What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, here I sit with a choice to make.

Saw the doctor this morning. He reviewed the x-rays of my knee and said it was totally "gone." All the natural padding is gone and bone is rubbing on bone, plus the sides of the bones are so full of arthritis it isn't even funny. I'm going to have to have a total knee replacement. He said I can put it off for a little while. He told me the discomfort of the present state will determine how long I can put it off.

My hands? They're in worse shape and he's referring me to a very well-respected hand care center, Kleinert Kurtz, in Louisville, which is about 300 miles from here. They're about one of the best in the country and our doctor has great confidence in their skills and care.

My hands are going down faster than my knee so I think I'll address that issue first, plus Glenn was told today he needed a total knee replacement, too. His is probably in as bad shape as mine.

I can put up with it a while longer but Glenn's knee is throwing his whole skeletal system off and he's having back issues as a result. He had major back surgery three years ago and we don't want to undo any of that.

Lemme tell you...gettin' old ain't for sissies.
Katie,
I must have missed this one when I replied to your other post. I had a total knee replacement when I was almost 51. They didn't want to do it because I was "too young" but I finally found a doctor who would. I was also bone on bone, nothing holding it in place and full of arthritis. I had complications but it had NOTHING to do with the surgery or the doctor - just an abnormality in me (creating internal scar tissue). I never regret having it done and if the doctors will do it, I suggest you and Glen go for it. It isn't really that bad a surgery.

I hope they can do something for your hands asap - I know that they are your life - writing, creating, cooking.

Just know my thoughts and prayers are with you both. :heart:

Last edited:
So sorry, Katie! Just don't both of you get your knees done at the same time...there's such a thing as too much sharing.

I can just see it.

Two gurneys outside the OR. Honey, you go first.
No dear, you go. Your knees are worse than mine.
No dear. Ladies before gentlemen.

Would you two please make up your mind? I have a golf game scheduled at eleven! :wacko:

well, i'm on day four of no television. i haven't missed the programming so much, but at times the long stretches of silence have been deafening! so my daughter tells me about hulu. hulu. i guess i had some fuzzy notion of hulu being something like netflix, only it's not! i am totally in love with hulu! it's free (unless you need hulu plus, i guess) and so far, it's been so much better than most of the drivel i'd been accustomed to watching on tv every day. with hulu i get to pick not only the program but the time and the place--all for free! now i'm wondering, am i the only idiot out here who didn't know about hulu, and secondly, what other gem sites might i be missing out on? one thing is for sure. my tv viewing habits will undergo some radical adjustments when and if i get my basic tv cable working again. thank you, comcast, for disabling my tv sets on april 17th, 2012.... :)

well, i'm on day four of no television. i haven't missed the programming so much, but at times the long stretches of silence have been deafening! so my daughter tells me about hulu. hulu. i guess i had some fuzzy notion of hulu being something like netflix, only it's not! i am totally in love with hulu! it's free (unless you need hulu plus, i guess) and so far, it's been so much better than most of the drivel i'd been accustomed to watching on tv every day. with hulu i get to pick not only the program but the time and the place--all for free! now i'm wondering, am i the only idiot out here who didn't know about hulu, and secondly, what other gem sites might i be missing out on? one thing is for sure. my tv viewing habits will undergo some radical adjustments when and if i get my basic tv cable working again. thank you, comcast, for disabling my tv sets on april 17th, 2012.... :)
We aren't even as fancy as Hulu. :LOL: DH just downloads anything I want to see if I can't find it (usually). The cable company cut us off for being late with a payment. That was several years ago and I have no desire to get cable back.

The stupid cable companies should realize how much less we need cable now. If you try to get Comcast to send you the boxes (for free) to convert the signal from digital to something your TV(s) can decode and they give you any grief, tell them how much less you need them now because of Hulu. If it were me, I would even thank them for the nudging me to try Hulu. :whistling

...tell them how much less you need them now because of Hulu. If it were me, I would even thank them for the nudging me to try Hulu. :whistling

Of course, you don't want to flip off Comcast because they provide the internet service over which one would receive Hulu...

