What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went down, down, down as the flames went higher...

I have always told my Doctor I would probably start smoking again! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was referring to being cremated. :LOL:

I will not start smoking cigarettes again, it was too difficult to stop and they are now way to expensive for me to even consider. I need to find an inexpensive vice! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was shocked at how expensive cigarettes are! Someone was asking for a pack at the grocery store and the cashier says, "$7.00!" For one pack?! When DH and I started dating, when he smoked, I'd stop and get him a pack and they were less than a dollar a pack. When did that happen?

DH remembers when they were 65 cents a pack. It's all the taxes and add-ons, local, state, and federal. Tobacco isn't any more expensive, it's like growing wheat.

It's a bad addiction. Both my parents smoked. My dad quit many years before he died, but would always comment that he could pick it up again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Exactly! I knew it was less than a dollar. I don't know if it is like this everywhere but you can't smoke anywhere out here....restaurants, parks, pretty much just in your own home.

I got you all beat. As a kid, my girlfriend and it would go to the store to buy her father a pack of Chesterfields. He would give her two dimes,, and we would go to the store. Twenty cents a pack. Then when they went to $.23 a pack, if you got them out of a vending machine, you inserted a quarter and the two cents change was on the side of the pack under the cellophane. I always got to keep the two pennies. :angel:

I got you all beat. As a kid, my girlfriend and it would go to the store to buy her father a pack of Chesterfields. He would give her two dimes,, and we would go to the store. Twenty cents a pack. Then when they went to $.23 a pack, if you got them out of a vending machine, you inserted a quarter and the two cents change was on the side of the pack under the cellophane. I always got to keep the two pennies. :angel:

Some of those 1955 pennies were double struck and are now collectors items.

Smoking Pays Off For Collectors

Every person in this building that has quit smoking says that everyday they still want a cigarette. If that is true, then why would I want to quit at my age and spend what time I have being miserable? To live longer? I am 76. How long do you want folks to live to? 176? I don't want to live until I become infirmed and feeble. Right now I can still take care of myself, cook my own meals, clean my house and go where I want to. And I can still smoke. My life, my choice. Even my doctors no longer tell me to stop smoking. :angel:

I don't want to disappoint my Father. That is strong motivation. The problem now is Shrek has taken up smoking again...makes it quite difficult AND second hand smoke is just as bad as smoking...Every cigarette he has, so do I. Makes me angry.

DH remembers when they were 65 cents a pack. It's all the taxes and add-ons, local, state, and federal. Tobacco isn't any more expensive, it's like growing wheat.

It's a bad addiction. Both my parents smoked. My dad quit many years before he died, but would always comment that he could pick it up again in a heartbeat.

Demand for cigarettes has gone down a lot over the years, which increases prices. It's not difficult to grow tobacco, but it's not as profitable as it used to be, so growers have converted much of that farmland to other crops, or sold it for development.

I quit smoking in 1990. Haven't wanted a cigarette in many years.

Exactly! I knew it was less than a dollar. I don't know if it is like this everywhere but you can't smoke anywhere out here....restaurants, parks, pretty much just in your own home.

Here in Virginia, the heart of tobacco country, you can no longer smoke in public places inside, but you can smoke outside. I hate the smell now.

Just chilling on the sofa. My store and about 100 around me are going through major remodels. I'm being sent all over to do cakes, so every day I'm making a ton, only to go back to my store and have to do a ton more because I've been gone. I could work 7 days a week if I wanted to, but um...no.

Vacation starts Friday, and I'm really looking forward to it. Just got a call today from the district manager that she needs me to do cakes in another store for an important visitor, the day that I return from vacation, we have other people that we contract for things like this, but my district manager likes what I do, so she calls me. Well, it is job security, so I'm not complaining. :rolleyes:

May I ask why milkweed, TinLizzie?

Is it a component of a butterfly/bee garden?

Yes - it's the host plant for Monarch butterflies, who are losing habitat through big farming and suburbs. The eggs are laid on milkweeds, which are the only thing their caterpillars can eat. They won't eat anything else -- if there's worry about other plants.

Sorry, guys - I should have gone back a few pages; missed your comments on Monarchs. Three cheers for the Ogress and her new garden!

Hi all...

We got back from our Western Canadian trip late last night and it's wine time before dinner tonight. The suitcases can wait until later as my already gimpy bum knee took a terrible sprain the night before we left, so today it was time to get X rays of the damage. I can barely walk and will see the Dr. Thurs. The good news is it didn't happen at the start of the trip. Now that would have been terrible! Always look on the bright side.

We had perfect sunny weather with mild temps, the vistas of the Rocky Mountains, and the rest of the trip were worthy of my signature quote. What a remarkable part of this beautiful world! Steve\SousChef is already working on this trip story and pictures for our website, Travels Around the World With Steve & Kathy
and I'll let you know when it's complete.

It's always good to be home. East,West, home's always best. ;)

Last edited:
Demand for cigarettes has gone down a lot over the years, which increases prices. It's not difficult to grow tobacco, but it's not as profitable as it used to be, so growers have converted much of that farmland to other crops, or sold it for development.

I quit smoking in 1990. Haven't wanted a cigarette in many years.
It's still plenty profitable to grow tobacco. They just sell it to the third world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8

Hi all...

We got back from our Western Canadian trip late last night and it's wine time before dinner tonight. The suitcases can wait until later as my already gimpy bum knee took a terrible sprain the night before we left, so today it was time to get X rays of the damage. I can barely walk and will see the Dr. Thurs. The good news is it didn't happen at the start of the trip. Now that would have been terrible! Always look on the bright side.

We had perfect sunny weather with mild temps, the vistas of the Rocky Mountains, and the rest of the trip were worthy of my signature quote. What a remarkable part of this beautiful world! Steve\SousChef is already working on this trip story and pictures for our website, Travels Around the World With Steve & Kathy
and I'll let you know when it's complete.

It's always good to be home. East,West, home's always best. ;)

Welcome home! I'm glad to hear you two had such a wonderful trip - western Canada is spectacular. (I've never been to eastern CA but I'm sure it's gorgeous, too!) Sorry to hear about your knee Kay, but as you say it's a good thing it wasn't at the beginning of the trip. :ohmy: Take care of that knee, and looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing pics!

Back
Top Bottom