What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see grieving as the pain of losing a loved one. The shock of the loss and its impact on you. Grief would occur at the time of the loss and immediately following.

Missing someone is more of an extended feeling of wanting their presence for interaction.
Yes I agree that missing someone and grief are different. My point is that they are part of the same spectrum and differ along that scale in terms of intensity, grieving occurring (as you say) at the time of loss and immediately following this. The process then gives way to a less painful aspect in relating to the person by way of missing them.

Last edited:
Dagnabbit. The Asian ladybugs have returned. A glorious, windy, sunny day, but when I went out to do some more yardwork, they were in my hair, on my legs, all over the outside of the house. Those things bite! They don't sting, but they do cause pain! And if you squish them, they stink. Apparently the soybeans have been harvested, so now they're looking for their winter housing. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to import them so they could take care of the aphid population.

So I'm making soup. Inside.

Last edited:
A few years ago I was in Iowa visiting a friend and went into his barn and there must of been 10K of the critters in there dead. I never heard of such a thing. I was also abhorred at the site of all the wind turbines.

I did house work and laundry today and catching up on things left undone.

A few years ago I was in Iowa visiting a friend and went into his barn and there must of been 10K of the critters in there dead. I never heard of such a thing. I was also abhorred at the site of all the wind turbines.

Yep, Iowa. We have Spring gnat season, Summer mosquito and gnat season, and now Fall Asian ladybug season. No wonder my gardens are overgrown, I can't get out there to work on them!

You abhorred the sight of the wind turbines? Why?

Man oh man, you have a lot of bug problems there Dawg! I normally like a few ladybugs but those sound nasty! Are they the pretty red and black ones?

I just got home from a TJ run, and getting a hair cut. Actually she cut more than one. Badda Bing...

Dagnabbit. The Asian ladybugs have returned. A glorious, windy, sunny day, but when I went out to do some more yardwork, they were in my hair, on my legs, all over the outside of the house. Those things bite! They don't sting, but they do cause pain! And if you squish them, they stink. Apparently the soybeans have been harvested, so now they're looking for their winter housing. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to import them so they could take care of the aphid population.

So I'm making soup. Inside.

Your post reminded me of this old nursery rhyme, another one of the gruesome stories that have been handed down from parent to child for centuries! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW412mHyvY4

Man oh man, you have a lot of bug problems there Dawg! I normally like a few ladybugs but those sound nasty! Are they the pretty red and black ones?

I just got home from a TJ run, and getting a hair cut. Actually she cut more than one. Badda Bing...

Life in the country, Kay. These come in all sorts of colors, yellow to red, black spots or not. They're not our pretty native ones, but nasty, vicious imports with a propensity for pinching. One should not mess with Mother Nature, they should have never brought them here.

:LOL: Aunt Bea!

DH and I were staining the house a few years back. It didn't work, we kept getting pinched by Asian ladybugs. They were not lady-like. Ended up having to hire a guy.

Last edited:
We drove through pouring rain (that was supposed to be a sprinkle) to another town for a dear friend's celebration of life get-together. Just got back home, the thunder and lightning were still there, but thankfully the rain stopped.

What Cheryl said.
flower-004.gif

Thanks, guys, she was definitely one of a kind.

The wake, for lack of a better word, was held in her tiny but very unique house, with her children and grands there, along with other friends and family. They even had a jazz band from where she frequented, along with a lot of food, wine, and beer. Just as she would have wanted it.

...Just as she would have wanted it.
As it should be.

I've already told Himself (who is broken and worn out just a little more than I am) and, more importantly, the kids, that if I am ever in a place where it looks like I don't have long to go, I want to be waked while I am still awake! I want them to throw a party, track down as many family and friends as they can find, and have them all over for drinks and food. And to reminisce. And to tell me either how much fun I was or how big of a pain in the posterior I was. Either way. It's not like I'd have a long enough time to hold a grudge. ;)

I am playing chess with Joyce.

I have seen of these posts, and I am very sorry, Dawgluver. I wish to be of my ashes on the Black Sea and for no party or wake. I wish to be of remembered of others' lives as they go on and remember always kindness and love to show for anyone. There is so very much hurt in the world, and I wish for those who remember me to go forward with very much kindness and compassion for all others.

~Cat

Thanks Cat.

We sprinkled my mom's cremated ashes over the places she loved best, just my siblings and me, a few years ago. We walked around the island that we all summered on, on our favorite lake. It was poigniant, but also pretty funny as we told stories, and I got to do the sprinkling, as siblings were creeped out. I wore gloves.

Last edited:
There are a lot of those sprinkler toppers for sale on Ebay. Here's one still in the package!

Vintage Mirro Bottle Top Clothes Sprinkler New Old Stock on SEALED Card | eBay

I remember people putting these in ketchup bottles. My mother just got a bowl of water and sprinkled the clothes with her hand. She also rolled them up, put them in a plastic bag, and put them in the refrigerator. I sure love wash and wear! LOL

I just noticed the package shows sprinkling water on a BBQ grill!!

Last edited:
I rolled out of bed after having the craziest dreams about making sausage with with the Kelcher family (Alaska the Last Frontier show). Good grief, we made it all night and I didn't even get up once to use the bathroom. Needless to say, I just finished eating sausage and eggs for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom