What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put up my first case of Hatch chiles today. I plan on putting up 4 cases again this year

Attachments

• DSCN5124.jpg
    DSCN5124.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 109
I just finished cleaning up for the cleaning people :ROFLMAO: Got piles of clutter put away or thrown away, to get it out of their way. I'll take pictures of my newly spotless kitchen this afternoon for the kitchen pix thread ;)

Wow, Beth. Do you have any tips for speeding up prepping those peppers?

Just got back home with my second 30# case. Any place in Taos that sells chiles by the case also has roasters. You wheel the case out side the store, wait in line, the roaster takes your case(s) and a few minutes later you are off the the whole case roasted for you. When home, you put on gloves!!! and bag them up for the freezer. I am assuming this service is not available for you, so no, I don't have any tips. I am considering putting up 5 cases this year. It is sinfully easy with the roasting service.

Darn. Yeah, the only place I know of that does that is the Whole Foods in Virginia Beach, and of course, they only roast what they sell. It's my understanding that it's a madhouse :LOL: I'll just have to keep doing them by hand.

Just got back home with my second 30# case. Any place in Taos that sells chiles by the case also has roasters. You wheel the case out side the store, wait in line, the roaster takes your case(s) and a few minutes later you are off the the whole case roasted for you. When home, you put on gloves!!! and bag them up for the freezer. I am assuming this service is not available for you, so no, I don't have any tips. I am considering putting up 5 cases this year. It is sinfully easy with the roasting service.

Beth, do you remove the seeds and veins and skins before you bag them for the freezer, or just freeze them roasted whole?

Last edited:
Beth, do you remove the seeds and veins before you bag them for the freezer, or just freeze them roasted whole?

I follow what the Hispanics do here and they just put the whole chiles in the freezer bags. I do know when you go to use the thawed chiles, it is very easy to skin and de-seed/devein the chiles then. The charred skins slide right off. Some people run the thawed chiles under water but I think that rinses off some of the flavor. Did I see where you got some HOT chiles!? Medium hot is the furthest I go on the dark side:) I put up a case of mild today which has very little heat. The medium hot chiles cause us to find some milk/sour cream/yogurt as soon as possible.

I am interested in any tips for doing this at home. Last year I had 6 chile plants and only made ristras with them. This year I have 16 plants and they are beginning to resemble my zucchini plants in terms of production:wacko:

There is where I get my seeds to start the chile plants.

Hot Pepper Seeds – Green Chile Seeds, Hatch Chili Seeds – Sandia Seed Company

This year I am growing Big Jim Heritage, Hatch Green, Hatch Red, and Joe E. Parker.

This morning I finished uploading another 300+ pictures to Photobucket. There are now 5500+ pictures and smilies there. Since I am totally anal, I have all the pics sorted into folders. There are still three folders I need to organize so I can find things when I want them. I might do that this evening.

A couple minutes ago I finished mixing the hamburger mixture and put it in the fridge to meld the flavors a little. At 4, I'll roll it into meatballs, put them under the broiler a couple minutes to let the fat all drip out, and then throw them in the crock pot with some sauce. My goal is to make meatballs like the ones that come with the Stouffer's Spaghetti and Meatballs frozen meal.

I also have to do laundry tonight and fill out a couple forms for the Housing Authority and Social Services to drop off tomorrow or the next day. And if they fix the elevator today, I suppose I should run back over to the store and let them refund me for overcharging me on the hamburger I bought. I'll be picking up some potatoes and peanut butter while I'm there.

Oh, and my cream expires tomorrow, so I guess I'll try to make butter out of what's left. No point in throwing it out.

And I wanted to work a little on the dollhouse, since it's finally cooled off some.

All that, and here I sit on the computer. *sigh*

Last edited:
I'm ordering glasses online. I'm at the hair pulling stage. There are too many frames that I like. I am trying to keep it to three pairs of glasses. The good part is that they have a thingee that lets you see what the glasses will look like on. It works quite well.

I'm ordering glasses online. I'm at the hair pulling stage. There are too many frames that I like. I am trying to keep it to three pairs of glasses. The good part is that they have a thingee that lets you see what the glasses will look like on. It works quite well.

