"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #13761
Executive Chef

I need to get to the store but I am waiting for this nasty thunderstorm to pass.

I would be the one putting groceries in my car and get zapped by a lightning bolt

I should have gone yesterday .. this will teach me to procrastinate !!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #13762
Chef Extraordinaire

Just don't buy any aluminum foil, you should be OK

Old 10-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #13763
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Just don't buy any aluminum foil, you should be OK
thanks for thinking of me
Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #13764
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
thanks for thinking of me
I know you would do the same
Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #13765
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
.... I should have gone yesterday .. this will teach me to procrastinate !!
Sometimes I procrastinate (I am a PRO at it ) and then I'm sorry too. That happened when we lost power for almost 3 days three years ago. Almost put off my shower before going to bed on Monday night, figuring I could do it when I got up. Ended up showering anyway. Well when I got up yesterday and flushed the sound was "glug-glug----glug". Oh yeah, no water when I take the lid off the tank. Left the lid off. NO Water? Nope. Just a dribble from the faucet. We do have low water pressure but this was nuts. Went downstairs, first looking out the front door - nope, no little river down the front lawn and into the street. Go down the basement - dry floor. Hmm, turn the faucet on down there - and had enough so I could wash my hands in the utility tub. Back to the first floor, pop a stick of Trident cinnamon in my mouth (I call it my on-the-road toothbrush for when I fall asleep while Himself is driving) and call the town. Clerk connects me to the water department. THAT clerk tells me one of the department guys is on his way to my house to check things out. Just then I could hear the tank filling, but she said the guy would still come by. He explains that they were doing an internal line purge to clean sediment out - that they were closing down and then reopening the "gates" to shut off and then open up the flow of water to the different zones. Hmm, with my luck our gate would have been shut off just as I got the last of the soap all over. Never procrastinate again? Nah, I'll probably still stall...

Like today. Should have shopped. Moped instead. Now I have to figure out a supper...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #13766
Chef Extraordinaire

Not really what I'm doing, but an update to a previous conversation here.

Yesterday my buddy next door came over and as he looked at my yard he commented that the skunks were digging in my yard, too. I really didn't know what it was that had been taking small chunks of my yard out in patches, like a giant aerator. I was not thrilled to find out it was a skunk.
So this morning, about 5:00, I walk outside and there shuffling off ahead of me is the perp, a skunk Fortunately he was beating a hasty retreat.
Sooo, I went online and look up skunk scat and sure enough, the critter who had left his calling card by that hornets nest, ate the dead hornets and managed to get out some of the honeycomb out was indeed a skunk.

Not cool to have a skunk visiting the house this close on a regular basis
Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #13767
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Not really what I'm doing, but an update to a previous conversation here.

Yesterday my buddy next door came over and as he looked at my yard he commented that the skunks were digging in my yard, too. I really didn't know what it was that had been taking small chunks of my yard out in patches, like a giant aerator. I was not thrilled to find out it was a skunk.
So this morning, about 5:00, I walk outside and there shuffling off ahead of me is the perp, a skunk Fortunately he was beating a hasty retreat.
Sooo, I went online and look up skunk scat and sure enough, the critter who had left his calling card by that hornets nest, ate the dead hornets and managed to get out some of the honeycomb out was indeed a skunk.

Not cool to have a skunk visiting the house this close on a regular basis
The skunk is probably after grubs in the lawn.

Skunks are pretty laid back unless you or the dogs startle them.

Better pick up a couple gallons of tomato juice in case the dogs need a bath!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #13768
Chef Extraordinaire

That's what I'm afraid of, Bea. That one morning he might get "startled" and not run off. I have no idea how close I actually got to him this morning.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #13769
Sous Chef

What has also worked for me is boiling one chopped yellow onion, one chopped jalapeno pepper and one tablespoon of cayenne pepper in two quarts of water for 20 minutes. When the broth is done, strain the liquid and pour the it into a spray bottle, then squirt it all around the border of your yard.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #13770
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Skunks generally will mind their own business....however, if threatened they can make a real stink of things. The biggest danger is rabies. I recommend seeking the advice of your local game officers or perhaps a pest removal service.
On a side note, Skunk is one of the few critters that are not on the menu at Casa de Hoot.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote