"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #12991
Chef Extraordinaire

I just pulled my pork bellies off the smoker.
They are now officially slabs of bacon.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #12992
Chef Extraordinaire

And now I am smelling these all through the house
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacon 2 bellies.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	18525
I had them in the dog safe (oven) gently coming up to room temp. Now they are in the fridge cooling off so they slice easier.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #12993
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs Kylie)))

Does glucosamine help on the arthritis? I've been told it helps prevent loss of cartilage, but I don't really know.

When you say you need to walk "...different tracks each time..." are you talking about walking on a treadle? Would water walking be a good exercise for you?

I sure hope you find ways take care of the pain and that any tear, heals itself soon.
Thank you so much Taxy xxx

I am not sure about glucosamine helping, but I will look into it for sure

It is when we go out for our nightly walks, we were doing a certain block, the surgeon said that that can make the Iliotibial Band Syndrome worse as you are using the same muscles and tissues in your leg and knee each time, so he said to walk different blocks, different parks etc

I am not sure about walking walking, but it sounds like it would be a good idea, will look into that too, thanks Taxy
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #12994
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks Kylie! Unfortunately, my crossed fingers didn't seem to be doing any good for your knee. A few years back I had a small accident - on vacation - in Yosmite Park in California; the doctor in the ER thought I had torn my ACL and put me in a knee brace. When I got home to our own doctor he found out that all I had done was sprain my knee really badly. BUT keeping it immobilized help the sprain heal quicker. If you're supposed to rest and you keep doing too much walking around I suggest you have Steve duct tape a couple straight boards along side your knee!
Thank you CG xxx

Yes, I was considering buying a knee brace for when we go on our walks, I meant to ask the surgeon about it yesterday but after all the results I just forgot..I think any type of support would certainly help, possibly even with the arthritis
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #12995
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here getting depressed. I have been trying to vacuum and I just can't do it. It is so frustrating. I have a canister and that is part of the problem. I need to get an upright. I find myself tripping over the hose, always have the dang thing in the wrong place. I have to admit, I need to have a housekeeper come in once a week. I just can't do this anymore. I vacuumed one spot and my heart was racing so hard. And I can't keep asking Spike to do my housework. He has his own work that he does all day. So often he falls asleep here right in the computer chair. I am losing ground and I don't like it.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #12996
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I am going to my grandson's house Saturday for the whole day. He graduates from the firefighter's academy and they are having a party. I will get to see three of my great grandchildren. He is certified as an EMT also, so that will be included in his new pay rate. One more family getting on their feet finally.
Congratulations to your grandson Ads, that is such a great job that he will be doing

Hope you have a lovely day!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #12997
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sitting here getting depressed. I have been trying to vacuum and I just can't do it. It is so frustrating. I have a canister and that is part of the problem. I need to get an upright. I find myself tripping over the hose, always have the dang thing in the wrong place. I have to admit, I need to have a housekeeper come in once a week. I just can't do this anymore. I vacuumed one spot and my heart was racing so hard. And I can't keep asking Spike to do my housework. He has his own work that he does all day. So often he falls asleep here right in the computer chair. I am losing ground and I don't like it.
(((Hugs Addie)))

I understand not liking the feeling of losing ground. But, maybe if you get that housework help (and maybe some other help too), you will find that you can regain ground on things that are more enjoyable, because you won't be too tired to do them.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #12998
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs Addie)))

I understand not liking the feeling of losing ground. But, maybe if you get that housework help (and maybe some other help too), you will find that you can regain ground on things that are more enjoyable, because you won't be too tired to do them.
+1!
Definitely try to make your life more enjoyable.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #12999
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Today I got my results back from my MRI

Okay...I have 2 things happening and one suspicious one

I have arthritis in the kneecap, it is under the patella and some of the cartilage has gone already...if it gets worse down the track, I can get some cartilage replaced possibly

I also have something called IBS, Iliotibial Band Syndrome...it is what is causing the pain on the outer side of my knee. At this point there is not much they can do about it, but if it gets worse or continues causing pain the surgeon suggested an arthoscopy to see what is going on inside as scans, mri's etc cant see everything

The suspicious one is on the inner side of my knee, there "may" be a small tear in the ligament..that is probably why it is extremely painful to touch...but he said at this point to leave it....if it starts to cause pain whilst walking etc then that may mean it definitely was a tear and that it is getting bigger, which will need surgery

So at this point, I definitely have arthritis of the kneecap and this IBS...I just have to keep an eye on things...I am not to use the exercise bike and when I walk I need to walk different tracks each time as walking the same block for example puts more pressure on the lateral band. I can take anti inflammatory tablets and use ice as he said the knee is very inflamed on the side
It's a peace of ming getting the results back. Maybe walking in a pool would give you some relief in your arthritic knee. I know it's done wonders for my knee as I also have arthritis. Good luck with it!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #13000
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you so much SB