What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished an online consult with a bride and groom I am doing a cake for in 6 weeks. This is definitely a first for me - the whole wedding is themed around the game The Legend of Zelda and the cake will be as well. But surprisingly they went for a fairly traditional look using the crest and sword as gold decorations on a white fondant covered cake. The three tiers will be triangular as this is a key symbol for the game. We will be having a tasting in 2 weeks to determine flavours.

This is my first wedding cake in a few years and I have to say I am really looking forward to it. And I have a young protege who will be helping so that is nice.

LP, it's great that you're feeling well enough to tackle cake baking/decorating again!

Pictures when you're done, OK?

Thanks, CG. I am getting what I can done decoration and planning wise ahead of time, and having the helper will make it a lot easier on me. This is a test to see how I can handle it.

And there will definitely be pictures!

When I filled the front bird feeder and suet cage this morning I had no idea I would be treated to such an awesome "movie." I can barely leave the sofa.

I would have to say this afternoon has been a cardinal "extravaganza." I haven't seen many other birds, except for a red-headed woodpecker who likes one of the trees there. Well, he does have a red head, so I suppose he expects to be part of the group.

A few minutes ago I counted 27 cardinals, males and hens, with many more flying in to join them. It's one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen, especially with the brilliant sun shining across them and the snow- and ice-covered trees sparkling.

Wow...just wow!

Sounds beautiful, Katie!

----------------------

I decided to do some re-arranging of some canned goods, pasta, grains, etc. Then I thought, well, why not wipe down the inside of those cupboards while I was at it. Two cupboards led to 3, then 4, then 5 - and now I've created a monster. :ohmy::wacko::LOL: There's not an empty space on the kitchen countertops, and it's almost time to start dinner. Oy. :D

How I would have loved to have seen that beautiful picture you painted with the birds and the snow Katie! I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Cardinal in person.

We had a wonderful day with our little Cheyenne at her house today. I called her Mom and Dad several days ago and told them they needed some alone time together, so we wanted to come and stay with her while they went to a matinee movie and had a "Lupper" meal, just the two of them. The bonus was we got to play with her alone all afternoon. What a heart throb entertainer she is, at just past 2 yrs old.
Our kids came back in a wonderful mood, and it was a win-win for everyone. Now that's a good day!:mrgreen:

Cardinals and snow do make the prettiest sight, Katie. We have a lot around here too, along with a lovely bunch of other winter birds. And many squirrels.

Glad you got so much done, Cheryl! Kay, that was so nice of you to give the kids a date day, and you got time to spend with Cheyenne! Two is a fun age, but they sure keep you going!

I threw out a bunch of leftovers that were past their prime, and packaged up some nice chuck roast chunks for my overstuffed freezer. We got to 40°F, so were able to take Beagle on a nice long walk. We even got divebombed by a robin.

Last edited:
How I would have loved to have seen that beautiful picture you painted with the birds and the snow Katie! I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Cardinal in person.

We had a wonderful day with our little Cheyenne at her house today. I called her Mom and Dad several days ago and told them they needed some alone time together, so we wanted to come and stay with her while they went to a matinee movie and had a "Lupper" meal, just the two of them. The bonus was we got to play with her alone all afternoon. What a heart throb entertainer she is, at just past 2 yrs old.
Our kids came back in a wonderful mood, and it was a win-win for everyone. Now that's a good day!:mrgreen:

I love the way you put that Kay, it really is a win-win for all. I'm so glad you had a great day with sweet little Cheyenne! Our kids work hard all week and need some alone time with each other, and the grands benefit so much getting to know grandma and grandpa. It only gets better. :wub:

I am presently nursing Pirate through the loss of the Patriots to the Broncos. Along with a case of the flu. The good side? No special foods to cook for the game. Too sick to eat. I just wish I could get more liquids into him. He has an appointment for an MRI on his spine early in the morning. I will call first thing in the morning and cancel. Will have to reschedule it also.

I did make up a batch of sugar cookie dough, made it into a roll and now it is in the freezer. My granddaughter will be coming down from Maine in a couple of weeks and she loved the last ones I made for her. So this time I made it into a roll so she could just cut off slices and bake as many as she wants to at a time. I am going to make peanut butter cookies for her also. Those are her ultimate favorite. And the have childhood memories for her. I am going to have to bake those though so I can put the crisscross on them. Then I will freeze them also.

As the saying goes, "Be grateful for small things." And today I am. We didn't get the worst of the storm. After it had stopped you could still go outside and walk in the snow. Two inches is hardly enough to sneeze at. And the temps will be going up to the high 40's this week, so it will melt fast.

I do feel bad for the south that got hit so hard. They are not used to driving in this kind of weather. And you can bet very few of them have snow tires. The kids are happy though. As they should be. When was the last time they ever got a snow day off from school? :angel:

Last edited:

I remember the pictures you posted of Cheyenne when she was born. How fortunate you are to get to spend time with her. Out of 17 GKs I only got to see three of them grow up. All the rest live too far away. My youngest one is seven years old and live at least two hours away. My son does send pictures to my email and I often Skype with him. Now my oldest Great grandchild is in college and old enough to make me a great, great grandma. Heavens forbid! :angel:

Thanks Addie. Indeed I know what a blessing Cheyenne is to my life, such a little wee one two years ago, so premature. She's tiny still, but a ball of adorable energy and such a joyful little girl so full of the promise of life. It's been over 20 years since I had my last two grandchildren. In the end, thankfully, life goes on.

