"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #13271
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sounds as if your friends' and MIL's terriers were not well trained. Ninety-five percent of inappropriate behaviours in dogs is because the owner has not spent time rewarding the dog for appropriate behaviour. A well-trained black Lab could be a very destructive dog (chewer) without an owner who spent the time training the dog. Dogs don't train themselves. When casting blame, one needs to look at the other end of the leash as well.
I know. It's frustrating because we did take the time to train our dog. My MIL thinks she's a wonderful dog trainer because they used to raise cairn terriers, but all she does is yell at them. My friend tried to train her dog but I don't think she really has the patience for it. Luckily they're all getting older so they don't jump around as much.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #13272
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Ow. That high-pitched attempt at singing hurts my ears. lol

Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #13273
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I used to dogsit a well behaved Jack Russell. Unusual for the breed.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #13274
Chef Extraordinaire

Whew, been slaving over a hot stove all morning. Well, not really, but in bursts... in-between doing other things
Now I am waiting for the ham shank to cool so I can shred it and watching the Sacketts. And the sun just came out for the first time since Friday. Yay.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #13275
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's 52F and raining. I'm going for a walk.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #13276
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I don't share your confidence, pac.

On August 5, I renewed a prescription from my prescription service via the Internet. All went well with the service and I awaited my package.

Within a few hours of placing the order I received the tracking number. Cool. Then the fun began...

On Aug. 9 the, box left Compton, CA, by Aug. 12 it had made its way to Hazelwood, MO. Got to Cincinnati, OH on Aug. 18. Left Cincinnati the next day and ended up in Des Moines, IA the same day and left there a few hours later. Guess what? Back to Hazelwood, MO on the 20th and got out of there later that day. Arrived in Mayfield, KY on the 21st, which is almost here. I finally received it on August 22.

The hilarious part is that, at the bottom of the tracking information, it assured me that the parcel would be delivered to my no later than August 17th.

Hope you receive what you ordered...at least in this lifetime.
I got an app for my Android called "Slice" It DOES require my email address, but I have a separate email address for stuff I order anyway. It tells me when my stuff ships, where it is, when delivery is expected and I get an alert when it is delivered. It won't help with the speed of delivery, but you'll know when it's there.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #13277
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sounds as if your friends' and MIL's terriers were not well trained. Ninety-five percent of inappropriate behaviours in dogs is because the owner has not spent time rewarding the dog for appropriate behaviour......
The real problem is even though the dog is trainable, some owners can not be taught. You can't fix stupid - or, apparently, train it.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #13278
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You can't fix stupid - or, apparently, train it.
Your right. But you can bring it back their mistakes in a bag and leave it at the door.
Not a dead dog. Just the presents they leave in your yard. Some owners have to learn the hard way.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #13279
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Your right. But you can bring it back their mistakes in a bag and leave it at the door.
Not a dead dog. Just the presents they leave in your yard. Some owners have to learn the hard way.
I was taken completely by surprise when Spike got Teddy. He is the kind of person that he is so laid back, that you swear nothing bothers him. So I thought for sure that he was the kind who would leave those droppings where ever Teddy left them, never train him to behave, etc. You couldn't ask for a more responsible dog owner. He certainly surprised me.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #13280
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Heck, if that were the problem I could always put it on their porch and set it on fire. (Actually had a friend years ago who put it in the neighbor's mailbox on a hot and sunny day - then waited for the carrier to warn him to wait a day with the mail.) Nope, it's the tie-the-dogs-up/leave-them-out-for-hours-to-bark issue. Can't complain to the neighbor when they do that and then leave for the day. Besides, the neighbor in question is so stupid (how stupid is she?) she got mad at her husband and threw her wedding ring in his direction...which was the same direction as our back yard. Not sure if that ring is still in one piece since Himself cut the grass, but it's value is $10,000. You read that right - ten thousand dollars. I sure hope she did not have it insured.