"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #12931
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just printed a label for one of Stirling's water bottles:

DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE CONTAINMENT UNIT
WARNING: MAY CAUSE DIAPHORESIS,
MICTURATION, AND ACUTE TISSUE HYDRATION
That sounds yummy! I could use a lot of that. Since coffee is a diuretic.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #12932
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I just printed a label for one of Stirling's water bottles:

DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE CONTAINMENT UNIT
WARNING: MAY CAUSE DIAPHORESIS,
MICTURATION, AND ACUTE TISSUE HYDRATION

LOL! That I had to swipe...

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #12933
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I bought The Pirate his laptop, it had Vista. We both hated it. He downloaded Firefox and has never looked back. He had Spike remove Vista and load up Windows 8. Now he is a happy camper.

Not my computer...
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #12934
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I decided that I needed to stop at the pharmacy on the way home from the hardware store. My wrist is getting sore, so I wanted a brace. Since I was going to the pharmacy anyways, I put in an order for Stirling's 'scripts. Got to the pharmacy and the pharmacist recommended Votaren anti-inflammatory cream, since the only anti-inflammatory that has ever worked on me is Voltaren, and, in pill form it's only by prescription. I also bought 4 litres of milk.

When I got home, all I had from the pharmacy was the milk. I checked the car. I checked my purse. I phoned the pharmacy and sure 'nuff, it was at the counter. She apologized and offered to have it delivered. It just arrived. Phew.

Time to try out the anti-inflammatory cream and the new brace.
I hope the brace and new med work for you. It makes life a bit difficult when you can only use one hand.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #12935
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Just booked in for an endoscopy, having it done in a couple of weeks, going to a private clinic
As opposed to a public clinic? We don't have government health care facilities unless you're in the military.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #12936
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
As opposed to a public clinic? We don't have government health care facilities unless you're in the military.
Or a commercial fisherman. My second husband always went to the Marine Hospital in Brookline. It was operated by the Federal Department of Health. (Surgeon General) They have several of these hospital along the coasts.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #12937
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Or a commercial fisherman. My second husband always went to the Marine Hospital in Brookline. It was operated by the Federal Department of Health. (Surgeon General) They have several of these hospital along the coasts.
When was that, Addie? I live on the Atlantic coast, too, and had never heard of it. I did a little research and apparently it was discontinued in 1981. http://www.pcffa.org/fn-mar08.htm
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #12938
Certified Pretend Chef

Sitting here enjoying a cup of coffee and catching up on DC.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #12939
Chef Extraordinaire

It looks like they will be able to get health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. http://www.pcffa.org/fn-jun10.htm
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #12940
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When was that, Addie? I live on the Atlantic coast, too, and had never heard of it. I did a little research and apparently it was discontinued in 1981. PCFFA Fishermen's News March 2008: Bill to Reinstate Fishermen's Health Care Introduced
Back in the late 70's was the last time I went there. It could be that they were closed. Both husbands were seamen. So I used to go there for both of them. The first one had to have his lower jaw rebuilt due to osteoporosis. So he was in there for a long time. He ended up with a metal jaw. Every so often he would ship out on a tanker as a cook. The money was really good. He would be gone for a couple of months and I would get his weekly check in the mail.

Hubby #2. Was a commercial fisherman and on one trip a wire snapped and came back on his hand and left his thumb hanging by a piece of skin. He too was in there for a long time. They saved his thumb. The hospital had a name but everyone just called it The Marine Hospital. It was right across from the hospital that the Kennedy's owned and started the Special Olympics.