"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #1321
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Tim, I know you are retired. If you retired due to disability, then you are eligible for Medicare Disability. That covers your hospitalization, if necessary. You will receive full benefits as if you retired at 65 or older.
Thanks Addie, but my retirement was the result of downsizing. Northrop Grumman was getting rid of anyone over 50 that had more than 20 years with the company and hiring 20 somethings to replace them at half the salary. My replacement was hired exactly one week after I went out the gate on a forced retirement.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #1322
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Thanks Addie, but my retirement was the result of downsizing. Northrop Grumman was getting rid of anyone over 50 that had more than 20 years with the company and hiring 20 somethings to replace them at half the salary. My replacement was hired exactly one week after I went out the gate on a forced retirement.
Well that sucked! My girlfriend in CA, work on the stealth bomber for them. She was the purchasing agent. Same thing happened to her. And the bomber wasn't even in production yet. Then the next week after she got laid off, her new husband got laid off. Age thing again. And they had just bought a new home.

But look at all the fun you are having now. You got the last laugh!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #1323
Executive Chef

Quote:
Well that sucked! My girlfriend in CA, work on the stealth bomber for them. She was the purchasing agent. Same thing happened to her. And the bomber wasn't even in production yet. Then the next week after she got laid off, her new husband got laid off. Age thing again. And they had just bought a new home.

But look at all the fun you are having now. You got the last laugh!
HA! I sure am Addie! I still feel like I'm waiting for "the other shoe to drop", because I'm having such a great time in retirement.

I'm finally getting it through my head that I can just enjoy myself now.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #1324
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just finished the regular Friday laundry and housecleaning. Had a nice lunch and think I'll settle down and take a brief nap. I'm feelin' a little lazy and I'm still feeling the effects of the cortisone shot I received in my right knee yesterday. I usually feel a little "tender" in that knee and have some inability to put too much pressure on it for about 48 hours after the cortisone. But, after that...look out world! I can whip my weight in wildcats. By tomorrow...here, kitty, kitty, kitty!!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #1325
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
HA! I sure am Addie! I still feel like I'm waiting for "the other shoe to drop", because I'm having such a great time in retirement.

I'm finally getting it through my head that I can just enjoy myself now.
It is too bad that the bottom line is the most important thing instead of people. Losing company loyalty in the end is going to cost more for the corporatate world, and they won't realize it before it is too late.

When I was helpiing my grandson with his resume, I noticed that he was jumping from job to job. I mentioned that it didn't look good on his resume. He informed that it doesn't work that way anymore. You get hired with the understanding that you will leave for a better offer elsewhere and for more money. How sad.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #1326
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
It is too bad that the bottom line is the most important thing instead of people. Losing company loyalty in the end is going to cost more for the corporatate world, and they won't realize it before it is too late.

When I was helpiing my grandson with his resume, I noticed that he was jumping from job to job. I mentioned that it didn't look good on his resume. He informed that it doesn't work that way anymore. You get hired with the understanding that you will leave for a better offer elsewhere and for more money. How sad.
Loyalty used to mean something. Not any more. The era of the gold watch for 25 years' service is gone.

I realized midway through my work life that you don't have careers or long-term jobs anymore. Your work life is a series of temporary jobs. Then either you or your employer decides you're better off somewhere else and you change partners again.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #1327
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Loyalty used to mean something. Not any more. The era of the gold watch for 25 years' service is gone.

I realized midway through my work life that you don't have careers or long-term jobs anymore. Your work life is a series of temporary jobs. Then either you or your employer decides you're better off somewhere else and you change partners again.
I got a Garmin GPS for my 25 years... Much cooler than a gold watch!

I had a total of 5 jobs in my entire life! 25 years of them with Northrop Grumman. (It was just Grumman when I hired in.)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #1328
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I got a Garmin GPS for my 25 years... Much cooler than a gold watch!...

So they gave you a Garmin and told you to get lost. What's wrong with this picture?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #1329
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So they gave you a Garmin and told you to get lost. What's wrong with this picture?
Thank you Andy. More laughs at Tim's expense. Did the have the road out of town already mapped out for you Tim?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #1330
Chef Extraordinaire

different day , same old stuff. a little wash, dusting, etc. etc. etc.