What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO and I had lunch at one of Bobby Flay's restaurants - BBP, Bobby's Burger Palace. You place your order with a cashier and pay she gives you a number and you take a seat. Your meal is delivered when it's ready.

They have about 7-8 burger choices that you can order with chicken breast, ground turkey or the usual ground beef. Fries and rings and some other offerings rounded out the menu. Two burgers and a combo of rings and fries with two drinks = $26. The burgers were good. Cooked to order and doneness you request. I'd go back.

Last edited:
I'm back in a way..Miss me?:huh:

Were waiting to hear from the hospital to try and get my husband in for an Angioplasty either today or tomorrow. They couldn't find a Dr to do it last night. He's been feeling heaviness on his chest for a few weeks. His EKG has changed from the last one. Things are not right. They call it Bundle Branch Block.

More tests and and a longer trip away will be happening soon.

He's to be kept stress free and in bed. You can call me Nurse Mean Munky. I'm not playing around.
The poor guy can't move without my knowing about it.

I just wish they would hurry up.

Sorry to hear this Munky! My good wishes are added.

I'm keeping an eye on a poor, little purple finch that flew into my sunroom window. :( The feeders are close enough to the house that the birds can't get any steam up, so they usually don't feel any effect. This one, though, must have knocked himself good. At first I thought he was dead, laying perfectly still on his side. Then he got himself all righted up, tucked up like he's thinking of taking off soon - and there he sits. I scattered a small bit of thistle seeds, along with a tiny bit of the mixed seed blend at his feet, in case he wants a nibble before he takes off. So far he's managed to huddle himself under the birdbath, using it like an umbrella, since it's sprinkling a bit. He looked perfectly alert when I was out talking to him, so I guess he should be taking flight soon. I hope he lifts off before the evil in-and-out cat from my equally evil neighbor comes out on the prowl.

I keep meaning to get those black birds-of-prey clings for the windows to scare birds away, but the birdy store near us sells them for $5 each! If I bought one for each window that a bird has banged into, I would have to skip buying bird seed for about 3-4 months. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper idea? I'm moderately crafty when me doing it is much cheaper that buying already made. ;)

I would use black electricians tape and create a pattern that pleases me and put that on the windows. I guess it would depend on the size of the panes.

I'm keeping an eye on a poor, little purple finch that flew into my sunroom window. :( The feeders are close enough to the house that the birds can't get any steam up, so they usually don't feel any effect. This one, though, must have knocked himself good. At first I thought he was dead, laying perfectly still on his side. Then he got himself all righted up, tucked up like he's thinking of taking off soon - and there he sits. I scattered a small bit of thistle seeds, along with a tiny bit of the mixed seed blend at his feet, in case he wants a nibble before he takes off. So far he's managed to huddle himself under the birdbath, using it like an umbrella, since it's sprinkling a bit. He looked perfectly alert when I was out talking to him, so I guess he should be taking flight soon. I hope he lifts off before the evil in-and-out cat from my equally evil neighbor comes out on the prowl.

I keep meaning to get those black birds-of-prey clings for the windows to scare birds away, but the birdy store near us sells them for $5 each! If I bought one for each window that a bird has banged into, I would have to skip buying bird seed for about 3-4 months. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper idea? I'm moderately crafty when me doing it is much cheaper that buying already made. ;)

The cheapest thing to do would be to move the bird feeder.

I would also try some inexpensive holiday window clings from the dollar store or some type of streamers/ribbons that would hang in front of the windows, on the inside, to alert the birds.

Unfortunately, it seems like the best solutions for the birds are not so good for the birdwatcher.

Good luck!

... I keep meaning to get those black birds-of-prey clings for the windows to scare birds away, but the birdy store near us sells them for $5 each! If I bought one for each window that a bird has banged into, I would have to skip buying bird seed for about 3-4 months. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper idea? I'm moderately crafty when me doing it is much cheaper that buying already made. ;)
How about a paper cutout attached to the window with cling wrap? It would probably take two people to do that.

Aunt Bea, I'm trying to avoid moving the feeders. You know that cookbook link you posted in another thread? Well, I kinda look like the lady on the title page, stirring with one hand and binoculars in the other. Except I'm wearing sweats and a t-shirt. :LOL: Actually, the feeders are close enough so I don't need spy glasses. The other reason I'm not wanting to move them: our "soil" is chuck-full of rocks of various sizes, all cuddled together. Each time I move a feeder, it takes about 15-20 probes with the tines of the shepherd hooks to find a spot that will let both of them go far enough into the ground. A real pain. I'll look for generic window clings when I shop tomorrow - there's a Dollar Tree right in the same center as Market Basket.