I got only my frames on line for the grand sum of $9.00. And my health plan reimbursed me for even that. They also paid for my eye exam and lenses. I paid $60.00 for the transitional treatment to my infinity lens. So all it cost me in the end for the two pair was $60.00. Less than a pair of decent frames would have cost me. If I had chosen to take the frames my health plan offers I would have been laughed into hiding. They are so hideous.

Pirate will be ordering his next pair of glasses on line also. :angel:

I got only my frames on line for the grand sum of $9.00. And my health plan reimbursed me for even that. They also paid for my eye exam and lenses. I paid $60.00 for the transitional treatment to my infinity lens. So all it cost me in the end for the two pair was $60.00. Less than a pair of decent frames would have cost me. If I had chosen to take the frames my health plan offers I would have been laughed into hiding. They are so hideous.

Pirate will be ordering his next pair of glasses on line also. :angel:
How did you get just the frames online? Do you bring the empty frames to the optician and have them make lenses to fit the frames?

Now that I am officially a senior citizen, RAMQ (the provincial health insurance board, sort of medicare for everyone) pays for my eye exam. I ordered three pairs of glasses for a total of U$137.44, including shipping. Stirling's health insurance we refund me 80% of that minus the $9.95 shipping.

How did you get just the frames online? Do you bring the empty frames to the optician and have them make lenses to fit the frames?

Now that I am officially a senior citizen, RAMQ (the provincial health insurance board, sort of medicare for everyone) pays for my eye exam. I ordered three pairs of glasses for a total of U$137.44, including shipping. Stirling's health insurance we refund me 80% of that minus the $9.95 shipping.

You don't have to use their lens service. I brought the frames to my eye doctor, and they ordered the lens to fit my frames. Since I had the cataract surgery, I let them do my lens. They have on record what strength my contact lens were and I could trust them.

I love being a senior citizen. I now qualify for EVERTHING! :angel:

In the wee hour of Wednesday, I placed a rather large order with Jet and Amazon. Delivery is expected on some items today. Of course, where do you think I have to be for most of the morning? In Winthrop for my monthly checkup. And I can't cancel it either. I need a refill on ALL my medications. And they are delivered to Winthrop each month.

I will have my phone with me and can let them in with the packages.

When I looked at the shipping weight and figured up the sales taxes, I figured I saved more than $30. Amazon Prime has more than paid off this year. Whether I renew or not, I will wait to make that decision in November. But I do have my calendar marked to remind me. :angel:

Just came in to cool off a bit. Whew! Another triple digit day, with oppressive humidity to enhance the experience.

So hot that all our plants need to be watered twice a day. I try to do it in the morning before it gets blast furnace hot and then early evening when the heat moderates a bit. It was 82F when we went to bed at 11 last night.

I don't handle the heat as well since I got sick, which makes me sad. I love being outside "playing" with all the flowers and vegetable plants.

Just came in to cool off a bit. Whew! Another triple digit day, with oppressive humidity to enhance the experience.

So hot that all our plants need to be watered twice a day. I try to do it in the morning before it gets blast furnace hot and then early evening when the heat moderates a bit. It was 82F when we went to bed at 11 last night.

I don't handle the heat as well since I got sick, which makes me sad. I love being outside "playing" with all the flowers and vegetable plants.

I can empathize with you. It is only 83ºF today outside with a nice breeze. But that sun is just beating down and forcing a person inside or to find some shade. Otherwise I would be right out there sitting and working on my sewing. :angel:

Congratulations! Pictures please. And then some more pictures. We love pictures. :angel:

Sure. It doesn't look too good right now, lots of boxes and open space. But I'm hoping it will be picture-worthy in a month or two. I'll definitely post pics of the kitchen. So excited about my new kitchen! (it's nothing great, but after years of my 70's apt kitchen, this kitchen is the best thing ever)!

Congratulations on your new home, Kathy Lee! You'll have so much fun decorating it with your own personal touches....once the boxes are unpacked. :ermm::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom