"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #12941
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When was that, Addie? I live on the Atlantic coast, too, and had never heard of it. I did a little research and apparently it was discontinued in 1981. PCFFA Fishermen's News March 2008: Bill to Reinstate Fishermen's Health Care Introduced
Thanks for sending that. I had no idea. The last time I had heard of any seaman going to a Marine Hospital was when I was living in Texas and one of the shrimpers got hurt on the boat. The Coast Guard had to go get him and they took him to the Marine Hospital in Corpus Christi. Shortly after that I became a widow and came back to Boston. Never had any reason to go again to the one here. That was around 1973-4.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #12942
Chef Extraordinaire

Have recently got back from the grocery shopping

I also bought Steve the Disney Infinity starter pack for the Wii U...not a bad price at $68.00 which includes the game, 3 figures, the base thingo to put them on and a couple of other bits and pieces...he will be busy playing that this weekend no doubt

Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #12943
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
As opposed to a public clinic? We don't have government health care facilities unless you're in the military.
Over here, you can go to the public hospitals and have procedures and surgeries done for free...the only catch is that there is a waiting list, sometimes very long as in a couple of years, sometimes a couple of months, depends what the operation or procedure is

Since we have private health cover, I like to go to Private Hospitals and Clinics
Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #12944
Chef Extraordinaire

On the phone w mom.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #12945
Chef Extraordinaire

Just went to visit my mum
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #12946
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just arranged a birthday party for one of my best friends. I made an event on Facebook. She's off in New Brunswick celebrating with two of her sisters, so she can't help. I looked through all of her friends, so I could send a message and link to the event. I had to guess which are actual friends and which are "game friends". She has an awful lot of "game friends". Phew, that took a long time.

Of course I just used the invite button to invite mutual friends.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #12947
Chef Extraordinaire

Going to have some lunch now...freezing here and pouring with rain...need something warming
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #12948
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just arranged a birthday party for one of my best friends. I made an event on Facebook......I looked through all of her friends, so I could send a message and link to the event. I had to guess which are actual friends and which are "game friends". She has an awful lot of "game friends".....
What a great friend you are! I hope everything turns out perfectly. And isn't it funny how those "friends" add up on FB? Both my SIL and my best friend back home were acquiring friends left and right. How come they have so many? I asked my SIL where she was meeting these folks, since when she went out it was usually the two of us out together. "Oh, I don't know them. I just play games with them on facebook". Except for a few authors I follow on FB that had "friend" options rather than "like" options, I know every Facebook friend in my list in real life. Shocking, I know! Or old-fashioned.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #12949
Chef Extraordinaire

Have just been playing Infinity by Disney on the Wii U for hours, it is great
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #12950
Master Chef

Sitting here with my toes crossed (had to uncross the fingers to type ) hoping that THIS job interview Himself is on actually results in a job. I love him, but they do say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Basically, he needs to go away every day for a while...