"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #12521
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished prepping tomorrow night's dinner.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinoy pork.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	18407

Filipino Style Pork Barbecue

Old 08-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #12522
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just finished prepping tomorrow night's dinner.
Attachment 18407

Filipino Style Pork Barbecue
That recipe sounds delicious. I wonder what they used before they had 7 Up.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #12523
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I will not ride with my Dad, if forced I lay down in the backseat and try to sleep. This is the same person who taught me to drive...Mom or my Brother do all the driving now.
Often one of the residents here will offer to drive me somewhere. I always turn them down. Have you ever seen a 90 y.o. drive? I get nervous just watching them leave the parking lot. Our resident maintenance man is parked right next to the exit. It can take him as long as five minutes to back up and get out onto the street. One of these days I am going to call the RMV and report him.

I can understand that the elderly don't want to stop driving and lose their freedom. But we do have an excellent public transit system and the elderly pay half price for the cab. I am also sure their children will gladly drive them to go shopping. They can get their groceries delivered for free.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #12524
Master Chef

Quote:
Our new giant Goodwill store opened Thursday, they are in a space about twice the size of what they had before. We are going to go take a wander through. If I can convince Shrek, we will wander down to the Farmer's Market, too. If n ot I will drop him back home and go myself.
Now I understand why you cleaned out those closets a few days ago!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #12525
Chef Extraordinaire

Am I in the wrong?

Most of the residents in this building are Catholic. Fine. I am Protestant. On each floor there is a bulletin board next to the elevator for posting of upcoming events like the monthly birthday parties in the Community Room. The board on the first floor is where residents who have had a death or other event in their life will place a "Thank You" card for all to read. It usually stays there about a month before it comes down. I have no problem with that.

What I am having a problem with is that lately some of the residents have been pinning up pictures of saints and other Catholic printings. I don't try to convince anyone in this building to donate to the Grace Church and the food bank that services the whole of Eastie. The church is Protestant. They all know that I do donate. I feel like they are trying to ram their religion down my throat and others who are not Catholic. My neighbor next door has a small statue outside her door of the Infant of Prague. She feels that it is protecting her and those that enter her apartment. Fine. Doesn't bother me in the least. We are in an alcove and there are only four other apartments in this area. So the whole building is not subject to it. And it is not printed material telling us how wonderful the local Catholic churches are. It is not telling us when we have to attend services. It is not asking us for any donations to the Catholic church. It is just a little statue about 5" tall. A lot of the material on the boards is becoming overbearing. And I am beginning to resent it. I am not trying to ram my beliefs down your throat, stop trying to ram yours down mine.

Am I wrong?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #12526
Master Chef

IMHO as long as you have the same right, to post a flyer about your church and what it offers, I really don't see an issue.

Now that I'm old and can't run very fast, I have learned to choose my battles carefully.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #12527
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I was born ready. Live to shake and bake babyyy!
It was a madhouse!!! Shrek was upset, because there was nowhere for him to stand out-of-the-way while I shopped. Once he is done shopping, he starts moaning and groaning.

Nothing brand new in the appliances. Shrek did find some of the knit lounging shorts he likes that were new. I found a nice microplane grater, medium with a nice handle and protective cover AND a nice serrated slicer for tomatoes and bread. A couple of lavender colored bowls and a cheap, new, shower poof.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #12528
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Am I wrong?

Hypocritical maybe, but not wrong.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #12529
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Most of the residents in this building are Catholic. Fine. I am Protestant. On each floor there is a bulletin board next to the elevator for posting of upcoming events like the monthly birthday parties in the Community Room. The board on the first floor is where residents who have had a death or other event in their life will place a "Thank You" card for all to read. It usually stays there about a month before it comes down. I have no problem with that.

What I am having a problem with is that lately some of the residents have been pinning up pictures of saints and other Catholic printings. I don't try to convince anyone in this building to donate to the Grace Church and the food bank that services the whole of Eastie. The church is Protestant. They all know that I do donate. I feel like they are trying to ram their religion down my throat and others who are not Catholic. My neighbor next door has a small statue outside her door of the Infant of Prague. She feels that it is protecting her and those that enter her apartment. Fine. Doesn't bother me in the least. We are in an alcove and there are only four other apartments in this area. So the whole building is not subject to it. And it is not printed material telling us how wonderful the local Catholic churches are. It is not telling us when we have to attend services. It is not asking us for any donations to the Catholic church. It is just a little statue about 5" tall. A lot of the material on the boards is becoming overbearing. And I am beginning to resent it. I am not trying to ram my beliefs down your throat, stop trying to ram yours down mine.

Am I wrong?
No your not. Here pretty much the same thing has been going on. It must be a some kind of a push from the church to the members to get them out.
What bothers me to no end is when they feel that they have a right to step onto my property. Touch my vehicles leaving all those pamphlets on the windshields or doormats. In a way I think it's spam. It hits the trash can real quick. It even happens in a public parking lot. People just throw them down now we have to look at trashy un kept parking lots.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #12530
Honey Badger

Quote:
It was a madhouse!!! Shrek was upset, because there was nowhere for him to stand out-of-the-way while I shopped. Once he is done shopping, he starts moaning and groaning.

Nothing brand new in the appliances. Shrek did find some of the knit lounging shorts he likes that were new. I found a nice microplane grater, medium with a nice handle and protective cover AND a nice serrated slicer for tomatoes and bread. A couple of lavender colored bowls and a cheap, new, shower poof.
Shrek sounds like my husband. A glimps is good enough for him. Then it's "Can we go home now?" Not a chance. I hit every isle.

Sounds like you found some great buys. Don't ya just love those poofs..
Too bad they don't make me magically disappear. Defect-- return the manufacturer pronto!