I would use black electricians tape and create a pattern that pleases me and put that on the windows. I guess it would depend on the size of the panes.
Considering the sun room is practically ALL glass, the wall facing the feeders is 10+ feet long by 4 1/2' high. That's a lot of glass! One of the things I found online was to paint bird images on the outside of the window with tempra paint - that water won't wash it off, but it does come off with soap-and-water. I'm wondering if they even MAKE tempra paint anymore. :huh: I do like the tape idea, PF. Maybe a nice lattice pattern, or something a bit more random. Then again, these are the windows that face my evil neighbor's house, so I might plaster the windows with randomly pasted "F"s and "U"s. :ohmy: :LOL:

I'm happy to report that it looks like my stunned bird is fine. He ate a little food, left a little poo, and flew away. So far, in all the "hits" I've heard in t he last year or two, I've found only one goner of a bird. And, for all I know, evil neighbor's cat might have gotten that one since the poor bird looked a little roughed up. :(

How about a paper cutout attached to the window with cling wrap? It would probably take two people to do that.
I think my clumsy fingers could work easier with a sturdy paper like construction, or maybe a light-weight card stock. I'm going to have to check my craft closet to see if I have any of those in black. I remember having a lot of Christmas colors, shades of reds and greens.

I don't know whether or not tempera paint comes off with plain water, but it comes off on clothing when it gets rubbed against.

After calling AAA at least 4 times in 2 months for jumping a dead (brand new) battery, on the recommendation of the guy who's come out to charge it, I got a portable battery charger. Best thing since sliced bread! The car started up immediately. Throughout my college years and after, I always had jumper cables, and always used them wrong, apparently, but haven't blown myself up yet.

Car will go back to the mechanic, something is draining the battery. We can't figure out what.

I feel your pain.

I've been having recurring problems with my battery going dead. Two different mechanics, including a Honda dealer, assured me they had found the problem and it was fixed. Please pay the cashier on your way out. My car sits with a dead battery still and I have little time to get it back to the Honda dealer to give them another shot at it. My schedule has been so busy with SO's medical appointments I haven't taken it back again.

Fortunately we have SO's car as a backup.

My mechanic was puzzled, and thought it might have been the iPhone charger. I've unplugged that. Then it was a bad battery, which we swapped out. Then he told me I wasn't driving it enough. I've always been able to leave it for several days without driving it. Not sure what's going on.

Hm. Mine is a Honda too.

My mechanic was puzzled, and thought it might have been the iPhone charger. I've unplugged that. Then it was a bad battery, which we swapped out. Then he told me I wasn't driving it enough. I've always been able to leave it for several days without driving it. Not sure what's going on.

Hm. Mine is a Honda too.

I had an aftermarket remote starter installed when I bought the car. Honda told me that was draining the battery so they pulled the fuses and checked again - no drain, the problem was fixed. Sadly, not so.

I had an aftermarket remote starter installed when I bought the car. Honda told me that was draining the battery so they pulled the fuses and checked again - no drain, the problem was fixed. Sadly, not so.

I'm about ready to tear my hair out. The portable jumpstarter works fantastically though, I'm glad I got it. Thankfully, DH's ancient Jeep, despite all of its other issues, still starts, even after sitting for 2 weeks in sub-zero temps.

You two should find a Honda owners' forum and ask if other people have had the problem and what did they do. Of course, do a search first. I have gotten loads of good advice on the Brickboard, Volvo owners' forum.

Edit: when I wrote "search first", I meant to search the forum first.

Last edited:
Car owner forums are also a good way to find out about things that the company will fix for free because it's a "known problem" and maybe someone sued them about it. Lots of times the dealerships don't want you to know that, so they won't tell you.

...Then he told me I wasn't driving it enough. I've always been able to leave it for several days without driving it...
Sounds like a bulltwinkies excuse to me, Dawg. When Himself and I visited the kids over Christmas, his 2008 Mercury Milan sat in the garage for 2 1/2 weeks, and probably didn't get started for well over a month. It's not like it's a new battery either. In fact, I think this is only the second battery he's had in the car, including the original.

Taxy, you've got some good suggestions. I think there is something funky about those Hondas and the battery drainage.

Agree, CG. My mom's cars had sat, undriven, in her garage for at least 2 years, and both started up right away when I went back after she died. No, I didn't leave her for 2 years, she'd just quit driving.

Last edited:
I just had my beautician, DH, whack off 4 inches of my hair with my sewing scissors. It was down past my waist. Next step, Garnier Nutriesse hair dye!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom