What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am trying like heck to get these kinks out of my neck! Himself was just massaging my sore spots with his icy-cold fingers. :ermm: The kneading felt good, but the temperature was wrong! Thinking of heading up to my reading chair and cracking open my new read while I sit with the heating pad wrapped around my neck.

CG, for what it is worth, about 35 or so years ago, I got a kink in my neck that was really bad. I had to go to phys. therapy. The therapist placed a nice hot towel on my neck and it loosened right up. In fact I fell asleep. Before I left he taught me a trick that has served me well over the years. Place your chin on your chest as far up as you can get it. Well above your sternum. It helps to keep those neck muscles stretched so that they don't kink up ever again. I have had a couple of close calls. Mostly when I wake up in the morn. That simple little trick has kept my neck in good shape. Good luck and I hope your neck is better by tomorrow.

Thanks for that hint, Addie. I actually found something similar to that online last night. You stretch your head down and forward as far down the chest as you can, tuck your chin against your chest, then slowly roll up so that you end up with a ginormous double (triple?) chin. Did that about half a dozen times, then managed to fall asleep on my back when I went to bed. I tend to sleep on my side or tummy, so my neck is kinked one way or another. Last night it seems I stayed on my back for almost 4 hours...before I had to take a mid-sleep walk down the hall to the "library". :ermm: Cramp is almost gone today. I should be good tomorrow and feel ONLY my age and not a few years more. ;)

All this talk about marching and protesting, and a lot of venting on FB too, got me to thinking. My Mom always said charity begins at home. Well, kudos to you heading to DC to march. However, for the last month I have been exploring volunteer opportunities in my area. I helped with a women's' shelter when we lived back home, but it seems they are few and far between here. The one almost close enough to help at (nearly 20 miles, one way) doesn't need volunteers at this time. The rotating families' sheltering program that I helped with at our parish when we first moved here has disbanded. Geez, it's not like there aren't women in crisis around here! However, I don't have the energy or connections to get one going.

I've finally narrowed down where to help to one of two places: some sort of volunteer opportunity with a nearby hospital, or as a literacy volunteer working with the program in our area libraries. Just so long as it's more of a sit-down volunteer job than a walking-around one. I quit my stint at the town library when my ankles would kill me and my feet were sore when I volunteered there. Anyway, I've decided it's time again for me to light my one little candle and shed some light on those near me who need help.

Good for you, CG! Our local schools here are always in need for volunteers to help read with the kids. The Humane Society can always use volunteers too.

The search for my long underwear from Costco is driving me nuts. It's the silkiest, most lightweight long underwear you've ever seen. Guess I'll have to take my Walmart waffle long underwear. This annoys me greatly.

Hair is washed, things that needed to be shaved are shaved, now I need to pack. I'm still annoyed about not being able to locate my long underwear.

Thanks for that hint, Addie. I actually found something similar to that online last night. You stretch your head down and forward as far down the chest as you can, tuck your chin against your chest, then slowly roll up so that you end up with a ginormous double (triple?) chin. Did that about half a dozen times, then managed to fall asleep on my back when I went to bed. I tend to sleep on my side or tummy, so my neck is kinked one way or another. Last night it seems I stayed on my back for almost 4 hours...before I had to take a mid-sleep walk down the hall to the "library". :ermm: Cramp is almost gone today. I should be good tomorrow and feel ONLY my age and not a few years more. ;)

All this talk about marching and protesting, and a lot of venting on FB too, got me to thinking. My Mom always said charity begins at home. Well, kudos to you heading to DC to march. However, for the last month I have been exploring volunteer opportunities in my area. I helped with a women's' shelter when we lived back home, but it seems they are few and far between here. The one almost close enough to help at (nearly 20 miles, one way) doesn't need volunteers at this time. The rotating families' sheltering program that I helped with at our parish when we first moved here has disbanded. Geez, it's not like there aren't women in crisis around here! However, I don't have the energy or connections to get one going.

I've finally narrowed down where to help to one of two places: some sort of volunteer opportunity with a nearby hospital, or as a literacy volunteer working with the program in our area libraries. Just so long as it's more of a sit-down volunteer job than a walking-around one. I quit my stint at the town library when my ankles would kill me and my feet were sore when I volunteered there. Anyway, I've decided it's time again for me to light my one little candle and shed some light on those near me who need help.