Kayelle, there are ten years between my last two kids. So when Poo came along, he was a premie also. But by then Pirate decided he wanted to live with his father. So I got to enjoy Poo all alone. The other kids were all grown and out on their own and Pirate was with his father. It was so much fun watching Poo grow up. Twenty-four hours of playtime and teaching him all the things I wanted him to learn. His father missed out on so much. He would be out shrimping for 15 days and then home for only 48 hours. Back out shrimping. He missed out on Poo's first step, first word, first tooth, etc. So many firsts. And Poo missed out learning male things from his father. When his father was home, he used to go in his walker and follow his father into the bathroom and watch him shave. He also used to go into the shower with him while he was in his walker. He got to see his father do a some things, but not nearly enough or for long enough.

I was the one who taught him to stand up at the toilet. How to unzip his pants to go to the bathroom, brush his teeth by himself, etc. I also had to teach him how to wear a tux to his first school prom. I even had to teach him how to ask a girl out for a date. He was just too bashful. If someone says that kids are okay with just one parent, do not know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, today he has no memory of his father. Only a picture. I found a handkerchief a couple of weeks ago that belonged to his father. I don't know why I have held onto it for all these years. I called Poo and told him about how his father wouldn't leave the house without a clean handkerchief. "I am the same way Ma! Every day I have to have a clean handkerchief before I will leave the house. And it has to be ironed". I asked him if he would like to have it. I am surprised you didn't hear him yell "Yes" in California. It is the only tangible thing he has of his father. It never occurred to keep something of Phil's when I was clearing out his stuff. Poo was still just a baby and the thought never crossed my mind. :angel:

Killin' time while Tyler finishes his after school snack and watches Caillou. :) He's having a cup of blueberry Chobani yogurt, 2 cuties, grapes, half an apple, graham crackers, Goldfish, and chocolate milk. Man, can that kid eat. :LOL: He's a slender little guy with lots of energy, so it's all good.

It's a beautiful sunny day, so when he's done we're headed out to the backyard to play baseball. He keeps hitting the balls over the fence - good thing I have spares until the neighbors get home from work and throw them back. :LOL:

Last edited:
Sounds like you two are having a great time, Cheryl!

DH accidently did something to the upstairs TV, pushed a wrong button or something, so it doesn't work right now. I looked at it, but it's too dark in the room to fix. I told him I'd work on it tomorrow. So now he's loudly watching his beloved team in the family room. I firmly believe in multiple TVs.

Last edited:
...So now he's loudly watching his beloved team in the family room. I firmly believe in multiple TVs.
Me, too. Two people + 4 TVs = one happy me.

Until Himself finds new cables for our second converter box, I'll continue needing to move the one we have between the TV in the basement and the one in the 2nd floor den. Since I tend to be in the basement in the warm weather and the den when it's cold, I can make due with one converter box. At least the TV on the kitchen counter is a newer, HD unit. All I know is I can always hide from Himself and his (loud) TV choice when I need to.

Killin' time while Tyler finishes his after school snack and watches Caillou. :) He's having a cup of blueberry Chobani yogurt, 2 cuties, grapes, half an apple, graham crackers, Goldfish, and chocolate milk. Man, can that kid eat. :LOL: He's a slender little guy with lots of energy, so it's all good.

It's a beautiful sunny day, so when he's done we're headed out to the backyard to play baseball. He keeps hitting the balls over the fence - good thing I have spares until the neighbors get home from work and throw them back. :LOL:

Sounds like he is ready for the diamond at the park. All you will need then will be a dog to chase and return the balls. :angel:

I was awake at 3:30 a.m. Got dressed and headed out to the store at 6:30 for some emergency items that I ran out of. Now I am on my second cup of coffee and trying vey hard to wake up completely.

When I went out the door on my scooter, the temp was a balmy 38ºF. Not warm enough for my feet. I realized that as I started out the door. I was going to go back upstairs and put socks on. I haven't worn socks on a regular basis for 10-15 years. Have to now in the winter. Cold is not good for the feet of a diabetic. Instead I braved the trip to the store and rushed back at top speed. A whole seven mph. My feet were numb when I got inside my apartment. I am presently losing the battle of not having enough sleep. May head back to bed. :angel:

Today I volunteered as docent on the caboose of our tourist train. A lady brought her grandson, and they both loved the view from up in the cupola.
On the return trip I had 2 couples, each with a child. They all took tourn up in the cupola,
I enjoy it because it is a much more intimate setting that the regular cars on the train. You really have time to chat with the passengers.

Attachments

• caboose.jpg
    caboose.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 166
Looking forward to the live performance of Grease on Fox tonight! Tell me more, tell me more...

DH is not. He can watch sports upstairs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom