"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #12821
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just got the news, one of our nurses lost her fight with cancer tonight. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and it was all through her. G'night Ginny! I'll miss you.
I went to Winthrop yesterday and immediately got the news that one of the longest members of the knitting group died from dementia. Watching her this past year deteriorate has been so difficult. She would make the most delicate patterns for baby outfits for mothers who had nothing to take their babies home in. The hat, sweater, booties and blankets. She could do the first three items in one day, and start the blanket and finish it the next day. Then she took a bad fall at home last year and from there went down hill.

I understand patient confidentiality, but the powers that be won't even tell any of the patients when her funeral is. That makes no sense to me. Most of the knitting group want to attend.

So sorry to hear about your nurse PF. Losing a friend can be so difficult.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #12822
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Just got the news, one of our nurses lost her fight with cancer tonight. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and it was all through her. G'night Ginny! I'll miss you.
I'm sorry to hear that, PF. Wow, two weeks.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #12823
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I understand patient confidentiality, but the powers that be won't even tell any of the patients when her funeral is. That makes no sense to me. Most of the knitting group want to attend.
Is there an obituary where you could find that information?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #12824
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Good job on the beagle Pac.

Addie, maybe you can get someone on staff at Winthrop to let the family know that the knitting group wants to know about the funeral.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #12825
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
So sad. Sorry for your loss.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #12826
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Such sad news, PF. So sorry.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #12827
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, I'm going to stop procrastinating and go out and weed around the tomatillo plant that came up without me noticing (the backyard is under construction of a new patio and the dirt pile hid it lol). I'm also going to rip out the cucumber and green bean plants that died and plant some more beans. Hopefully I can get a second harvest.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #12828
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Wow, that was fast. Just two weeks... sad.

Yesterday I got a Beagle back to her owners. I heard her baying out back and while I was brush hogging back there I saw her. She came up to me with a little coaxing and I slipped my belt over her head and called her owner (she had a tag on). Poor old girl was all cut up in the face from chasing bunnies. She had been missing a few hours and was whooped. I swear Beagles have the most tenacity of any breed.
Then just twenty minutes later someone stopped who was missing his dog. He had two, but found the one an the RR tracks...
Aww, poor beagle! Glad you could help her. And you're right about the breed, Pac, there's no stopping them once they're on a bunny.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #12829
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Is there an obituary where you could find that information?
Yeah. It will be in the Boston Globe.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #12830
Chef Extraordinaire

You know how I am always saying that we never lose out power because all our wires are underground. Well I am eating crow. A manhole blew around 8:30 tonight and our building went into darkness except for the emergency lighting in the halls. So a lot of folks grabbed a chair and sat out there until the lights came back on two hours later. The city sent an EMT team to each elderly building to check on everyone. We have a couple of residents that are on oxygen. They had to be switched over to their backup that runs on six hours of batteries. We told the EMTs that we knew who needed help and who was cable on their own. So once they checked on the oxygen patients, they left feeling that this building was going to be all right. Then we noticed blue lights flashing. A police patrol car was posted on the street just outside our building. They were watching for looters. The locks on our building went out with the power. I didn't mention this to any of the residents. It would have really scared them. Then we have a resident that is 92. Dementia is slowly setting in on her. She kept asking the same questions over and over. I just kept answering them over and over. It takes a lot of patience to be with her. One resident who was sitting out in the hall had just taken a very strong pain pill when the lights went. She was falling asleep and almost falling off the chair. So I took her back to her apartment and made sure she had her flashlight right next to her. I left her sitting in her chair with her legs up on a padded cushion. she was asleep before I even reached her door. I will check on her again tomorrow.