What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Making peanut butter! :yum:

I have been thinking about buying a food processor for a long, long time and I thought I had settled on a very basic little Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus 4-Cup Food Processor. I figured that the mini-prep would be good for me because all I want it for is making peanut butter and minced ham or chicken salad spreads, anything else it can do would be a bonus. I was all set to run out and buy one this morning when I decided to give peanut butter making a try in my ancient Osterizer blender. I heated a cup of roasted peanuts in the microwave, tossed them in the blender, hit the button labeled grind, added a drizzle of canola oil, a dash of salt and hit the button labeled whip. In less than a minute I had about a 1/2 cup of nice smooth/gritty natural style peanut butter that even Tim and Richard Smucker would be proud of! The food processor is on hold, again until I give ham salad a try in the old blender! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I ended up recently giving my workhorse Robot Coupe to my son Spike. I don't miss it either. I would rather have a blender. Smaller footprint. And other than using it for handling pasta dough, the only other chore I used it for was grating. I finally bought myself an six sided hand grater. Two chores I would rather do by hand.

This past year or more, I have noticed that I am eating less food. So my cooking is not as intense. More simple, quick dishes. Less prep time. Fewer ingredients. Not being able to stand for longer periods.

So Spike has ended up with my 12" Shun knife, FP, sewing machine, food saver, and a few other items from my home. More available counter space for me, along with less items I have to take care of and keep clean. Right now he has his eye on my KA mixer. Along with the attachments. Sorry, that stays put. I still use that quite often. :angel:

I ended up recently giving my workhorse Robot Coupe to my son Spike. I don't miss it either. I would rather have a blender. Smaller footprint. And other than using it for handling pasta dough, the only other chore I used it for was grating. I finally bought myself an six sided hand grater. Two chores I would rather do by hand.

This past year or more, I have noticed that I am eating less food. So my cooking is not as intense. More simple, quick dishes. Less prep time. Fewer ingredients. Not being able to stand for longer periods.

So Spike has ended up with my 12" Shun knife, FP, sewing machine, food saver, and a few other items from my home. More available counter space for me, along with less items I have to take care of and keep clean. Right now he has his eye on my KA mixer. Along with the attachments. Sorry, that stays put. I still use that quite often. :angel:

I hear ya!

I still use my old "knuckle buster" grater to make cabbage salad and grate cheese. I'm finding though that it is just as easy and inexpensive to buy a bag of Dole shredded coleslaw mix and freshly grated cheese from the local grocery. The only appliances I have left in the kitchen are a microwave, my old blender, stick blender and hand mixer. The stick blender will probably be the next item to land in the goodwill box, I only use it to make mayonnaise and I can do that in the old blender. I will probably never get around to buying the FP, the older I get the cheaper I seem to become! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I visited my mother today in the care home (she has advanced dementia).
Of course she didn't know what day it was, but I enjoyed making a fuss of her. Gave her my card and some miniature roses, fed her grapes, rubbed in some of the new moisturiser I gave her - which she liked the smell of. She wasn't making much sense...some days she does. Sometimes it gets to me to see what she is now reduced to and I have to leave (make my excuses) before I cry. I was able not to do that today.

Here in the US, Mother's Day is May 8th this year. I don't know if it's the same date in Canada.

Last edited:
The place I go to for my health care is a center for patients with Alzheimer's Disease. It is not easy to see family member come to visit their parents.

We have a married couple that used to come for day care. Both of them have progressed to needing around the clock care and are now residents. The wife is more along the path of forgetfulness and no longer recognizes her husband.

It is so sad to see, but having watched the employees for the past eight years caring for these patients, I can not give them enough kudos. I have NEVER heard one employee raise their voice for any reason. Not even to get the attention of another employee. The patients in this daycare are cared for with patience and gentle love. And I am sure the families are well aware of the care their loved one receives. :angel:

The place I go to for my health care is a center for patients with Alzheimer's Disease. It is not easy to see family member come to visit their parents.

We have a married couple that used to come for day care. Both of them have progressed to needing around the clock care and are now residents. The wife is more along the path of forgetfulness and no longer recognizes her husband.

It is so sad to see, but having watched the employees for the past eight years caring for these patients, I can not give them enough kudos. I have NEVER heard one employee raise their voice for any reason. Not even to get the attention of another employee. The patients in this daycare are cared for with patience and gentle love. And I am sure the families are well aware of the care their loved one receives. :angel:
Yes, here in UK, there are some care homes that have been exposed for abusing their patients but we have the Care Quality Commission which enables choosing a care home more effective.

