"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #13431
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I agree. I like it plain with ice.
+1. Good stuff. We have a friend who drinks it with Coke, a minor travesty. But it sounds better than maple-flavored Crown.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #13432
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My experience with maple flavored Crown Royal was bad. I was down at our friendly neighborhood motorcycle club when one of the guys said, "Hoot, try this...." I looked at the bottle which was the same familiar shape that we have come to know and love...albeit, a tick over priced. (IMHO). It seemed interesting with the brown background of the label. But upon opening it and taking a preliminary whiff...it smelled of cheap Old Cabin Maple syrup. I tried a shot and, well ...let's just say that I was not impressed..not even a little. Mind you, this is just my humble opinion, but I can not and will not lay out the money they are asking for this concoction. I wish them well in this venture, but it is ill advised. It is mighty hard to improve on the original.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #13433
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Just turned the heat on. Well, actually about thirty minutes ago, before I took a shower. It's only 42 outside and the house needed the chill taken off the air...
We got down to 43 last night. I didn't want to come out from under the covers this morning. Each time the alarm went off my hand would sneak out, hit the "snooze" and dart right back under the warm covers with the rest of me from the nose on down. I did set the furnace switch to "on" but set the temp to 63. Dropped only to 66 in the house, now it's 69 after running the oven. It might kick on tonight because it's supposed to get a bit cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
... although the furnace has kicked on 3-4 times already and it's only set to 70....
70??? Wuss. That's usually our top temperature for the dead of winter with a nor'easter' wailing away outside. Must be because Himself and I are from hot-blooded Slavic nationalities!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #13434
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
....I decided on a reverse martini (5 parts dry vermouth, 1 part gin, a splash of lemon, an ice cube, and some green olives).
Those olives look like the best part to me. Never liked a martini no matter which way I tried it. As far as gin goes, I could just chew on a juniper spring from my garden and get the same effect for free.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #13435
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We went from temps in the 90‘s to freezing our butts off here too. I had to laugh, the wedding and reception we attended out East was held at a working farm, with a big tent and no heat. Thank goodness the men were all wearing suits, because all us wives and girlfriends sure needed those suit jackets! It was freezing! We could see our breath. We all marched around in our little dresses, with our SO's jackets on, quite fashionable. DH and I are somewhat similar in size, I saw many other women wearing them whose SO's jackets weren't quite as well-fitted, some reached their knees. Lots of very cold jacketless men.

I'm still recooperating. Much travel and merriment, and then back to work.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #13436
Master Chef

*phew* Finally able to breathe again. The last two innings of my ballgame were really...exciting. We won!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #13437
Chef Extraordinaire

The "plot" thickens...
My hornets' nest needed another dose of dust, which I did a couple days ago. I looked at it this morning and whadaya know, part of their honeycomb was outside the nest along with a tidy little fresh pile of some animal's scat.
When I looked in on the nest a few days ago I wondered where all the dead hornets had gone that were laying outside the hole. I thought maybe the living hornts moved them off somewhere, but now I they were eaten and whatever it was went into the nest (now that they were all dead) and ate the larvae, too.
Interesting. I wonder what would do that? I know I have a mink out back, so who knows. Maybe he comes up by the house.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #13438
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I know that skunks will dig up a nest and eat the larvae, I reckon a mink would too.
Oughta be some tracks nearby.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #13439
Chef Extraordinaire

The nest isn't really dug up, Hoot. Maybe the mouth of their tunnel is larger, but just maybe. Nothing looks disturbed. And no tracks because it's in an area I have red bark in.
And my mistake, there are still some stragglers using the nest, but they must be so preoccupied with putting things back together they are ignoring me now, even though I'm right on top of them. Before they would go out of their way to let me know there was a nest nearby.
I have no idea how far back in it goes, but perhaps I ought to dump some soapy water in there. I'm just not sure if soapy water will kill my shrub. I know it won't harm grass, but something is telling me it will weeds, including some shrubs.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #13440
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Actually, Pac, soapy water can be used to knock off aphids and spider mites from all sorts of plants and shrubs, it shouldn't hurt it as long as it's not too strong.