"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #12741
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Getting ready to head out for my weekly marketing task. I have to laugh because Tuesday at Kroger, senior citizens are allowed a discount. That means that I'll have to be especially observant when I park my car. Nearly every old codger in my age group has a Lincoln the same color as mine.
All the more reason to put stickers or something else that identifies it from afar.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #12742
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Good luck with the scan results Kylie.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #12743
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Getting ready to head out for my weekly marketing....I'll have to be especially observant when I park my car. Nearly every old codger in my age group has a Lincoln the same color as mine.
It seems like most car models come in the same color, doesn't it Katie? My most recently retired vehicle was a silver van. Seemed like every where I looked in a parking lot I saw a silver van. Gave that to our daughter when I bought a white compact. Oh Boy! No more losing my vehicle with all those other silver vans in a lot. Guess what? All the cars where I park are now white compact cars!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #12744
Master Chef

I'm procrastinating like CW. Don't know about her, but I'm a pro at it! I came to DC just to look for a recipe for mac and cheese (have a taste for it) and got sucked into looking around. Guess I better look for that recipe, huh?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #12745
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm procrastinating like CW. Don't know about her, but I'm a pro at it! I came to DC just to look for a recipe for mac and cheese (have a taste for it) and got sucked into looking around. Guess I better look for that recipe, huh?
My mac & cheese recipe goes something like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	18474   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	18475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	18476   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	18477  

Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #12746
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got off the phone from a distant relative out in California. She has been working on a family tree and history for about five years now. She found some more info on my side. I can now trace back to great, great and one more great for just one person. There are pictures of headstones, tribal pictures on my father's side, And all sorts of really neat information. On my mother's side she was able to trace back to cousins of John and Samuel Adams. Like three times removed.

Most of the letters that Abigail sent to John when he was away, are now translated from her handwriting and on line. So she went into them and read all about births and other events in the family. It was from those letters that she was able to go back so far. I was also able to add some info that she didn't know. Like my uncle had been killed in WWI. All she had was his name and birth date. There is a square named for him here in Eastie. I am going to take a picture so she can add it to his name. He was buried in France, so it will serve as his headstone.

Everyone should take a look at their family history.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #12747
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm getting ready to go out and pick up a few things from the grocery store. I need some more eggs. Our dog, 13 years old, is getting really finicky about eating, but if we add a fried egg to her food she'll eat it. Her pain medicine is crushed up in it, so she has to eat it. Unfortunately, she prefers to raid the cats' bowls
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #12748
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My mac & cheese recipe goes something like this
Smartalec! Does that recipe come with the chef?

I'm making something a little plainer. A little more basic. Like, um, you know "MAC and CHEESE". Just that. I know I know, borrrrrrrring!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #12749
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie, I have an aunt on both sides of my family who did a lot of family history research. I put it into Family Tree Maker and was able to share it when my cousin's daughter was assigned to do a project on her family history I'm a daughter of the Confederacy and a daughter of the Revolution on my mother's side. Both families have been traced back to 16th-century Ireland and my dad's great-grandparents to Germany in the 1880s.

My great-great-grandfather bought a farm in Michigan in the nineteen-teens so his son would not have to fight the Germans in WWI. Certain farmers were exempt from service, because they were needed to feed the army, and his parents didn't want him fighting his cousins who still lived there.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #12750
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All the more reason to put stickers or something else that identifies it from afar.
There is a famous photo of the parking lot at the Pentagon. Every antenna has some sort of bauble on the top. And if you study the photo long enough, no two are alike in that sea of thousands of cars. Of course that photo was taken when all cars had non retracting antennas.

« Petty Vents | - »