"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #12601
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We used to have the rules posted, no one ever read them We're self-managing. I do plan to bring it up at the next Rec meeting.

We probably also need a sign like the other subs do, "No Lifeguard, Swim at Your Own Risk.". Pools here are considered an "attractive nuisance" and we could get sued if someone fell, or drowned.
In this state an attractive nuisance has to be fenced in to be out of sight to small children. My daughter has a stockade fence around her property. And her gate is locked.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #12602
Chef Extraordinaire

Sewing. I have several sewing projects that I've been putting off--so today is the day. I'm sewing curtains, napkins, and doing some mending.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #12603
Chef Extraordinaire

I want to go up to the beach and sit and read. But I have to wait for the mailman. I ordered a second debit card and it is supposed to be in the mail this week. I really need it. Spike has my present one. I could ask for it back, but he does almost all of my shopping. So if I do take it back, I have to give it back to him immediately after I have used it. I would just rather wait until I have the second one. I do have nine dollars on me. Enough to get a large coffee at BK across street from the beach. Or even lunch. Sometimes that fresh salt air just gives one an appetite to eat. I hate waiting for anything. I want instant gratification.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #12604
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In this state an attractive nuisance has to be fenced in to be out of sight to small children. My daughter has a stockade fence around her property. And her gate is locked.
I don't know what the regulations are here. But, that would explain something I have wondered about. We have a chain link around the pool at our condo. Every year, before they fill the pool, they put a tarp-like thing on that entire fence. They take it down again after the pool is emptied. It looks better without it and it would probably get damaged by winter.

The law requires that we have a lifeguard on duty any time anyone goes in the pool.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #12605
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I want to go up to the beach and sit and read. But I have to wait for the mailman. I ordered a second debit card and it is supposed to be in the mail this week. I really need it. Spike has my present one. I could ask for it back, but he does almost all of my shopping. So if I do take it back, I have to give it back to him immediately after I have used it. I would just rather wait until I have the second one. I do have nine dollars on me. Enough to get a large coffee at BK across street from the beach. Or even lunch. Sometimes that fresh salt air just gives one an appetite to eat. I hate waiting for anything. I want instant gratification.
Is that first debit card still going to work once you start using the new one? Whenever I have gotten a new debit card, they tell me that the old one won't work any more.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #12606
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that first debit card still going to work once you start using the new one? Whenever I have gotten a new debit card, they tell me that the old one won't work any more.
The new one only cancels the old one if it's a replacement. You can have two cards on one account at the same time. You just have to communicate usage so you don't overdraw.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #12607
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The new one only cancels the old one if it's a replacement. You can have two cards on one account at the same time. You just have to communicate usage so you don't overdraw.
Around here, they won't give a second full service debit card unless it's a joint account.

I have several spare cards for my biz account, but they are deposit only.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #12608
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Not my girls at risk, they are safe. A couple on the other side of Ottawa (which is the size of PEI) have had by-law visit and threaten their three girls. We have offered to hold them in "chicken protection" program while they battle with by-law and the City. My girls are SAFE.
Whew!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #12609
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yes. It will be in my daughter's name. She is listed on my account. It saves a lot of problems at the time of my death. The bank can't freeze my account as she is co-owner.

What a lot of folks here don't know is that a lot of our banks have someone who reads the obits first thing in the morning. They then check the names against their accounts. If one of the names shows up as having an account with that bank, by law they freeze the account including safety deposit boxes. The family then has to get a Probate Court Order to get to the money.

How do I know this? I took a six week course in customer service for banking and then decided banking was not for me. But it was interesting. I also learned that if you are overdrawn at $10 and under, the bank will honor the check automatically. Just don't make it a habit.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #12610
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished eating two Canadian bacon sandwiches with iceberg lettuce and mayo on white bread. The best sandwich in the whole wide world.
I'm not sure if that was breakfast or lunch. I guess it depends if I eat again before dinner.
Off to buy my Tostitos for tonight's dinner shortly.