"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #13441
Honey Badger

Waiting patiently. Ever so quietly to pounce on the mailman. Shhhhh.
Had to have those cast iron skillets. They should be here this morning.

Munky.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #13442
Chef Extraordinaire

Not a happy morning in this house or family. My daughter saw her oncologist and the news is .....

She has to stay on the chemo for another year. The tumor has shrunk, but not as much as they had hoped for. The chemo is so debilitating. I need a corner to go cry in.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #13443
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Actually, Pac, soapy water can be used to knock off aphids and spider mites from all sorts of plants and shrubs, it shouldn't hurt it as long as it's not too strong.
Really. When I was researching foliage killer (Credit, Cornerstone or one of them) and exposure to dogs' feet the company I called told me it was basically soapy water
They told me to wait until it dried and I'd be fine. And I have been in that regard, but I always thought that meant soapy water was bad for weedy things.

I think I'll do some Googling. Obviously the dust is not getting into all the nooks and crannies. I think about 3 gal of soapy water dumped in should do the trick. I guess either way the shrub wasn't that expensive.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #13444
Chef Extraordinaire

son-of-a-gun. Look like I'll be giving the leftover hornets a bubble bath later tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks Dawg.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #13445
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Really. When I was researching foliage killer (Credit, Cornerstone or one of them)...

I was talking to the condo association's landscape contractor about Roundup and the home versions that include soap and salt. He said the key ingredient in the mix is salt. The soapy water is there to get the mixture to cling to the foliage so it can do its work.

I vaguely remember a conservation tip where you can use dishwater to water your garden to save fresh water...

All that said, I'm not responsible if your bush dies. I'll just blame the damage to the roots from the bees.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #13446
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Really. When I was researching foliage killer (Credit, Cornerstone or one of them) and exposure to dogs' feet the company I called told me it was basically soapy water
They told me to wait until it dried and I'd be fine. And I have been in that regard, but I always thought that meant soapy water was bad for weedy things.

I think I'll do some Googling. Obviously the dust is not getting into all the nooks and crannies. I think about 3 gal of soapy water dumped in should do the trick. I guess either way the shrub wasn't that expensive.
My mother always threw the dishwashing water out the back door on the little garden we had right there. Those plants grew like mad. I don't know if it was the soap, warm water, or all the little pieces of food that composted. The plants closest to the door always were bigger than the rest of the little patch. I remember the radishes most. Those things were almost baseball size. the other end of the rows, very small.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #13447
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
son-of-a-gun. Look like I'll be giving the leftover hornets a bubble bath later tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks Dawg.
Good one Pac.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #13448
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
You're welcome, Pac!

Yeah, Roundup came to my mind too. I think the salt collapses the plant cells or something like that. A friend's son, who was in school to be a landscaper, pointed out you could drink Roundup, though I wouldn't.

Along with dishwater, some save washing machine water and bath water to water their plants. It's called gray water.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #13449
Chef Extraordinaire

Salt, huh? Apparently the herbicide people were keep their "secret ingredient" from me
Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #13450
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Glyphosate is the salt in Roundup, I think.