"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #13101
Certified Pretend Chef

Finishing up my bagel so I can head out the the supermarket to pick up a few things to get us to the weekend since we missed our shopping day being away.

Trying to fill in some missing items so I have the ingredients for a complete meal.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #13102
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
now, can we hear from west coast generator owners. no, huh?
West Coast checking in. Living in earthquake country it's wise to have one. Food Q's extra ammo handy if necessary wouldn't hurt either. Just sayin'.

I always feel bad for people who live in apartments who have to rely on the public works for everything. If the powers out, so are they. The noise from them wouldn't be tolerated long from their neighbors either.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #13103
Chef Extraordinaire

If you have a freezer jammed packed with food stuff, you want that generator when the power goes out. It is usually the first thing you hook up to it.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #13104
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
After Isabel blew through here, most of my friends went out and bought generators. There ain't been very many times they have needed them since, however. There was the guy who runs a hardware store in the next town down the road who was prosecuted for price gouging on generators. I am glad that I didn't get all caught up in the rush for a generator. I don't feel that a generator is a necessity, but I can see where it might come in handy from time to time.
We bought one a few years ago because one of the meds I take has to be refrigerated and it's very expensive. It paid for itself with the one time we lost power since then.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #13105
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's the beauty of owning one, Hoot.
Once you have bought one you will never need to use it.
And that is why I'm very grateful to my neighbors and SIL for all of them buying their generators! Back in 2011 we had a run of terrible weather events in central MA. On June 1st a tornado ripped a continuous path about 37 miles long, starting around Springfield MA and finally lifting up off the ground about 3 miles from our home. That time the power stayed on for us. Two months later Hurricane Irene blew through poor Springfield, but our area got dumped with rain and lost power...and a huge tree in the back. Fortunately, it leaned away from the house into other trees rather than leaning on our roof. Finally, Snowtober showed up for Halloween - along with about 6-7 inches of heavy snow. That knocked our power out for over 2 1/2 days...and drove about half the people on this street to buy generators. And you can figure out what hasn't happened since - shhhhhh!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #13106
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you have a freezer jammed packed with food stuff, you want that generator when the power goes out. It is usually the first thing you hook up to it.
And if you have space in the freezer, fill the empty spots with water bottles. I had about 7 of those almost-half-gallon juice bottles in there all frozen up when we had the long power outage a couple years back. All we lost from the freezer in 63 1/2 hours of no power was about a cup of ice cream. The one package of hot dogs was getting a bit soft, so we had those that night for dinner. Everything else was still rock hard.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #13107
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And if you have space in the freezer, fill the empty spots with water bottles. I had about 7 of those almost-half-gallon juice bottles in there all frozen up when we had the long power outage a couple years back. All we lost from the freezer in 63 1/2 hours of no power was about a cup of ice cream. The one package of hot dogs was getting a bit soft, so we had those that night for dinner. Everything else was still rock hard.
Can you re-use those water bottles?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #13108
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Can you re-use those water bottles?
Oh-kay...I know there was some sort of thread asking about reusing water bottles but I never read it. I'm missing the joke here. Besides, it's not like I'm reusing them for consumption purposes. Just to turn them into ice blocks. Or to whack someone over the head with....
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #13109
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't read it either, CG, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity for a cross-reference

I'm waiting for the mail. According to USPS tracking, I have a package sitting in the local PO that isn't due to be delivered until tomorrow. So when the mail truck rolls through here (any minute now), I'll know if I need to make a trip to the PO to get my package. In which case that's what I'll be doing
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #13110
Chef Extraordinaire

Well that saves me a trip to the post office.