"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #12001
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Just finished doing what I do every day about 4 p.m. Brushed my hair, brushed my teeth, touched up my make-up and tidied up my clothes. Checked to see if I had any spills/spots. If I did, I'd change. I do this for my man. Always have.

I have always believed that if your husband spends hours every day working and making a life for us, the least I can do is to give him something pleasant to see when he comes home.

Glenn and I are both retired but he still does many, many wonderful things here. For example, the last three days he's spend a minimum of 7 hours each day on the tractor mowing/bush hogging the property. It's a hot, hard, dirty job.

As I said, I've always done this, especially when Buck and I were married because there were times when he/we held multiple jobs to keep the family fed and well. Again, it was the least I could do.

I learned this from a lady who used to take care of me and my siblings when I was a child. Her name was Mrs. Bencini and she was older than dirt but had the most awesome thick head of white hair. It was like a cloud and she was the gentlest and loveliest lady.

Each afternoon about 4 she'd go to the bathroom, splash some water on her face, comb her hair and put on a fresh apron. She always wore a white uniform (her choice) but her aprons were so colorful and pretty.

One day I asked her why she did what she did and she told me that the man of the house deserved to come home at night and be greeted by a fresh, pleasant face. I never forgot that and have applied that to my life.

Don't know if my men ever noticed. Doesn't matter to me. Perhaps that one day when things seem to have turned to crap, walking into the house to a smiling, freshly groomed wife might make just the tiniest difference. Doesn't cost me anything and it actually gives me a fresher attitude.

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise lady.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #12002
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
I bet they have noticed, Katie. It may seem old-fashioned to some, but I think it's a thoughtful thing to do. I'm "retired" now - actually on disability, so I do have some income - but DH does work hard, both at work and at home. When I am in the hospital, he comes over with a carafe of home-brewed coffee, my hazelnut creamer, and the morning paper, every day. So I think that's a great tradition, and I'm going to emulate it. Thanks for sharing your lovely idea
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #12003
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
The ribs are on the Ducane. Nothing to now but wait and drink beer
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #12004
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Enjoying a hot coffee
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #12005
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Just finished doing what I do every day about 4 p.m. Brushed my hair, brushed my teeth, touched up my make-up and tidied up my clothes. Checked to see if I had any spills/spots. If I did, I'd change. I do this for my man. Always have.

I have always believed that if your husband spends hours every day working and making a life for us, the least I can do is to give him something pleasant to see when he comes home.

Glenn and I are both retired but he still does many, many wonderful things here. For example, the last three days he's spend a minimum of 7 hours each day on the tractor mowing/bush hogging the property. It's a hot, hard, dirty job.

As I said, I've always done this, especially when Buck and I were married because there were times when he/we held multiple jobs to keep the family fed and well. Again, it was the least I could do.

I learned this from a lady who used to take care of me and my siblings when I was a child. Her name was Mrs. Bencini and she was older than dirt but had the most awesome thick head of white hair. It was like a cloud and she was the gentlest and loveliest lady.

Each afternoon about 4 she'd go to the bathroom, splash some water on her face, comb her hair and put on a fresh apron. She always wore a white uniform (her choice) but her aprons were so colorful and pretty.

One day I asked her why she did what she did and she told me that the man of the house deserved to come home at night and be greeted by a fresh, pleasant face. I never forgot that and have applied that to my life.

Don't know if my men ever noticed. Doesn't matter to me. Perhaps that one day when things seem to have turned to crap, walking into the house to a smiling, freshly groomed wife might make just the tiniest difference. Doesn't cost me anything and it actually gives me a fresher attitude.

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise lady.

I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise woman too! I always make sure to freshen up before seeing my Hubby. It is the least I can do. He is always so wonderful to me. I need to make sure that he realizes that I am happy to see him. Sometimes I think the dogs are in a competition with me to impress him more.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #12006
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've been skimming all the posts from all my dear DC friends before going grocery shopping. However, the posts in the threads I follow have been multiplying faster than bunny rabbits! So long for now, I'm heading out for grub.
Thanks for the video. So, that's the missing link between rock 'n roll and swing.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #12007
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
I am sad today as it is 13 years today since mum and I came home and found that my dear dad had passed away, very sad indeed

Mum is away on holiday at the moment but I will be phoning her soon to have a chat as we always like to get in contact on the anniversaries of dad's passing, it makes it feel better when we can both talk about it as it was terrible for both of us the day we found dad, something we both will never forget

I must think of all the good times though, it helps
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #12008
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I think Mrs. Bencini was a very wise woman too! I always make sure to freshen up before seeing my Hubby. It is the least I can do. He is always so wonderful to me. I need to make sure that he realizes that I am happy to see him. Sometimes I think the dogs are in a competition with me to impress him more.
Yes, chopper. Our dog, Harley, thinks I should take second seat to Glenn. I don't mind because she's not allowed in our bed.

I'm a bit old-fashioned in my relationship thinking but, somehow, it stood me in good stead with 32 years with Buck and, rocking chairs at the ready, another 32 with Glenn.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #12009
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I am sad today as it is 13 years today since mum and I came home and found that my dear dad had passed away, very sad indeed

Mum is away on holiday at the moment but I will be phoning her soon to have a chat as we always like to get in contact on the anniversaries of dad's passing, it makes it feel better when we can both talk about it as it was terrible for both of us the day we found dad, something we both will never forget

I must think of all the good times though, it helps
Kylie, I know how you feel. My dad has been gone for just over a year and my mom left us 18 years ago (both of them in March). Those anniversaries are always tough. I hope you have (had) a good conversation with your mom. You two have such a great relationship.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #12010
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'm trying to watch King & Maxwell and catch up on the latest posts. It's one of those multi-tasking things that rarely work, but I'm trying anyway.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.