"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #12161
Head Chef

All this talk of pulled pork is making my mouth water! It's not something you see in my neck of the woods but every time I see it on TV I want some!

Is it a regional thing in the US or can you get it everywhere? I didn't notice anywhere selling it in AZ and the only other part of the US I have been to was New York City.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #12162
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
All this talk of pulled pork is making my mouth water! It's not something you see in my neck of the woods but every time I see it on TV I want some!

Is it a regional thing in the US or can you get it everywhere? I didn't notice anywhere selling it in AZ and the only other part of the US I have been to was New York City.
I think it's everywhere, any US region will have its own recipe/blend. For example, Hawaii has Kalua pork, cooked in a pit. It's very popular in Mexico too. Most do it in more traditional ways, the slow cooker just makes it very easy, and you get to ignore it till it's done.

I would think AZ has plenty of Mexican food, probably there would be your pulled pork. Carnitas, Cochinita Pibil, etc.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #12163
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think it's everywhere, any US region will have its own recipe/blend. For example, Hawaii has Kalua pork, cooked in a pit. It's very popular in Mexico too. Most do it in more traditional ways, the slow cooker just makes it very easy, and you get to ignore it till it's done.
I bet the pit version is really nice!

I have a slow cooker so I could make it myself but the problem is the quantity. Could I cook a piece of pork, shred it and freeze what I couldn't use straight away or would that ruin it?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #12164
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I bet the pit version is really nice!

I have a slow cooker so I could make it myself but the problem is the quantity. Could I cook a piece of pork, shred it and freeze what I couldn't use straight away or would that ruin it?
Sure. My little roast is less than 2 pounds, and I added some extra pieces. I usually get a whole pork loin, hack it to pieces, and freeze it in chops and chunks. There's just 2 of us. The pulled pork freezes well too. Any cut will do, though many prefer pork shoulder and other fattier cuts.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #12165
Head Chef

Quote:
Sure. My little roast is less than 2 pounds, and I added some extra pieces. I usually get a whole pork loin, hack it to pieces, and freeze it in chops and chunks. There's just 2 of us. The pulled pork freezes well too. Any cut will do, though many prefer pork shoulder and other fattier cuts.

Well I do believe I will give it a go then! Though I really don't think I'll be using orange crush....

I have seen several recipes that use cola so I would guess you would recommend it too?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #12166
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Well I do believe I will give it a go then! Though I really don't think I'll be using orange crush....

I have seen several recipes that use cola so I would guess you would recommend it too?
Yes, just don't use diet. Root beer and Dr. Pepper are also popular. And homemade or good store-bought BBQ sauce. Check around here, lots of good recipes!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #12167
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes, just don't use diet. Root beer and Dr. Pepper are also popular. And homemade or good store-bought BBQ sauce. Check around here, lots of good recipes!
I only ever have the normal Coca Cola so that's no problem.

Now, as for BBQ sauce.... I am not a fan of the stuff as I find it far too sweet and sickly (or too hot). But I know you need a sauce for pulled pork, and I recently got something called "Jack Daniels Tennessee Style Barbecue Sauce" which is actually rather nice.

Go on. Are you appalled and disgusted?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #12168
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Now, as for BBQ sauce.... I am not a fan of the stuff as I find it far too sweet and sickly (or too hot). But I know you need a sauce for pulled pork, and I recently got something called "Jack Daniels Tennessee Style Barbecue Sauce" which is actually rather nice.

Sounds good to me! A bit of vinegar unsweetens things too.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #12169
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

OK by me. I use bottled BBQ sauce because I really like it. If you don't like sweet sauce (I don't either) there are alternatives. I like Bullseye Original. Weber Hickory smoke is a close second.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #12170
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

I didn't used to think I liked BBQ sauce, because I had only tried the sweet one. There are loads of styles of BBQ sauce and they don't need to be sweet. They can be anywhere from mild to fiery hot. They are easy to make.

If you can get pork shoulder (I prefer bone-in for extra flavour), I think that would be your best bet for pulled pork. Tougher, fattier meats, that have grisly bits work well when slow cooked. The grisly bits melt and make it easier to pull apart the meat when it's done and add an unctuous mouth feel to the sauce.