What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fried local oysters!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Attachments

• 1450484912581.jpg
    1450484912581.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 146
How do you get a small, black, 4 month old kitten to stop running and jumping? I'd put him in his carrier but he howls!!!! It's a lot like trying to take care of a Post OP dementia patient, only smaller...

How do you get a small, black, 4 month old kitten to stop running and jumping? I'd put him in his carrier but he howls!!!! It's a lot like trying to take care of a Post OP dementia patient, only smaller...

We had a small black kitten umpteen years ago. In the apartment where we lived then, we could close doors to the bedroom, bathroom and dining room and trap her in a tiny hallway. It was the only way we could get any sleep :ROFLMAO:

I should be sleeping...

I just finished watching a very interesting show on PBS. It was an episode of "Lidia Celebrates America", the Home For The Holidays episode. Lidia had six celebrities at her table, and also in individual segments, highlighting the different cultural celebrations for the Christmas season. I wouldn't mind sitting at a table with the likes of Rita Moreno, Marcus Samuelsson, and four others. It was very interesting.

If you want to see it, PBS has the video of the complete series on their website.

Lidia Celebrates America | PBS Food

I just finished watching a very interesting show on PBS. It was an episode of "Lidia Celebrates America", the Home For The Holidays episode. Lidia had six celebrities at her table, and also in individual segments, highlighting the different cultural celebrations for the Christmas season. I wouldn't mind sitting at a table with the likes of Rita Moreno, Marcus Samuelsson, and four others. It was very interesting.

If you want to see it, PBS has the video of the complete series on their website.

Lidia Celebrates America | PBS Food

I saw it during the week and it was an excellent program. Each year Lydia does a Christmas Special. So worth watching. One year it was all about how her family escaped and the little room that her family lived in. How they celebrated Christmas there along with all the other refugees. Even though she touched on it this year, that year it was more in depth. That year it even touched on her first Christmas in America. Being a refugee is not fun. Not knowing if you are going to ever find a place to live? Where do you belong?

Lydia and her family really understand what it is to be grateful for coming to America. And she never forgets it. :angel:

Good looking oyster dinner, Dave!

CG, thanks for posting the link to Lidia's show - I think I'll kick back in the recliner with a cup of tea this afternoon and watch it. It's a cloudy, lazy day today. :)

GG, how nice of hubby to make breakfast for you.

I just put a beautiful 10 lb. pork shoulder roast in the oven to slow roast for a few hours. I usually give my bachelor brother food of some kind for Christmas, and I know he appreciates vacuum sealed bags of pulled pork. He would never bother to buy a roast and make it himself. :LOL: I'll give him a couple of packages of hoagie rolls and some spiced pecans as well - he'll like that. Other than that, being lazy today! :)

What a thoughtful Christmas gift for your brother Cheryl! Any bachelor would be thrilled with that. So much better than a fruitcake doorstop.

:LOL: That made me laugh!

The foodie gifts started about 10 years ago - he is THE most difficult person to buy for. :wacko: Once I found out how easy it was to give him edible gifts and how much he appreciated them, it saved a lot of frustration. He usually gives me a Home Depot gift card, and I couldn't be happier with that! :)

All day I have been sitting at the computer off and on when I felt well enough to do so looking for a certain recipe for buttercream frosting. I am making a Christmas Wreath cake for my daughter and it does not require as much frosting as a layer cake. So I finally find one and then decide I don't want a buttercream frosting after all. I want a cream cheese frosting. So back to the hunt.

Now I have made frosting of both kinds many, many times. But I don't know if it is just old age or my crankiness today. But for the life of me I couldn't remember how to make either one. I find a cream cheese one that I am very familiar with. Now I think I am happy. Aha! Not so fast stupid. You also need a royal frosting. Back to the computer. Find one that requires Just Whites. Here I am thinking I don't have any on hand. Yes you do stupid. Look in the fridge and cabinet. I have a whole new can that I haven't even opened yet. I only need to make a small amount for about eight to ten small holly leaves.

:ohmy: I need to take a nap and get into a better mood. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching The Sound of Music Sing Along version on ABC. They have the words printed on the screen, and you can bet I'm singing along, as is DH! I've never seen this word thing before! Great idea!

(Though I already know all the words...)

Last edited:
If looks could kill, huh, taxy? Miss Philippines sure looked a little wary. I know I would not want to be the person who got that crown after poor Steve's faux pas.

I'm as awake as a little kid early on Christmas morn. We're ready to head to OH when we get up from sleep. Only I can't fall asleep! Haven't seen the kids for a year and I'm chomping at the bit. Knowing me, I'll fall asleep before we cross the state line into CT. :LOL:

Watching The Sound of Music Sing Along version on ABC. They have the words printed on the screen, and you can bet I'm singing along, as is DH! I've never seen this word thing before! Great idea!

(Though I already know all the words...)
Nothing like a karaoke movie, huh Dawg? One of the theaters in Cleveland will run that movie, or some other one with subtitle lyrics, and the entire house sings along! People dress up in character, entire families have been known to come as the Von Trapps. It's like a wholesome, family version of Rocky Horror! :ROFLMAO:

Glad I'm not Steve Harvey tonight.

Wow! I wondered what you meant last night Andy. I sure feel for him, the look on his face was like a deer in the headlights. :ohmy:

If looks could kill, huh, taxy? Miss Philippines sure looked a little wary. I know I would not want to be the person who got that crown after poor Steve's faux pas.

I'm as awake as a little kid early on Christmas morn. We're ready to head to OH when we get up from sleep. Only I can't fall asleep! Haven't seen the kids for a year and I'm chomping at the bit. Knowing me, I'll fall asleep before we cross the state line into CT. :LOL:

The tear jerker lovely song, "Ill Be Home for Christmas" is going through my head for you CG!! There's nothing in the world better than being with your kids for Christmas. Christmas blessings to all of you, and travel safe.

Thanks, Kayelle. Popping in during a pit stop - we're about a third of the way there. Looks like we'll be "home" tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile, I'M not the one taking a long time at this pit stop...

I just spent 10 - 15 minutes cozying up to Monkey trying to earn her forgiveness for letting her out and then falling asleep for three hours before letting her back in! She was cold, wet and hungry but survived the ordeal quite well. A few tummy rubs, ear scratches and dinner seemed to do the trick!

I am now hoping to go make another batch of shortbread with a twist! I made sugar cookies with royal for the kids this year in the shape of sweaters and decorated to look like "Ugly Christmas Sweaters"! The children in two units in our building don't eat eggs so I had to come up with a different combo for these kids. They are all so cute (6 in total but you have to give to the parents too, right? LOL).

So, I am making a standard shortbread recipe and instead of using royal icing I am trying a basic water and icing sugar glaze, and having it set up a little on the hard side. I will decorate with edible felt pens and I have some decorations that are totally safe!

At the same time, I am making nut clusters for TB that have cashews and dark chocolate rather than the peanut/chocolate chip/butterscotch chip recipe I use for my regular ones. If there is time before he gets home, I might make some pepita brittle for yours truly! :)

One of our dear friends who lives in another state got a girlfriend a couple years ago. We just met her a few days ago, and thankfully for him, DH and I approve of her.

We all went out tonight and had a lovely time, even though we were all dead-tired.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom