What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just poking my head in to let y'all know that everything is OK!

Went on vacation, came home and a day later lost my grandmother, so off to Maine. Now that is all settled I shouldn't be so distracted. Work is a bear right now though.

Being home to say goodbye to my grandmother was bitter sweet, she's finally at rest and lived to a ripe old age of 93, but in the last couple years Alzheimers had taken hold and we hated to see her this way. She never got to the point where she forgot everyone. She still knew that they were a familiar face as soon as they entered the room, even though she would be at a loss for a name. I was able to see cousins that I hadn't seen in 20 years, we were so close as children and it's strange how life takes us in different directions, but we fell right back into place like not a day has passed. I guess that my grandmother's final gift was bringing us back together.

My condolences, BC. She had a long and happy life.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Alzheimer's???

Condolences BC. How is your mum doing?

Thanks all for your kind words.

Mom is doing well, losing a parent is like nothing else, but she's handling it well. She was able to fly home to visit her a couple times this summer and enjoy some surprisingly lucid days with her.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

So sorry to hear of your loss, Bakechef. I agree, in my family, some of our best times were at the receptions following my grandparents', and later, my parents' funerals.

Us cousins all have wicked senses of humor.

I have been asked on more than occasion to please leave the funeral home during a wake. My behavior was not very dignified. Cracking joke after joke about the deceased and getting everyone else involved is not appreciated by the owners of the business. There is always more laughter than tears. :angel:

Well, my daughter took me shopping for a whole new wardrobe. Normally, I go with her in my light wheelchair. She pushes, I ride. But knowing I would be trying clothes on and getting up and down from the chair, we decided to let that option pass. As a result, I am EXHAUSTED! One of the first thing I noticed (Sears) was there was no handicap button to open the doors. If I had been there alone in a wheelchair, I would have had to sit there and wait for someone to come along and hold the door open for me. I will be reporting that.

I need to rest. :angel:

You need a new funeral director, Addie! :LOL: Our daughter has asked me that if we die when we still live in MA, do we want to be buried out of Golubski's. If I am, I'll be 4th generation to do so. As it is, my Dad's old barber Danny married into the family and always kidded my Dad that he would give Dad his very last haircut. Danny was cracking jokes about Dad right alongside all the family at his wake.

I'm logging off and going to spend money. :D I'll see you guys after shopping two stores and shoe-horning all the new food into the 'fridge.

I am sitting here wondering if someone can help me. We used to have an eating place in our mall that was called Bishops. I would love to have their recipes for their sloppy joe's and their carrot soufflé, (I know it had powdered sugar sprinkled on top of the carrots). Does anyone who worked there have these recipes?

You need a new funeral director, Addie! :LOL: Our daughter has asked me that if we die when we still live in MA, do we want to be buried out of Golubski's. If I am, I'll be 4th generation to do so. As it is, my Dad's old barber Danny married into the family and always kidded my Dad that he would give Dad his very last haircut. Danny was cracking jokes about Dad right alongside all the family at his wake.

I'm logging off and going to spend money. :D I'll see you guys after shopping two stores and shoe-horning all the new food into the 'fridge.

The funny thing is I went to school with the owner of the funeral parlor. I will admit though we were really raucous. There were two other wakes going on at the same time. We did go out and stayed there until we could stop laughing. In the meantime one of the visitors from one of the other wakes came out and gave us a real nasty dirty look. She made it a point to stop and let us have it. But that didn't stop me when I went to the next wake. :angel:

The funny thing is I went to school with the owner of the funeral parlor. I will admit though we were really raucous. There were two other wakes going on at the same time. We did go out and stayed there until we could stop laughing. In the meantime one of the visitors from one of the other wakes came out and gave us a real nasty dirty look. She made it a point to stop and let us have it. But that didn't stop me when I went to the next wake. :angel:

Am I really the only one who thinks that's inconsiderate and disrespectful? Sad.

Wakes just are not a part of my culture, although I understand the celebration of life.
This
I will admit though we were really raucous. There were two other wakes going on at the same time. We did go out and stayed there until we could stop laughing. In the meantime one of the visitors from one of the other wakes came out and gave us a real nasty dirty look. She made it a point to stop and let us have it. But that didn't stop me when I went to the next wake. :angel:
is both inconsiderate and disrespectful.

My family has always behaved at funerals. We would let loose at the reception afterward, which was at the house or another large gathering place.

The exception was Wally, a big bassett hound, who came to pay his last respects to my grandma during the visitation. Both my dad and I chased after him, he outran us both, said "hi" to Grandma in her casket, then popped back out the front door.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness!

In Romania, dogs are allowed of funerals. I was very young when Papa's Mamma went away. She had a cat and Papa brought the cat to the memory of her in the church. The cat settled upon her casket and sat from the beginning to of the very end. The cat was of the name Garlo and he became my pet cat for many years! Papa gave him to me!
We had to make him go asleep. He was 19 years old and he had of the cancer. I cried so very much!
When I die, I wish for many pets to tell me good-bye. That is so nice, yes?

~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom