"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #13121
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh yes, the branch is saved!

I drive DH nuts sometimes.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #13122
Chef Extraordinaire

Good deal.
I'm going to start saving dead branches from the apple trees around me. I *think* all you need to do is de-bark them. I think...

I'm sitting here cooking and surfing and wondering who all we are missing here. Seems like a slow post count day.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #13123
Chef Extraordinaire

Counting the bruises from the visiting Great Dane. Sadly, like so many dogs that come into rescue, he lacks house manners and, well, has one very annoying behaviour...he mounts humans. We figured out the trigger (arm raised out to the side--which happens to be how I teach eye contact). Fortunately, he nudges me in the stomach (which is where his head is--he is a big boy) before he does this behaviour so I'm working on breaking the behaviour sequence.

When Giants are puppies, people often teach them to "hug." Not a good idea when the dog gets to be 140 lb. He knocked me off my feet on the front lawn yesterday (fill in the blanks). Suffice it to say, I was glad no one was driving by with their cell phone capturing a video--it would've gone viral on YouTube. He had the upper ... um ... hand, but I did manage to escape and regain my footing. Now when we go out, I'm using a prong collar, even though the rescue group doesn't approve of prong collars. I did not like them for a long time, either. However, after a Saint wrenched my back pulling, I changed my tune. Not the type of collar for every dog, but if one knows how to use it (the collar does the work, not the person--no jerking, tugging--just stand still), it can be an effective tool (Saints can pull 12x their body weight--we've all gone lawn surfing at least once on the other end of the leash with a Saint). I would not use it on him (he doesn't pull when walking) except I have to be able to get him off of me and sheer strength (mine) is not enough. He is one strong boy.

Fortunately, I am smarter than the average Great Dane and have trained a lot of dogs over the years. This is, however, my first "mounting" Giant. Once I succeed in redirecting this behaviour before it gets to the "mount" stage, I will work him on a flat collar. Real cute behaviour, former owners.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #13124
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I didn't read it either, CG, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity for a cross-reference

I'm waiting for the mail. According to USPS tracking, I have a package sitting in the local PO that isn't due to be delivered until tomorrow. So when the mail truck rolls through here (any minute now), I'll know if I need to make a trip to the PO to get my package. In which case that's what I'll be doing
I don't share your confidence, pac.

On August 5, I renewed a prescription from my prescription service via the Internet. All went well with the service and I awaited my package.

Within a few hours of placing the order I received the tracking number. Cool. Then the fun began...

On Aug. 9 the, box left Compton, CA, by Aug. 12 it had made its way to Hazelwood, MO. Got to Cincinnati, OH on Aug. 18. Left Cincinnati the next day and ended up in Des Moines, IA the same day and left there a few hours later. Guess what? Back to Hazelwood, MO on the 20th and got out of there later that day. Arrived in Mayfield, KY on the 21st, which is almost here. I finally received it on August 22.

The hilarious part is that, at the bottom of the tracking information, it assured me that the parcel would be delivered to my no later than August 17th.

Hope you receive what you ordered...at least in this lifetime.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #13125
Chef Extraordinaire

Prong collars are great equalizers.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #13126
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Good deal.
I'm going to start saving dead branches from the apple trees around me. I *think* all you need to do is de-bark them. I think...

I'm sitting here cooking and surfing and wondering who all we are missing here. Seems like a slow post count day.
I haven't debarked mine. I let them dry and then cut them into discs to use with my smoker. I do the same with pear tree branches.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #13127
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, USPS tracking is absolutely absurd. It's never right. Could be early, could be late, but at least you know when the mailman shows up which it is. Today UPS didn't show up until 5:00. A couple says ago it was 10:00 AM. I know I've said it before, but I love that the mail runs like clockwork, even if they don't know what's in the truck
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #13128
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I haven't debarked mine. I let them dry and then cut them into discs to use with my smoker. I do the same with pear tree branches.
You would know, but I could have sworn I read to take the bark off. Maybe it burns quicker and raises your temps?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #13129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You would know, but I could have sworn I read to take the bark off. Maybe it burns quicker and raises your temps?
I would say yes (that's what happens with birch--the "paper" burns faster than the wood). I soak the discs. I do know that when you turn apple wood, it is lovely <g>. Maybe I'll take the bark off and do a test. I'm hankering to smoke the last turkey in my freezer when the temps drop (and when I have room in my 2nd fridge--into full veggie / garden harvest mode right now).
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #13130
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Prong collars are great equalizers.
+1 Especially when the dog is stronger than you are!