We did a lot of visiting nearby care homes before we decided on the one where mum now is. It is excellent! The standard of care is what you would wish for and the staff are genuinely caring, clearly in their chosen profession.
color.gif

I'm finishing up with my "alcohol rubdown" (glass of wine), and then I'm heading to an early bed. Early for me, that is, because I'm beat. Why? I got bit by the spring cleaning bug! :w00t: My house is a little like those historical ones you can visit that have public viewing rooms on the first floor, but the second floor is closed off to visitors. Well, my "public" first floor is usually clean enough and my kitchen is pretty close to inspector-approved clean, but a couple infrequently visited rooms upstairs have measurable dust on the furniture. Hoping to get everything back down to shiny wood and clean dresser scarves. Heaven forbid if either of us has to call EMS to treat the other. :ermm:

I have absolutely no idea where my recent energy has come from, and don't know why all of a sudden my hip isn't pinching nor my feet hurting, but I am enjoying every nanosecond of this! Maybe I can get the entire house cleaned before I conk out - fingers crossed.

CG, first of all, glad to hear you're feeling better! I know what you mean about the 'spring cleaning' bug, it's hit me too! Usually happens this time of year. This morning I ran the vacuum through my grandsons' playroom, dusted all the shelves that hold their toys and books, and swiffered the ceiling fan and blinds. I'll have Tyler help put everything back on the shelves when he gets here after school, he loves to help. :)

It's a beautiful day today, so I took my laptop out on the patio along with the grocery store sale papers - making a shopping list, and paying some bills online. Great deals at the grocery this week - asparagus .79/lb :ohmy:, bone in pork chops .89/lb, eggs $3 for an 18 pack, chicken thighs .79/lb...love the deals. :)

Last edited:
CG - glad to read you have a sudden spurt of energy. I know how that feels - to be suddenly free of the usual restrictions. I wish we knew why it suddenly released us like that! I still have no clue!

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to do. I have some free time and I suppose I could read or put together a puzzle online or watch a movie. Tomorrow we're supposed to get about an inch and a half of rain. Guess what day shopping day is? I'd go today, but the new sales don't come out until tomorrow. :mad:

Angel Flight

We flew an Angel Flight mission from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. The patient had just gotten a liver transplant and looked very good.
The exciting part was the strong winds, but fortunately, the winds were right down the runway.

We flew an Angel Flight mission from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. The patient had just gotten a liver transplant and looked very good.
The exciting part was the strong winds, but fortunately, the winds were right down the runway.

Once again, thank you for taking care of "our" patients. I work with an Air Link nurse, she moonlights in the nursing home, and she is always praising her volunteer pilots.

I'm back in a way..Miss me?:huh:

Were waiting to hear from the hospital to try and get my husband in for an Angioplasty either today or tomorrow. They couldn't find a Dr to do it last night. He's been feeling heaviness on his chest for a few weeks. His EKG has changed from the last one. Things are not right. They call it Bundle Branch Block.

More tests and and a longer trip away will be happening soon.

He's to be kept stress free and in bed. You can call me Nurse Mean Munky. I'm not playing around.
The poor guy can't move without my knowing about it.

I just wish they would hurry up.

Oh Munky, this all must be very worrisome for you both. I hope the doctor gets back to you really quick, and that he and the hospital staff are able to unbundle those branches and get DH all straightened out. And you have to be kind to him :angel: no stress, remember?

Adding you and your DH to my prayer list, which keeps getting longer, and longer, an.....

I'm keeping an eye on a poor, little purple finch that flew into my sunroom window. :( The feeders are close enough to the house that the birds can't get any steam up, so they usually don't feel any effect. This one, though, must have knocked himself good. At first I thought he was dead, laying perfectly still on his side. Then he got himself all righted up, tucked up like he's thinking of taking off soon - and there he sits. I scattered a small bit of thistle seeds, along with a tiny bit of the mixed seed blend at his feet, in case he wants a nibble before he takes off. So far he's managed to huddle himself under the birdbath, using it like an umbrella, since it's sprinkling a bit. He looked perfectly alert when I was out talking to him, so I guess he should be taking flight soon. I hope he lifts off before the evil in-and-out cat from my equally evil neighbor comes out on the prowl.

I keep meaning to get those black birds-of-prey clings for the windows to scare birds away, but the birdy store near us sells them for $5 each! If I bought one for each window that a bird has banged into, I would have to skip buying bird seed for about 3-4 months. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper idea? I'm moderately crafty when me doing it is much cheaper that buying already made. ;)

Back
Top Bottom