"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #13741
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Kluski noodles aren't all potato based. They are also a thicker flour based noodle, also using egg, and hold up really well in soups.
Okay fine! I give up!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #13742
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Came home from the pool, closed due to the lightening. It's overcast & the air feels thick. A lot of lightening but no rain.
I love weather like that! (Don't really get a lot of it here though).

Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #13743
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
What noodles??? I am worn out from Googling!

Anyway, back to pierogies.... at least they have something other than the dumpling and the potatoes... there is, (according to Wiki), meat or cheese or fruit in there too...

Now, I am going to look up Kluski noodles.... *trudges back to Google*

Update: Kluski "noodles" aren't "noodles" at all! They are made out of potato! (Sound nice though). :-)
I don't know if this works with other browser, but it works with FireFox and I think it works with Chrome. Just highlight the term and right click. A menu pops up that includes "Search Google for _______". It pops the search into a new tab.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #13744
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know if this works with other browser, but it works with FireFox and I think it works with Chrome. Just highlight the term and right click. A menu pops up that includes "Search Google for _______". It pops the search into a new tab.
I have that in my Google toolbar (which Firefox doesn't allow, but IE does). I'm just not sure if the same answers pop up if you are in a different Internet zone (UK, AU...).
From what I read Eastern European kluski noodles are potato based, whereas the ones I mentioned are not.
Pasta can be tricky for sure, which some of us are learning.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #13745
Head Chef

Quote:
Hm, I won't lie, I was a tad sceptical there TL! But I just tried it and when I highlighted and right-clicked, I got an option to "search Bing". Clicking on that brought up the details! Very cool!

Now, all I have to do is remember to do that!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #13746
Head Chef

Quote:
Quote:
I have that in my Google toolbar (which Firefox doesn't allow, but IE does). I'm just not sure if the same answers pop up if you are in a different Internet zone (UK, AU...).
From what I read Eastern European kluski noodles are potato based, whereas the ones I mentioned are not.
Pasta can be tricky for sure, which some of us are learning.
I think it is fair to say that as a UK user, my search results are not the same as yours Pac. Google skews results depending on where you are I think?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #13747
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think it is fair to say that as a UK user, my search results are not the same as yours Pac. Google skews results depending on where you are I think?
Oh, most definitely.
That's why it was a bit off/odd a while back to hear some members saying this was an international forum. You might be able to find it internationally, but it is based here in the USA. And the things we talk about, including foods, dates and time, reflect so. As they say, When in Rome...
I've hung out at other forums where I had to do the same, search Google because I didn't understand something yet everyone else was on the same page.
It's good to learn IMO.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #13748
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Hm, I won't lie, I was a tad sceptical there TL! But I just tried it and when I highlighted and right-clicked, I got an option to "search Bing". Clicking on that brought up the details! Very cool!

Now, all I have to do is remember to do that!
I have a search window near the top of my browser. I can choose among many search engines. It searches whichever one I have selected at the moment. I often use it to search Wikipedia. If you are using FF, you can customize which search engines it shows.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #13749
Head Chef

Quote:
Oh, most definitely.
That's why it was a bit off/odd a while back to hear some members saying this was an international forum. You might be able to find it internationally, but it is based here in the USA. And the things we talk about, including foods, dates and time, reflect so. As they say, When in Rome...
I've hung out at other forums where I had to do the same, search Google because I didn't understand something yet everyone else was on the same page.
It's good to learn IMO.
I always accept that when a forum is from a specific place, you are an "outsider". I have been on American forums for a good few years now (they tend to be more "active" I find.)

Personally, I love finding out about cultural differences and food seems to be a truly excellent way of doing that!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #13750
Chef Extraordinaire

It certainly does, Katy.
I still remember my receiving Tim Tams in place of Heinz Ketchup. Worked for me. I was growing tired of hearing how good Tim Tams were, but not being able to get any. I never did get the hang of using them as a straw though.