Glad to hear the good news about your neck. Have you tried to put a hot towel or other item around your neck yet? I have a tube like thing that is filled with rice or some other filling. I put it in the micro to heat it up and around my neck it goes. Feels like someone has just wrapped my neck in $1M cash. It cost me the grand sum of $5.00. I have had to toss it in the washer a couple of times. Well worth the money I spend for it.

Gotta pack. Wash hair, shave stuff. Cash checks for money.

Onward to DC, my sisters! DH and baby bro have been mansplaining all sorts of things. Gee whiz. How did I ever get to this age without you? Men. Humpf.
They care about you and will be worried. I don't blame them with all these riots.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to get some GF baking done but I am exhausted. Me thinks my chest infection is back with a vengeance. So the baking may have to wait.

I was watching this womens march on tv. Just because there are some of our own there. I guess I'm still confused as to what they want. Some odd costumes were worn. Gotta give them credit for creativity. Apparently the environment is not something they care about.

fc0255b2a68fb62a7ec114c798bde891.jpg

I just wonder where all these people stayed and where did they use the bathroom? Big boom to the local economy. I bet all the local food vendors made money like crazy.

I'm anxious to see what the girls have to say about everything when they get back.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching this womens march on tv. Just because there are some of our own there. I guess I'm still confused as to what they want. Some odd costumes were worn. Gotta give them credit for creativity. Apparently the environment is not something they care about.

fc0255b2a68fb62a7ec114c798bde891.jpg

I just wonder where all these people stayed and where did they use the bathroom? Big boom to the local economy. I bet all the local food vendors made money like crazy.

I'm anxious to see what the girls have to say about everything when they get back.

I went to a local March for Women - Sister March yesterday and several of my friends and family members went to DC or other local marches.

I could write an essay on what happened and why, but it will have to be later. DH is anxious to get out the door. Be back later.

P. S. The story can certainly be slanted by the choice of photos and signs to showcase. Don't believe everything you see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, GG!

My friend and I went to the Women's March in DC. Never seen such a crowd of more peaceful people! No riots, and about a third of the marchers were men. Lots of pics were taken of our glorious sign.

My brother's wife went to the March in St. Paul, MN. There was one arrest, a counter-protester who was pepper spraying women.

Fran and I are both severely directionally disabled, apparently a lot of other people are as well. Took us forever to find the Metro station, and everyone we asked didn't seem to know either. We eventially got back to our motel, and I've never seen such a crowded train! Every stop we made, the people on the train shouted,"No more room!" You'd need a shoehorn to fit any more.

But what an incredible experience!

All this talk about marching and protesting, and a lot of venting on FB too, got me to thinking. My Mom always said charity begins at home. Well, kudos to you heading to DC to march. However...

It doesn't have to be either/or. Quite a few of the people I know who went already volunteer in some way in their communities. You already know about my activities. My friend volunteers at her daughter's school, another for the neighborhood Civic League and Girl Scouts, another for her church youth group, another for her Jewish synagogue, another for restoration of a polluted river, several for the League of Women Voters, etc. It's not uncommon, in my experience.

Watching riots on tv. I don't think you could pay me enough to go to DC right now.

There were no riots. In one section of D.C. (have you ever been there? It's very large), a group of anarchists who take advantage of events like this to cause damage and advance their own agenda, get a lot of press because that's what the media is drawn to. The women's march was entirely peaceful.

I know that, GG. I guess I just got tired of the subject. A little too much quasi-political talk for our non-political cooking forum. I see and read plenty of it from both groups of my friends on Facebook...and mostly keep my mouth shut. Mostly because no matter what I say, I annoy one side or the other. :LOL:

Thank you, CG. Kudos to you for the volunteering.

And thanks to the mod or admin that edited Jon's pics.

Posting something like that would have meant a brow beating and maybe a warning in the old days of DC.

Last edited:
Spent 5 hours helping restore a 1941 23 ton GE switch engine that was donated to our railroad society. What a mess! It sat up in the Bay Area, and was full of mud dauber nests and all kinds of other crap. We ended up pulling out all the floorboards as they were waterlogged. But it was a start

I am living in a state of confusion. I got a message from the hospital letting me know that my appointment for Feb. 7th has been changed to March 31st. Not at all happy about that, but there is nothing I can do about it. So I call Winthrop so they can mark their calendar for transportation. I get the new girl. She thinks I am going down to the clinic here in Eastie. So she makes an appointment in her computer to provide the van on that date to down the square. With some doctor I have never heard of. Two appointments at the same time on the same day wiyh two different doctors. Now I have to straighten that mess out.

Back
Top Bottom