"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #12221
Chef Extraordinaire

Is that the one with June Lockhart as Timmy's mother?

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with dinner tonight.

I'm leaning towards seafood, but seafood doesn't always fill me up unless it's breaded, like perch,, so it would need a really good side.
And while a clambake would be good, I don't want to put my face over all that steaming food. I don't want as "hot" of a dish.
And the heatwave (even though I am air-conditioned) has me leaning towards something that doesn't take a long time to either prep or cook. Not unless it's totally new to me, then I might put in the extra effort.

I'm not locked into seafood though, so any suggestions are welcome.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #12222
Chef Extraordinaire

Damn it! I just missed an opportunity to run off some door knockers
I'm sitting here at work and saw the car come in and turn around. No doubt they knocked at the house and disturbed my dogs' rest
Even though I know they are *normal* people, some of my customers are Jehovahs, That door to door thing really ticks me off and I like to let them know it.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #12223
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Damn it! I just missed an opportunity to run off some door knockers
I'm sitting here at work and saw the car come in and turn around. No doubt they knocked at the house and disturbed my dogs' rest
Even though I know they are *normal* people, some of my customers are Jehovahs, That door to door thing really ticks me off and I like to let them know it.
Back in the 80s, on a day that I was ill and had very little brains, an older lady JW wouldn't go away. My ex saw the situation. He took off all his clothes and came and stood next to me. She was fumbling in her bag for some propaganda. When she looked up she said, "Hoh boy!"; stuffed her publications back in her bag; and ran down the stairs. She never came back. In fact, we never had any JW visits again in that flat.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #12224
Chef Extraordinaire

I love it!
With my luck though, seeing as how I wouldn't have an SO standing next to me, she'd take it as an invite to come in
And the one I saw get out at my neighbor's house after they left here I'd be in big trouble if you know what I mean
Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #12225
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I love it!
With my luck though, seeing as how I wouldn't have an SO standing next to me, she'd take it as an invite to come in
And the one I saw get out at my neighbor's house after they left here I'd be in big trouble if you know what I mean
Wanna be careful of that.

Now I'm reminded of another story from that flat. The flat was on the third floor, so the outside door was on the second floor and there were inside stairs to my flat. One morning someone rang the bell. I was asleep and it woke me. I buzzed him in and he said he wanted to read my electric meter. "Can I see some ID?" He pointed at the Q (for Hydro Quebec, our electric company) on his collar. I said, "That's a Q, not ID. I want ID with your picture on it." He replied, "This is good enough." Me, "Fine, wait here."

I went and got the Riot shotgun. It's a short barrelled, 12 gauge, pump action shotgun. By the time I got to the door, he was hurrying down the stairs.

I think he really was from Hydro Quebec. After that, whenever someone wanted to read my meter, the person always had ID out and facing the glass door, before they rang my bell. There must have been a note in my file.

I just realized that this must all have happened in the late '70s, because by the '80s, we were living up north in a log cabin.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #12226
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No one comes in unless I recognize them or they show properID...when I set up appointments for cable, etc. I make sure they know that when I set it up. LOL! I don't have to reach far for protection.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #12227
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No one comes in unless I recognize them or they show properID...when I set up appointments for cable, etc. I make sure they know that when I set it up. LOL! I don't have to reach far for protection.
I didn't feel I needed protection. I was just giving him the option of not going back for his ID.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #12228
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Is that the one with June Lockhart as Timmy's mother?
No. The series started in the late 50's and Tommy Rettig played Jeff. His widow mother was played by Jan Howard and Grandpa lived with them also. Then a couple of years later, the mother got married and they sold the farm. That is when J. Lockart and her husband bought the farm. Jeff's family couldn't take Lassie with them so they left her there for Timmy and the new family. It was on every Sunday night at 7.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #12229
Chef Extraordinaire

I hate when people say they can't take their dog with them.
Were they moving into an apartment with restrictions?
It's not like insurance companies had a "hot breed" list back in the fifties.

So the Lassie I grew up with was a cast off dog. I may never recover.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #12230
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I hate when people say they can't take their dog with them.
Were they moving into an apartment with restrictions?
It's not like insurance companies had a "hot breed" list back in the fifties.

So the Lassie I grew up with was a cast off dog. I may never recover.
I put that akin to finding a home with just one bedroom and telling your children you can't take them with you. No room for them.