"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #13751
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It certainly does, Katy.
I still remember my receiving Tim Tams in place of Heinz Ketchup. Worked for me. I was growing tired of hearing how good Tim Tams were, but not being able to get any. I never did get the hang of using them as a straw though.
Well, I had no idea what Tim Tams were so I utilised TL's method and ..... they are biscuits. They are not Ketchup... or straws... I guess I am missing something?

TL, that is definitely a swifter way of looking things up! I hope I remember it tomorrow! (Seriously, feel free to remind me!)

Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #13752
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Came home from the pool, closed due to the lightening. It's overcast & the air feels thick. A lot of lightening but no rain.
Our pool is an indoor one and is closed due to the Fed. shutdown. It is Federally funded. But run by the City. Go figure.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #13753
Chef Extraordinaire

As most of you who remember their American History, The Salem Witch Trials happened up on the North Shore here. Unless this Fed. shutdown ends in time, there will be no Halloween in Salem this year. This is the biggest tourist attraction for this small city. There are several other sites that are also maintained by the Parks Dept. and are registered Historical Sites in this city. They too are closed. Along with the beaches along the lower Cape. The Freedom Trail, and anything having to do with the Revolutionary War. All run by the Federal Parks Dept. I hope this all ends soon.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #13754
Master Chef

Quote:
Chicken noodle soup with egg noodles?!
Everyone knows you use kluski noodles
Pac, these are as scarce as hen's teeth up here:
When we visit the kids in OH we are sure to stock up on them or similar noodles. Nothing better in soup!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #13755
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As most of you who remember their American History, The Salem Witch Trials happened up on the North Shore here. Unless this Fed. shutdown ends in time, there will be no Halloween in Salem this year. This is the biggest tourist attraction for this small city. There are several other sites that are also maintained by the Parks Dept. and are registered Historical Sites in this city. They too are closed. Along with the beaches along the lower Cape. The Freedom Trail, and anything having to do with the Revolutionary War. All run by the Federal Parks Dept. I hope this all ends soon.
Don't worry Addie, Salem will have Halloween. The bars are not run by the federal government. There are private tourist sites that will be open. The shops are privately owned. The tourists will come. As you can see by this article there are just a couple sites affected by the shutdown - and the city is handling getting info to the tourists. It's all good. I just hope my SIL and her husband weren't planning on seeing any parks out west - they flew out to CO last Friday. Oops!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #13756
Master Chef

I'm catching up here at DC after a fun day. We did a Penzeys Pilgrimage ($48 and my list was long! so "not bad") and got some fresh-pressed apple cider. I want to brine some thick boneless pork chops for the grill. Not too much salt, some fresh sage, and maybe a bit of cinnamon. We'll see what smells good when I get around to dunking them. And then there was the 2-hour call with our daughter - an hour for each parent. Finally, my baseball season came to an end this evening. That's OK, Cleveland sports fans have a mantra: Wait Till Next Year. Still waiting...
Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #13757
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've always thought pierogies filled with mashed potatoes sounded odd, too. Btw, I've never heard of chicken noodle soup with potatoes.
Me too! I only use one starch in a dish.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #13758
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Well, I had no idea what Tim Tams were so I utilised TL's method and ..... they are biscuits. They are not Ketchup... or straws... I guess I am missing something?

TL, that is definitely a swifter way of looking things up! I hope I remember it tomorrow! (Seriously, feel free to remind me!)
I was agreeing with you that forums are a great way to learn about foods you would not hear about otherwise.
Long ago I did a mail exchange with someone in Australia. I sent them Heinz ketchup, which they said they could not get, and they sent me Tim Tams, which could not be gotten here at the time.
This exchange was due to them and other Aussies mentioning Tim Tams now and then and us Americans talking about our ketchup, which I believe they call tomato sauce. Of course now you can pretty much buy anything on Amazon.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #13759
Master Chef

Quote:
I was agreeing with you that forums are a great way to learn about foods you would not hear about otherwise.
Long ago I did a mail exchange with someone in Australia. I sent them Heinz ketchup, which they said they could not get, and they sent me Tim Tams, which could not be gotten here at the time.
This exchange was due to them and other Aussies mentioning Tim Tams now and then and us Americans talking about our ketchup, which I believe they call tomato sauce. Of course now you can pretty much buy anything on Amazon.
Next time you go to Wegman's look for Tim Tams in the International Food section or the cookie cracker aisle. Some of the bigger stores have them.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #13760
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Bea, I will.