What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back from the local greenhouse/garden center. I was greeted there by one of the resident dogs, who presented me with a very slimy, sandy tennis ball. Unfortunately, I throw like a girl, so she was probably a bit disappointed with my distance, though she kept bringing it back to me.

I'm cutting way back on annuals this year, my shrubs and perennials have pretty much swallowed up all the prime real estate. I did get a few tomato plants, some nice coleus and petunias, ornamental sweet potato vines, and my Magilla Perillas. I wanted to get there before Mother's Day. It's a very popular place, and tends to get swarmed and picked over by Mother's Day.

Oh, yummm! Homemade bagels, and pickles! Looks and sounds so good, Andy and CG. :yum:

Just waiting on Tyler to get here at 3. Sometimes I go get him, sometimes my daughter takes off work for 15 minutes to bring him over. He will be "sooooo hungry, Gramma...!" :LOL: when he gets here, so 'snack' is first thing and always pretty big. A typical after school snack for him is a cup of yogurt (he loves Chobani), celery sticks and peanut butter, a banana, a bowl of sliced apple or watermelon, Goldfish crackers or some other crunchy, chocolate milk, and 2 cookies. :ohmy:

Dawg...cute story about the resident garden center dog with the tennis ball! We have one small mom and pop owned bookstore in town, and whenever I go in, Oliver is there somewhere. He's a 3 legged kitty and a sweetheart. This pic cracks me up because it says 'Warning - Not For Private Use' on the box, but Oliver begs to differ. :LOL:

Attachments

• Oliver.jpg
    Oliver.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Whoa, Cheryl, Tyler sure can pack it away! Good for him!

Sweet kitty. There's a bookstore in Mpls, near where my brother lives, that has roaming chickens, cats, and a ferret. Probably some other critters too.

Whoa, Cheryl, Tyler sure can pack it away! Good for him!

Sweet kitty. There's a bookstore in Mpls, near where my brother lives, that has roaming chickens, cats, and a ferret. Probably some other critters too.

He does! He's slender, always on the go, and still eats a good dinner at home, so I don't have a problem with giving him extras of fruits and such. He knows he can only have 1 cup of choc milk and no more than 2 cookies, though. ;)

Last edited:
He does! He's slender, always on the go, and still eats a good dinner at home, so I don't have a problem with giving him extras of fruits and such. He knows he can only have 1 cup of choc milk and no more than 2 cookies, though. ;)

My granddaughter was like that. Ever since she could sit up and feed herself. No child size helpings for her. Today at 22 y.o. she still eats the same way and takes a size 0 dress. As much as I love her, deep down inside me I hold ;) a hatred for her when she complains that she can't find anything to fit. "Everything I try on is always too big." :wacko: Sure kid, rub it in. :angel:

I have been sitting here reading the news. What is going on in Alberta? Isn't Alberta where the prairies are? I know that Saskatchewan is Canada's bread basket.

My sympathies to the folks of Alberta. I just hope and pray that no lives are lost or even homes. :angel:

I have been sitting here reading the news. What is going on in Alberta? Isn't Alberta where the prairies are? I know that Saskatchewan is Canada's bread basket.

My sympathies to the folks of Alberta. I just hope and pray that no lives are lost or even homes. :angel:
They are having record heat, 32.6°C (90.7°F). I'm really concerned because Fort McMurray is pretty much the centre of the tar sands.

I had some quiet time this evening after Anna went to bed, and just became overwhelmed at how just little things are soooooo special.

What an awesome feeling!

Oh my goodness, it's awful in Fort McMurray, AB. They have evacuated the whole city because of the wild fire. Whole neighbourhoods are gone.

If you are on FB and have friends in or near Fort McMurray, see if they have checked in: https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/fortmcmurray-wildfire-may03-2016/

Here's a CBC report on the fire:
Fort McMurray wildfire remains out of control after city evacuated - Edmonton - CBC News

Heaven knows that specially in California, we have wild fires every year. The running joke throughout the U.S. is that California does have four season They have the dry season, the fire season, the rainy season, and then the mudslide season. And when they have a wildfire season, it is a season to not be forgotten. So much destruction and loss. Here's hoping for the very best for Ft. McMurray. :angel:

I am sitting here at 9:20 and just closed the door. The driver for Winthrop was here to pick me up. This was the first I heard that I had an appointment. I am in my night clothes. I need a shower, haven't eaten anything, and am not going in. They could have notified me yesterday. Via email or a phone call. If they can't get their act together, I am going to file a formal report and complaint.

They have a new head nurse and she just happens to be my nurse. It is her job to schedule my appointments. I honestly do not think she is up to the job. Before her predecessor left, the three of us and sat down and went over my needs and expectations. I have to admit I have been so spoiled these past eight years by my former nurse. I realize that there is a learning curve for my new nurse. So for now I am keeping my mouth shut and hope she learns her job a lot faster from here on in. :angel:

Oh my goodness, it's awful in Fort McMurray, AB. They have evacuated the whole city because of the wild fire. Whole neighbourhoods are gone.

If you are on FB and have friends in or near Fort McMurray, see if they have checked in: https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/fortmcmurray-wildfire-may03-2016/

Here's a CBC report on the fire:
Fort McMurray wildfire remains out of control after city evacuated - Edmonton - CBC News

My cousin lives in Fort McMurray and we are keeping track of her and her family and friends through facebook. They evacuated last night with friends, in cars, not sure where they are going. Many surrounding places are offering free showers and sometimes free lodging during the evacuation. Many prayers going their way.

Hit the farmers market this morning.

I picked up a Martha Washington geranium for mom's grave and some produce for me.

No local produce yet so I hit the 3-4-5 Guys. The guys sell three heaping quart baskets of imported produce for $5.00. They have good quality, fair prices and they always cause some type of commotion to amuse the shoppers.

More weeding and brush cleanup. Blech. A very nice day for it, though, no bugs.

I also harvested a bunch of my neighbor's rhubarb. There may be some canning in the near future.

Puttering around the kitchen this morning! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Broke down yesterday's roast chicken, put the skin and bones on the stove to simmer for stock. Popped a couple of meal sized bags of chicken into the freezer.

Peeled and chopped some tomatoes for a small pot of stewed tomatoes.

Packing a box of odds and ends for the charity shop.

Enjoying a cup of reheated coffee and checking DC.

Life is good! :)

I have just eaten a bloody egg! No, I am not swearing - the egg was totally bloody :( i.e. not blood clots.

It was my last egg and everything else was ready to eat, e.g. toast etc. I quickly did a google search and it seems it is OK, i.e. not that the egg was fertilising but that the chicken was stressed. Apparently workers are supposed to look out for this and take them out.

When it was cooked (poached), the redness had all but disappeared....just leaving a very faint pinkness to the eggwhite. Tasted OK.

Has anyone else had this experience and eaten the egg?

Last edited:
Creative, a bloody egg would have been a deal breaker for me. Good for you to have the fortitude to eat it!

I'm rhubarbing in the rain. Now, what to do with it. I'm probably going to freeze a bunch, make some jam and sauce, maybe some juice.

Back
Top Bottom