"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #12751
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a famous photo of the parking lot at the Pentagon. Every antenna has some sort of bauble on the top. And if you study the photo long enough, no two are alike in that sea of thousands of cars. Of course that photo was taken when all cars had non retracting antennas.
That,s why the standard poodle cut puts a pompom on the end of the poodle's tail They used to be water retrievers. The dogs used to have different numbers and sizes of pompoms. You could tell them apart when they were in the water by the arrangement of pompoms.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #12752
Chef Extraordinaire

I press the lock button on my remote if I forget what row I'm in. The horn toots.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #12753
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Addie, I have an aunt on both sides of my family who did a lot of family history research. I put it into Family Tree Maker and was able to share it when my cousin's daughter was assigned to do a project on her family history I'm a daughter of the Confederacy and a daughter of the Revolution on my mother's side. Both families have been traced back to 16th-century Ireland and my dad's great-grandparents to Germany in the 1880s.

My great-great-grandfather bought a farm in Michigan in the nineteen-teens so his son would not have to fight the Germans in WWI. Certain farmers were exempt from service, because they were needed to feed the army, and his parents didn't want him fighting his cousins who still lived there.
Because my mother had polio as a child, she didn't leave the house too much. I used to sit with her playing cards and drinking tea. She would tell me all the stories about her family. As a result I was able to provide so much information as a starting point for research. I was very fortunate in that I received a verbal history of our family. And now my kids can add to that. I just didn't realize what a gift I was being given at the time. But I do cherish those stories.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #12754
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I had 3/4 of a cantaloupe that I needed to do something with. I bought it at the farmer's market last weekend and it was unexpectedly bland. The stem end smelled nice and sweet but no flavor. So I made it into a minty granita. I've never made granita before. Hopefully this will come out well.
Just tried the granita. Yummy! It's a winner for sure! Sweet, but not too sweet, and refreshing. Good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-13 17.56.16.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	18478  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #12755
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Just tried the granita. Yummy! It's a winner for sure! Sweet, but not too sweet, and refreshing. Good stuff.
Very nice, GG! I've been meaning to make watermelon granita.

I'm nuking a bunch of corn on the cob, and prepping it to freeze.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #12756
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Very nice, GG! I've been meaning to make watermelon granita.

I'm nuking a bunch of corn on the cob, and prepping it to freeze.
Thanks! I wonder what watermelon granita with feta and mint would taste like.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #12757
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Looks delish. We make homemade cantaloupe ice cream, which probably wouldn't be too much different. That's really good, also.
Another thing to make is cantaloupe quick bread. It is kind of like zucchini bread.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #12758
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Because my mother had polio as a child, she didn't leave the house too much. I used to sit with her playing cards and drinking tea. She would tell me all the stories about her family. As a result I was able to provide so much information as a starting point for research. I was very fortunate in that I received a verbal history of our family. And now my kids can add to that. I just didn't realize what a gift I was being given at the time. But I do cherish those stories.
My father has traced his side of the family back so far that the "tree" takes up about an 4 ft x 4 ft piece of paper (I don't know where he got the paper--newsprint maybe?). It goes well back to the 1500s. My mom's family tree goes back to the 1600s. But, none of them came to the "New World" until mid-1800s. My great-great grandfather fought in the Civil War and then was appointed by President McKinley to be the first US Consul general in Norway when Norway gained her independence from Sweden in 1905 (he was there from 1898 until 1912--he died there). My great grandfather was offered the position (he was McKinley's campaign manager), but preferred to see his FIL get the position. Wonder what that relationship was like...one of the family stories is that that great great grandfather and his brother traded names because the brother didn't want to fight in the Civil War. That always caused some confusion on the family tree...who would name two kids the same name??? We have some pretty neat stuff that was given to great great grandfather by the King of Norway. And, a very nice grandfather clock that is 350 years old. It is from the Lofloten Islands where the family owned the cod fish processing camp. One of the buildings is still there. Oh, and there is a castle in England that was once in the family.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #12759
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been out at the supermarket very early this morning to get a few specials, soon I am heading over to mums for coffee
Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #12760
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I'm getting ready to go out and pick up a few things from the grocery store. I need some more eggs. Our dog, 13 years old, is getting really finicky about eating, but if we add a fried egg to her food she'll eat it. Her pain medicine is crushed up in it, so she has to eat it. Unfortunately, she prefers to raid the cats' bowls
You might look into buying her some smaller kibble, I'm sure that's what she likes about the cat food. Smaller and easier to chew. The eggs aren't hurting her, either.