Reading my Penzey's catalog...they have a recipe for Blueberry Cardamom Ice Cream...

Went to the Penzy's store the other day. They have me hooked on some of their products, and my spice cabinet is slowly transforming to Penzy's, since whenever I need anything spice related, I have an excuse to go there!

The staff there is so darned nice, they gave me a free bottle of one of their new seasonings even though I forgot the coupon from the catalog.

After thinking about it for a while, we dropped cable a year and a half ago. We now get our TV from Hulu, Netflix, and an antenna in the attic. I have a computer dedicated to the TV, that also acts as a DVR, and it is all controlled from there. Of course I am a bit of a technology geek so this was easier for me to setup for myself, but we really don't miss cable at all.

In addition to Hulu, you can go to a lot of TV station websites and see episodes of shows, even some of the cable networks do this. TV Land usually has the last 2-3 episodes of their shows that can be watched online, HGTV has some too. Sometimes it takes a little digging to find them on the website.

I've been watching my cat fight with his back legs for about 10 minutes or so.

Cats act all superior, then they start doing things like this and lose all credibility...

After thinking about it for a while, we dropped cable a year and a half ago. We now get our TV from Hulu, Netflix, and an antenna in the attic. I have a computer dedicated to the TV, that also acts as a DVR, and it is all controlled from there. Of course I am a bit of a technology geek so this was easier for me to setup for myself, but we really don't miss cable at all.

In addition to Hulu, you can go to a lot of TV station websites and see episodes of shows, even some of the cable networks do this. TV Land usually has the last 2-3 episodes of their shows that can be watched online, HGTV has some too. Sometimes it takes a little digging to find them on the website.
That's what we do. But, DH is the techno-wiz at our house. We keep meaning to hook up the antenna, but don't have the motivation. :LOL:

We used to have a TV hooked up to an old computer running Linux, that is our video server. I had an oops an blew the TV. One of these days we'll get the one hooked up that way again.

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. I don't know who the USAian internet providers are. I use a phone company.

Cable companies in the US often provide the best internet speeds. You can get internet from the phone company too. I have had both and currently have internet from my phone company which was actually a faster connection than the cable company had to offer at the time (at&t Uverse). We also have companies that do wireless internet for the home and that is usually a slower, more basic connection.

Doing some hydrating after planting some red Pentas, hoping to attract some butterflies to the yard. I'm drinking up last year's bottled water - need to get a new fresh supply as I begin gathering up this year's hurricane supplies. How can it possibly have been a year already?!? :ohmy:

They came and got the car. They didn't have one they could lend me. They think the stalling problem is some sort of contamination in the fuel system. I hope they can find the problem. I would really like to keep this car.
They are changing the gas tank. They are also fixing the parking brake, which was hardly working.

Baked a rye bread and cooking corned beef for tonight's meal.

Attachments

• 0420121316a.jpg
    0420121316a.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 142
I should have been dressed and out the door about an hour ago to run errands, but here I am...

I was out the door early this morning. Took a friend with me as my caretaker. We had a great time. When we got back ,she bought two Reuben sandwiches.
Hooray!!! I ate a whole half. I will try to eat the other half tonight. If not, there is always tomorrow. We really had a good time. It has been a while since she has been out of her house also. Must do this again real soon.

I really like this mall I go to. It is an outside mall. No place for teengers to hang around. It is still in the building process. I hope they open a restaurant real soon though. It would have been nice to go and sit there to eat. :)

What I am I doing? I'll tell you since you asked. I am in the process of calming down. You see if there is one thing I admire the most in someone, it is having intelligence and putting it to good use. But when you play dumb for the sake of just getting attention or wanting your fifteen minutes of fame, then I have loast all patience with you. I would rather deal with some one who is mentally challenged or an Alzheimer patient. They have a valid reason for being the way they are.

I can now state that I am calm for the moment. Who knows how long it will last. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom