What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, Farmer Jon said "College". Not College's.
He also said "We" meaning he's going to.

Reading Farmer Jon's posts I'm wondering why you asked him if he's going to be a "Temporary stay at home Dad?" Far from it in my own humbled opinion.
Do you have issues with stay at hone Dad's as well?

I did read his post. In this part of the country, most high school children apply for entrance to more than one college starting in April or May. How many acceptance letters they get back can vary. So why would the rules change just because of the location of the family?

Jon stated that his "wife, her cousin and her aunt" were going to sort things out. Since those three are family members and are related to the confined relative, what would be the purpose of Jon going? Remember, they have a small child at home. Are they going to pay to have someone care for the home and child while both parents are absent?

I have nothing against stay-at home fathers. I think it is great that any man take the time to learn about their child. Specially when they are small. The little ones are the most fun.

I did read his post. In this part of the country, most high school children apply for entrance to more than one college starting in April or May. How many acceptance letters they get back can vary. So why would the rules change just because of the location of the family?

Jon stated that his "wife, her cousin and her aunt" were going to sort things out. Since those three are family members and are related to the confined relative, what would be the purpose of Jon going? Remember, they have a small child at home. Are they going to pay to have someone care for the home and child while both parents are absent?

I have nothing against stay-at home fathers. I think it is great that any man take the time to learn about their child. Specially when they are small. The little ones are the most fun.

Umm....Addie. Maybe Jon would like to be involved in the selection process of his son's college? Also, the trip to check out college(s) and the Ohio trip are separate. Plus, how they arrange to make the trips and whether or not they pay to have someone in the home while they're gone is really none of your business. (btw, they have more than one small child at home...)

Addie, earlier in that post Jon said "Next week WE have to go to Ohio". Sounds like a family road trip to me! It's possible their schools have a week long break at that time.

Farmer Jon, what part of Ohio are you going to? We moved from one county south of Cleveland in 2000, but still consider Ohio "home". Our kids still live there. He's in Akron, she's near Canton. Miss them both dearly...

All kinds of stuff going on. Taking my boy on a collage visit today. Finished up my smoker yesterday. Well not completely done but its usable and I work the bugs out. A good friend of mine had both legs amputated due to diabetes. I got a couple guys together to build him a wheel chair ramp. Next week we have to go to Ohio. My wifes aunt is in a nursing home and has to sell the house. She didnt have any children its up to my wife and her cousin and other aunt to do everything. This should be fun. She was a horder. At one time she had a lot of money so we have to sort throuh and determin what is high end stuff and whats dime store junk.

Jon...I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It's wonderful that you've arranged the help to build him a wheelchair ramp. He's lucky to have you as a friend. :wub:

Will be thinking of you and your family as you deal with the cleanup and sale of your wife's aunt's home. That's a rough one. Best wishes to you for a safe trip.

High school students typically visit colleges *before* applying to help them decide which schools they want to apply to.

Well, I'm family-ed out. Just got home from PA. Too many old people and little kids, along with a crazy BIL. DH's parents have been married since dinosaurs walked the earth, and there was a major celebration.

We had an interesting flight on the last leg of the trip. I've never heard flight attendants and pilots screaming "Get off the plane as quickly as you can! Leave your luggage!" I got half of my hair washed on the flight bridge. Tornadoes in the area. They made us stay in the restroom area after we all got half of our hair washed.

Too dark to see what the damage is, but a bunch of evergreen branches were lining our driveway when we finally pulled in. Our neighbor did tell us our house was still standing. It is.

:ohmy::ohmy: How terrifying! I hope by the time daylight arrived that you didn't find too much damage. Glad you and everyone on the flight are OK!

:ohmy::ohmy: How terrifying! I hope by the time daylight arrived that you didn't find too much damage. Glad you and everyone on the flight are OK!

Thanks, Cheryl. Our little town had a lot of tornado damage! Not too far away from us. Some houses destroyed, a chimney fell into a church and destroyed the biggest pipe organ in the state. Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

DH insisted on driving home from the airport, (I'd suggested staying over in a hotel) but by then the tornado had passed and it was just raining.

Thanks, Cheryl. Our little town had a lot of tornado damage! Not too far away from us. Some houses destroyed, a chimney fell into a church and destroyed the biggest pipe organ in the state. Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

DH insisted on driving home from the airport, (I'd suggested staying over in a hotel) but by then the tornado had passed and it was just raining.

My first thought was why in the world they landed in that. One time when DD was under 1, we flew to Chicago because my then husband was there for a while working. We arrived in the middle of a bad storm and could actually see tornadoes off in the distance. We had to circle at high altitude for nearly an hour after our arrival waiting for the storm to move on and/or wear itself out.

My first thought was why in the world they landed in that. One time when DD was under 1, we flew to Chicago because my then husband was there for a while working. We arrived in the middle of a bad storm and could actually see tornadoes off in the distance. We had to circle at high altitude for nearly an hour after our arrival waiting for the storm to move on and/or wear itself out.

Our pilot was amazing. The tornadic conditions apparently hit shortly after we landed. We live 35 minutes away from the airport. He and the crew got a standing ovation after they let us out of the restrooms.

It was kind of funny, lots of men in the lady's room.

Last edited:
I'm just sitting here contemplating how mountains get made from mole hills on the internet. :ermm:

CD

Our pilot was amazing. The tornadic conditions apparently hit shortly after we landed. We live 35 minutes away from the airport. He and the crew got a standing ovation after they let us out of the restrooms.

It was kind of funny, lots of men in the lady's room.

Glad you are okay! Sounds like timing worked in your favor.

Funny coincidence... last year I was driving from Dallas to Houston and encountered a storm. A small (maybe an F1, but just barely) tornado crossed I-45 and just missed me in my car. The coincidence is that I was driving to Houston to celebrate my parent's 60th anniversary.

Something to consider if you are invited to an anniversary party for old couples. They seem to draw tornadoes. :huh:

CD

Glad you are okay! Sounds like timing worked in your favor.

Funny coincidence... last year I was driving from Dallas to Houston and encountered a storm. A small (maybe an F1, but just barely) tornado crossed I-45 and just missed me in my car. The coincidence is that I was driving to Houston to celebrate my parent's 60th anniversary.

Something to consider if you are invited to an anniversary party for old couples. They seem to draw tornadoes. :huh:

CD

Thanks! You may be on to something, CD. DH's parents celebrated their 70th. Sharp as tacks. They take a lot of pills and FIL uses a cane, but they live independently and stumble around just fine.

Tornado was at home.

Thanks! You may be on to something, CD. DH's parents celebrated their 70th. Sharp as tacks. They take a lot of pills and FIL uses a cane, but they live independently and stumble around just fine.

Tornado was at home.

My little town of Mack, Ohio got hit by an F5 tornado on April 3, 1974. That date is etched in my mind. It missed our house (just some flying debris damage), but we came out of the basement to a totally different neighborhood.

As bad as that was, I photographed Bolivar Peninsula a few days after Hurricane Ike hit, and that made our F5 tornado look weak.

CD

Casey, I remember that! Up by us it was known as "The Xenia tornado". My SIL and her husband had just moved back to the Cleveland area the previous September, but they had been living in Kettering while he finished off his college at UD.

Tornadoes are less common up here, but there was a doozy in 2011. That was a hellacious year: Tornado on June 1st, carving a path of destruction through the central part of MA, staying on the ground for about 34 continuous miles, thankfully lifting up about 3 air-miles from our house. Hurricane Irene in August, partially taking down a huge (and huge-bill-to-remove) tree in our woods. October brought "Snolloween", with about 6 or 7 inches and a 63-hour power outage for us. And the worst personal "storm" of all - Himself getting laid off in November. Lousy year...

...We had an interesting flight on the last leg of the trip. I've never heard flight attendants and pilots screaming "Get off the plane as quickly as you can! Leave your luggage!" I got half of my hair washed on the flight bridge. Tornadoes in the area. They made us stay in the restroom area after we all got half of our hair washed...
Don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad you "Arrived Alive" in the words of previous Florida license plates. Such excitement you don't need when flying! I'm glad you guys got home fine and that your home is unscathed.

Casey, I remember that! Up by us it was known as "The Xenia tornado". My SIL and her husband had just moved back to the Cleveland area the previous September, but they had been living in Kettering while he finished off his college at UD.

Ours was the same day as the Xenia tornado, but was not the same one. Ours is called the Saylor Park tornado. They both happened at almost the same time. I believe that the Xenia tornado came just after the Saylor Park tornado.

The Xenia tornado hit Xenia dead on, and killed a lot of people, around 30, IIRC. The Saylor Park tornado killed 4 people, IIRC.

There were about 150 tornadoes that day from Ohio to Mississippi. 30 of them were F5 tornadoes. It is known as the tornado outbreak of 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOHkyM6CC-c

CD

Last edited:
We just went to one collage. He is already accepted. Its a trade school. The best in the state. He will be learning auto mechanics. I was impressed with everything. And a little jealous.
Yes I'm going with my wife to Ohio. I hope everything goes smooth. Her cousins hubby is a spoiled frat boy type that only cares about money and likes things done his way. A real A hole. They would sell and toss out everything. My wife is very sentimental and emotional. There are things she will hold on to for no apparent reason. And I'm a red neck that that don't care to speak my mind. Not my family not my place to say what should be done. But my wife knows I have her back. So might be interesting. I will have to bite my tongue some but should be fine. The jerk probably wont be there anyway. He don't like to get his hands dirty.

I am pissed off. I am still ill, we are still kidfree and we cant even cuddle , because my husband has to stay well. I am just pissed of, no cuddles, no fun no nothing.

I cant even cook.

I am trying to get everything in order in case my surgery goes through tomorrow. It is just a routine hernia repair; however, I am scheduled in a spot for any emergency surgeries so I can be bumped right up to last minute. I am scheduled for noon but could wait until as late as 6 pm. They are filling the spots with general surgeries so the OR's don't remain empty if nothing comes in. But it is a risk for me as I will then be placed behind people who have already been scheduled.

I am doing some house cleaning, baking and, meal prep to help TB while I recuperate over the weekend. He is off this week but goes back to work on Monday. I should be able to look after myself by then but will still not be able to do a lot of bending and no lifting.

I am treating myself to a haircut this afternoon seeing as I haven't been able to get out for months to have it done. :)

Bulding sides on the car trailer getting ready to go to Cincinnati to clean out my wifes aunts house. I don't know if we will bring anything home or not. Don't hurt to be prepared.
I Was going to go build a wheelchair ramp for a buddy of mine today but he found a company that helps low income people with that. So don't have to worry about that. I do have to reinforce his steps and install a hand railing. A carpenter friend of mine and I are going to go inspect it tomorrow and come up with a game plan for that.
I finally broke down and bought a tailgator for the camper. So we can have dish network anywhere we go. That's not camping you say? No kidding, I don't camp. I RV.

Back
Top Bottom