"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #13191
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Every time my brain-voice starts to sing that in my head I see Muppets in my mind's eye!

Thanks for that.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #13192
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm avoiding the big shopping bag of underripe apples, knowing I'll have to do something with them soon. Thankfully, I was able to gift a friend with the other big bag.

More apples to come, hopefully they'll stay on the tree till they're ripe, usually mid September. On good apple years, we get dozens of bags. I just wasn't mentally prepared for them yet.

I'm also faced with a bunch of cukes and cherry toms, though not on the same scale as CWS.
A friend is dropping off apples tomorrow. I'm thinking crockpot apple butter...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #13193
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm also faced with a bunch of cukes and cherry toms, though not on the same scale as CWS.
A big batch of taboulleh and toss it in the freezer (toboulleh does freeze well).
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #13194
Honey Badger

Doing nothing. Am I doing it right?.. Too hot and muggy to do anything else.Watching Straight Jacket. Glad I'm not in the same room with Joan Crawford. It's a shame they no longer make good movies like that anymore.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #13195
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Doing nothing. Am I doing it right?.. Too hot and muggy to do anything else.Watching Straight Jacket. Glad I'm not in the same room with Joan Crawford. It's a shame they no longer make good movies like that anymore.
I wish they had more actresses like Joan Crawford and Barbara Stanwick. Even the male stars like Cary Grant and Robert Taylor just seemed to make better movies then.

I love a good B&W story from the 40's and 50's.

We have a channel that shows old B&W TV shows. I watched the very first episode of The Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels the other day. And yes, Lassie is still rescuing Timmy. In B&W.

Do you give lesson in Doing Nothing? You do it so perfectly.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #13196
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I wish they had more actresses like Joan Crawford and Barbara Stanwick. Even the male stars like Cary Grant and Robert Taylor just seemed to make better movies then.

I love a good B&W story from the 40's and 50's.

We have a channel that shows old B&W TV shows. I watched the very first episode of The Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels the other day. And yes, Lassie is still rescuing Timmy. In B&W.

Do you give lesson in Doing Nothing? You do it so perfectly.
We have Netflix & Hulu. I've been watching some oldie's here. Last night it was some flying Cowboy Constable. Go figure. Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel

Found an old Lone Ranger book & 2 Radio Boys books published in the 1920's packed away in boxes. One of them has an inscription that's dated to the receiver March 22,1925. Has a Wisconsin address. His Aunt had beautiful penmanship. The other has an Illinois addy. No puns intended

Lazy lessons are extra.
Just sayin'
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #13197
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Watching the original Muppet movie, never fails to bring a smile to my face. Anytime that I can see Kermit riding a bicycle or wearing cowboy boots with spurs I can't help but laugh!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #13198
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the early 60's every other show was a western. Now I love a good western. But like the reality shows of today, the airways were glutted with westerns. We only had three channels then on a TV that you had to adjust the antennas and the horizontal and vertical. I got my fill of westerns. But my old channel is showing all those shows. The Virginian, Gunsmoke, etc. Once again I can get my fill on them.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #13199
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Watching the original Muppet movie, never fails to bring a smile to my face. Anytime that I can see Kermit riding a bicycle or wearing cowboy boots with spurs I can't help but laugh!
Oh, I love the Muppet Show.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #13200
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here and just looked at the clock on my computer. Five in the morning? I am sitting here playing stupid games on the computer. My weather station on my computer says it is raining out. I go to look out the window. Wasted effort. Spike has about 500 used lottery scratch tickets sitting on the sill. Can't even see over them. He has several stores that save them for him. He enters them into the computer for "Second Chance". He has a friend who enters them also. They are sort of in a competition. Who can win the most prizes. I don't know why his friend just doesn't give up. Spike enters them in his son's name. Last year he won $10,000. Pic in the paper, standing there with the giant check, etc. The whole celebrity thing. His friend fumed for about a week. I am hoping he wins another Cuisinart set of non-stick pans. I get them this time. The prizes are really excellent quality brand name items. Spike has won so many times, that he is running out of folks to give the items to. Tickets to all the teams, dinner in the owners box, etc. Oh it is not all free. At the end of the year his son receives a 1099 form. Taxes do have to be paid. But his son sure impresses his friends when he invites one of them to go with him. He doesn't tell them how he got the special invites. Let's them think he is in the know with the owners. His son has played practice with the Celtics, did exercises with the Patriots, been in the locker room with the Red Sox and also with the Bruins. Not a bad deal for the kid when his father does all the work on entering them into the computer for him.

Happy Labor Day everyone. Don't work too hard.