"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #12891
Chef Extraordinaire

Forgot to quote - this is for Kylie.

Curious - do you turn the heat off every night? Is there a particular temperature when you turn it off and back on, or below which you leave it on?

I know people who say "I won't turn on the heat till November (March for you)" or "I won't turn on the heat till the temperature at night is below 60F (about 45C)."

With our thermostat, we can set the minimum temp where the heat will go on or off.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #12892
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey GG,

We dont leave the heating on overnight as once in bed under our thick Winter quilt we are nice and warm

When I get up in the morning, usually if it is below 12 degrees, I will turn it on...but some mornings I get up and you can just feel it is really, really cold and I just whack it on

We have gas heating, so it is lovely and warm...I normally turn it off after a couple of hours, but this morning I think it will be on for a few more

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Forgot to quote - this is for Kylie.

Curious - do you turn the heat off every night? Is there a particular temperature when you turn it off and back on, or below which you leave it on?

I know people who say "I won't turn on the heat till November (March for you)" or "I won't turn on the heat till the temperature at night is below 60F (about 45C)."

With our thermostat, we can set the minimum temp where the heat will go on or off.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #12893
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Hey GG,

We dont leave the heating on overnight as once in bed under our thick Winter quilt we are nice and warm

When I get up in the morning, usually if it is below 12 degrees, I will turn it on...but some mornings I get up and you can just feel it is really, really cold and I just whack it on

We have gas heating, so it is lovely and warm...I normally turn it off after a couple of hours, but this morning I think it will be on for a few more
That is how I grew up, the heat was turned back about an hour before we went to bed and turned up again in the morning. In the morning we used to fight over who was going to stand on the hot air vent to get warm, we would stand on it until our feet began to burn!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #12894
Certified Pretend Chef

I installed a programmable thermostat so it automatically does all the setting changes on a preset schedule. It can be overridden to deal with exceptions.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #12895
Chef Extraordinaire

I remember the first programmable thermostats from Honeywell. You had the week and the weekend. And you had to choose between a 5, 10 or 15 degree variation. And how far in advance to start doing its thing. I think they were 100 bucks wholesale back in the early eighties. They've come a long way.
I remember a report coming out by the nineties that said you should not vary the temp by more than 10 degrees or the recovery would burn any fuel you saved.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #12896
Chef Extraordinaire

We have forced hot air here and I hate it. As a kid we had a wood burning stove and you had to stoke it. I learned to cook on that stove and tell the temperature of the oven with just my hand. There were vents in the ceiling so the heat could rise upstairs. We also had a wood stove in the LR. Then we got an oil burning stove when we left the farm. That heated the whole apartment. Then when I got married I had a six room apartment and had a gas stove at each end. The kitchen stove was a dual stove. Gas for heating and gas for cooking and baking. That stove really threw out the heat. Then I moved into an apartment with central oil heat. Prefer central gas. The source is always there whether you have the money or not. And in this part of the country, they can't shut off your utilities from Nov.1st to May 31st. Even if you don't pay your bill.

I have to laugh at Spike. They don't charge interest on your unpaid bill. By the end of winter, he gets his final bill and it is around $350.00. He feel since they don't charge interest, he can put his money to better use in the winter. So he pays it in full by June 5th. Works for him.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #12897
Chef Extraordinaire

I know. You are going to ask how can his heating bill be so low. He turns it off when he leaves the house in the morning. And at night just before he goes to bed he sets it on 55F. Spike hates the heat. I have never heard him complain of being cold or it being too cold outside for him. He doesn't put on a jacket until around the middle of Nov. Then it is a light one.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #12898
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm about to take Shreddy (17.5 yo tomcat) to the vet to find out if the special food is working on his hyperthyroidism.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #12899
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm about to take Shreddy (17.5 yo tomcat) to the vet to find out if the special food is working on his hyperthyroidism.
Good luck and here's hoping.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #12900
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Good luck and here's hoping.
Thank you.