What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snakes have never bothered me. I also enjoy spiders, frogs, and toads. Just not in the house.

I think the only poisonous snakes we might have here along the river are timber rattlers. I've never seen one.

Edit: apparently we have 4 poisonous snakes here. All but the timber rattler are endangered and protected.

Last edited:
Snakes have never bothered me. I also enjoy spiders, frogs, and toads. Just not in the house.

I think the only poisonous snakes we might have here along the river are timber rattlers. I've never seen one.

Edit: apparently we have 4 poisonous snakes here. All but the timber rattler are endangered and protected.

Snakes are venemous. Poison comes from plants or manufacture.

This snake was shiny black, with long red stripes down both sides. I would have worn it as jewelry, it was so pretty.

Apparently DH thought differently.

Last edited:
When I had my garden, I put put out an old glass pie dish of water for the butterflies. One day when I came home, my neighbor told me she had stopped by and she "admired my toad". I asked her what toad and she said the one in the water dish.

I'm glad she warned me. When I checked the water dish, the toad was still in it and literally filled the dish he was so large. Had I seen that not knowing what it was, I probably would have screamed like a little girl and run like heck.

We used to have tarantulas that would rear back and hiss at you if you poked them with a stick. Which I did only once.

Could this be your "necklace", Dawg?

western_worm_snake_photo_courtesy_of_suzanne_collins.jpg

The image is from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife site, but I bet those snakes don't look at the state lines as they travel up the mighty Mississip. ;)

The only name I've found associated with a snake like that is "Black Worm Snake" but what I saw mentions a snake that is smaller than what you describe. I'm going to guess that your snake is a different type? Therefore, you want any more info? Happy Hunting!

When I had my garden, I put put out an old glass pie dish of water for the butterflies. One day when I came home, my neighbor told me she had stopped by and she "admired my toad". I asked her what toad and she said the one in the water dish.

I'm glad she warned me. When I checked the water dish, the toad was still in it and literally filled the dish he was so large. Had I seen that not knowing what it was, I probably would have screamed like a little girl and run like heck.

We used to have tarantulas that would rear back and hiss at you if you poked them with a stick. Which I did only once.

I did once, quite loudly actually. We have marine toads that secrete a toxic substance,can actually kill dogs, small children, that some people actually lick to supposedly get high... Anyway they get as big as a dinner plate and will bury themselves in damp, wet areas to keep cool. I was weeding 1 day at the old house that was close to the Glades and backed up to a lake. All of a sudden 1 of the dinner plate sized ones exploded from underneath my hand. Ended up on my butt and not only did Craig come running but some neighbors from across the lake came out to see what was going on.

Gah! Medtran!!

One of my cockers many years ago was not well-known for his intelligence, just his beauty. He brought a toad inside in his mouth, and let it go. Apparently he wanted his own pet. Took me awhile to catch the little guy and put it back outside.

We spent a lot of the day welcoming bikers along our newly completed road who were riding RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). I really do need to invest in a set of pom-poms for DH. He was very friendly to all. We smiled and waved constantly. 5 days on a bicycle, I do not think so.

Gah! Medtran!!

One of my cockers many years ago was not well-known for his intelligence, just his beauty. He brought a toad inside in his mouth, and let it go. Apparently he wanted his own pet. Took me awhile to catch the little guy and put it back outside.

When we lived on Guam, over 50 years ago, Mom opened the back door and a ten pound toad/frog jumped in...Mom jumped higher:ROFLMAO: The screams could be heard in Hawaii.

Don't think so. My snake was a beautiful shiny black, with red pinstripes on both sides. Pretty certain it was some type of garter snake.

Now DH swears there's another snake in the garage. The man is giving me fits. Guess I'll have to break out the tongs again.

Don't think so. My snake was a beautiful shiny black, with red pinstripes on both sides. Pretty certain it was some type of garter snake.

Now DH swears there's another snake in the garage. The man is giving me fits. Guess I'll have to break out the tongs again.
Bring your phone or camera.

Bring your phone or camera.

Oh, indeed!

We have so many hiding places in the garage. And now that I found out that DH is afraid of snakes....

Heh. I have some great ammunition now. Not that I needed any, but it doesn't hurt to add to the arsenal.

Last edited:

Time to have some fun!

Honey, remember the other snake that was in the garage, I think I just saw it in the... :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This morning I made a small two potato salad.

When I made the mayonnaise it broke into a slimy mess! :mad:

That has only happened to me a couple of times and usually it is because I start to get a little too cheffy for my own good. A good dollop of humility, a splash of cold water and a couple of egg yolks was all it needed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkH3n_kqZ0

Dawg....I would be SOOO tempted to do the rubber snake thing...:ermm::LOL:

We have several kinds of snakes out here, including the deadly Mojave Green rattler :ohmy:, king snakes, probably garters, and some kind of really pretty bright yellow snake. Might be a racer, not sure. We don't have much in the way of frogs or toads, maybe some of the folks with ponds have them but I'm pretty sure they've been brought in from somewhere else.

We do have these little guys, I think they're so cute. :LOL: The Horned Toad, which is technically a lizard. We used to go catch them as kids, then release them. Docile little things, but when threatened, they freak out their predators by squirting blood out of their eyes at them, with precision aim. :ohmy::)

Attachments

• horned toad.jpg
    horned toad.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom