What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what you guys mean about small town mechanics. I'm not living in a small town now, but I get super service at Swedish Auto in Montreal. I can chuck the key through the mail slot. They know my car. They only work on Volvos and Saabs.

Lost Money

Ever since we moved into our home, we had been getting mail for the former resident, who had passed away, and sent it back to the senders. We watched a segment on the Today show program this morning about finding money people had forgotten about or were not aware of.
They mentioned two websites: unclaimed.org and missingmoney.com
Some years ago I found a few thousand dollars for my next door neighbor, who had no idea it was hers.
I went to the California unclaimed property website and found there was over $20,00 in the former resident's accounts! I started googling his name, and came up with his brother's obituary from 2005! The obituary had his name, and all of his nieces and nephews' names. With some more input to a certain website, I got the phone numbers and e-mail addresses of his relatives.
Tonight I got a call from one of his nieces who was blown away by the information. I told her how to access the site, and she gave me the name of the man's son. I have found his e-mail address, and hope to hear from
him soon. I think the $20,000 will probably be his, it should make him very happy, but I want to stay out of any family dynamics.
Check out those websites, you may have found money.

Last edited:
I know what you guys mean about small town mechanics. I'm not living in a small town now, but I get super service at Swedish Auto in Montreal. I can chuck the key through the mail slot. They know my car. They only work on Volvos and Saabs.

Unfortunately, this past week a local shop that was started by two kids out of high school is closing this week. The building that their shop was in has been sold, and they couldn't afford to buy it. So often they would work on a car for pennies knowing the person needed the car for work. They worked more for the community than for profit. They are going to be sorely missed. The community tossed a huge party for them. :angel:

Ever since we moved into our home, we had been getting mail for the former resident, who had passed away, and sent it back to the senders. We watched a segment on the Today show program this morning about finding money people had forgotten about or were not aware of.
They mentioned two websites: unclaimed.org and missingmoney.com
Some years ago I found a few thousand dollars for my next door neighbor, who had no idea it was hers.
I went to the California unclaimed property website and found there was over $20,00 in the former resident's accounts! I started googling his name, and came up with his brother's obituary from 2005! The obituary had his name, and all of his nieces and nephews' names. With some more input to a certain website, I got the phone numbers and e-mail addresses of his relatives.
Tonight I got a call from one of his nieces who was blown away by the information. I told her how to access the site, and she gave me the name of the man's son. I have found his e-mail address, and hope to hear from
him soon. I think the $20,000 will probably be his, it should make him very happy, but I want to stay out of any family dynamics.
Check out those websites, you may have found money.

Thank you SousChef, important information for folks!

I went to Winthrop for my monthly checkup this morning. All is well. Or so I think. But I have an appointment with the NP on the 24th of this month. I have a few health issue that need attention. Oh great! More appointments in town at BMC.

Right now I am trying to get my apartment in condition for a "maybe" inspection tomorrow. They are picking apartments at random. I hope mine is not one of the random ones. I try to make the apartment clean, but not spotless. Dust some stuff, let the IRobot out to do the carpet, and just wipe off the stove. I need new drip pans. Fortunately, they just give them to us simply for the asking. This morning I noticed that one of the sockets had a damaged cover. It need replacing. When I went to use it this morning for my hair blower, it was wiggling. Not a good sign.

Right now I am so tired and sleepy. I didn't get to sleep until three in the morning and was up at six thirty. I should go to sleep now and worry about cleaning later. If I am lucky, I will be sleeping in the morning. And if they choose my apartment, they will take one look at me and leave. Suits me fine. I hated these dang inspections.

I gained three pounds back. So Pirate is cooking me a sausage and some rice. I didn't eat at all yesterday. And I am not hungry now. But I do have to eat every so often. :angel:

I've been wanting to finish up,then seam together the pieces of a sweater that I made.Today just might be the day it gets done.

Was going to ask hubby for the use of his body (be my dummy)while I pin it.
Don't think that's going to go over well.:ohmy: Unless I actually pin him.

No matter how I type that up it's just not sounding right.Just sayin':ROFLMAO::LOL:

In the corner we have CM wearing her day off clothes , in the opposite corner DHCM in a nice cardigan.....

How come he looks better?:LOL::ROFLMAO::D

It is all in the clothing. A raggety torn housecoat versus a lovely handmade knit sweater? No contest. A good excuse for you to convince DH that you are in dire need of a complete new wardrobe. He can carry the bags as you go from store to store. Like any loving hubby would do. :angel:

DH brought home a massive (and I mean massive!) cucumber from work. I deseeded, cut it up,and threw it in the blender along with some True Lemon packets, a couple squirts of agave nectar, and some water.

Love cucumber lemonade!

We have a vehicle repair shop in our neighborhood, which is in a small city. It might as well be a small town :LOL: DH will leave a vehicle there overnight; they have a slot in the door where you can drop the keys and a form with instructions on what you need done or checked and they'll take care of it. Then he walks home :)

That's how we do it, unfortunately it isn't within walking distance. We have the type of mechanic where we can drop it off and say "do whatever needs to be done" and they will do what needs to be done (i'm no dummy) at a good price.

My lament when we moved to MA is that it was harder to find a good mechanic than a good doctor. Then we found Dave. Assuming we land in the same general area of OH from where we moved, whenif we return we know we can go right back to the old mechanic Chris since he still has his shop.

I've lived here in this small town for a long time, and went to high school here in town with my plumber, heating and A/C guy, mechanic, and tire guy. :LOL: They've had successful businesses here for over 40 years, some are still actively running the business and some have retired and hired out managers. :)

Last edited:
My little home town where I grew up (I moved away a long time ago) has a pair of twins who are still the best mechanics and body shop guys around. The chief of police is also the town locksmith. One phone call was all it took when I was selling Mom's cars and house.

My little home town where I grew up (I moved away a long time ago) has a pair of twins who are still the best mechanics and body shop guys around. The chief of police is also the town locksmith. One phone call was all it took when I was selling Mom's cars and house.
I remember that Dawg, when your mom passed and you had so much business to take care of. :( That's awesome you were able to take care of it with a phone call. I've lived in a small town for so long now, I don't think I could handle living in a big city and going through the time it takes to go through some of the everyday legal processes. :ohmy:

Unfortunately for those who are retired with SS as a source of income, there will be no increase in January. Blame it on the plummeting prices of oil these past couple of months.

So I have my grocery list and coupons all ready for the monthly trip to Market Basket. So like others such as myself who are on a limited income, I will be heading out the door around 6:45 a.m. and be at the ready when they unlock the doors. This is a holiday weekend, the last for summer, and the store will be jammed on Thursday and Friday.

I still have a freezer half filled with meat from last month's shopping. I don't know if it has been the 90ºF. heat weather we have bee getting so much on lately, but I simply have no appetite. Even Pirate hasn't been eating very much. I would rather have a bowl of steamed veggies than meat.

I make up my list throughout the month. I keep it on my computer and a pad of paper beside it. I will write down any item I may run out of or think of needing or wanting for the next month's list. Then a couple of days before I am to go shopping, I will go over the list and hit all the coupon sites. If the coupon off is still more than the house brand, I don't use it. Flour, sugar and other daily household food items are mostly house brands for me. The most I have ever cut off my grocery list is $39.00. :angel:

Dreading being forced to be on the roads at all today.It's an hours + drive.

Have an appointment that can't be cancelled.It's really not even worth the trip, or stress.This weekend the place is going to be packed with tourists.Parking is going to be a problem.

Turn and burn.Do not pass go.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom