What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will have opportunities to travel in the future. Not sure how long she's with us. We'll enjoy it while she's here.

I've been at the kitchen sink puttering, but mostly watching the antics of our friendly squirrels. When I tossed a bunch of peanuts out, I was able to flush six of them from their nests! Decided I had nearly as good a view sitting at the kitchen table when my feet said "sit down!". :LOL:

I don't like squirrels. They try to chew their way into my attic. They never succeed, but they mess up my wood trim and the paint on the trim.

I like to get Teddy worked up, and send him out the door to chase them off. But, I gotta' admit, this invention has my attention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYLRLwphcs

CD :angel:

*snork* CASEY! *guffaw* That is SO funny mean! *giggle*

I have to admit they drive me nuts sometimes, too, but at least they leave the house alone. The wild beasts that annoy me the most are the blue jays. They are so mean. At least they are easily frightened...as in, if I'm standing quiet at the door or window and I move the least little bit, wham! they fly off. Then the smaller birds, like titmice, get a crack at the peanuts.

Sounds like a nice way to spend an evening, RR. :) Would love to see pics along the way if you care to share. :flowers:

I will post pics as soon as I get some wallpaper in. Yesterday I just got the wood painted and I still need to do some touch ups.

Do you mean Social Security disability? I've been on that for four years. Let me in on the secret of how I qualify for a chunk of change.

The way you qualify for a chunk of change is to apply for federal disability, have them take 5 years to make a decision, and live on state disability ($200/month) plus food stamps and subsidized housing in the meantime.

When the decision is finally made (if it's made in my favor), I should be getting the minimum monthly amount of federal disability back to the date I first applied. In theory, that should be about $700 for every month back to December of 2012.

BUT...the judge wants to make my disability valid as of Jan 2014 instead of 2012 when I first had my aneurysm. The lawyer then takes a cut of 25% (for basically doing nothing as far as I can tell) and then the state gets paid back for its contribution of disability for all that time, which is fair. So the amount isn't as much as you'd think it would be.

As it is, I think I'll get back something that might buy a good used car, but no more than that. We'll see.

rodentraiser, President Obama went after SS and was concerned about how long it was taking them to make a simple decision. "Get the backlog cleaned up!" were his orders.

Pirate applied a year ago and we were expecting that forever loooong period before a decision was handed down. Inside of four months he was approved and his check was in the bank in less than five days.

Yeh, we all had heard of those waiting periods. And they did just the opposite of what the judge did to you. SS determined that he became disabled six months earlier than Pirated stated.

He was getting SNAP so he could eat. And he was getting full benefits. The day he got his first payment it was for 'back to the day it was determined by SS that he became disabled.' He also go a notice from SNAP that he was no longer eligible for food stamps.

During Pirate's working days, he always earned top dollar. So that first check was humongous by anyone's standards. He could have bought two new cars with it. He asked me to be his caretaker. I turned the offer down. The checks would have come to me, and I would dole out the money as I saw fit. His oldest son took on the job. Today, he receives each month, the most of any recipient can receive each month.

So yeah. it used to take years to get your benefits. But not anymore. SS did clean up their act and you get your money and a decision a lot faster. Also we have a very large SS office right in Boston that serves the Northeast. And there are seattelights (sp?) offices throughout New England. We have one right in Chelsea that is actually within walking distance from where I live. Pirate chose to go into Boston. Waiting time was ten minutes.

I have a girlfriend in Georgia that applied for her daughter. She hired a lawyer and it took her two years before she won her suit. You're right, the lawyer does take quite a chunk out of the first check. I think she went into shock when she saw how much he took. He did go into court and argue the case. But you can bet there is a secretary in his office or paralegal doing all the paper work. They just get their monthly paycheck. Pirate and his son were smart. No lawyer for him. Personally, what I think won his case was the fact that he fell down twice while in the office. the second time his head landed on the SS workers arch and dang near broke her foot. He came home crying because he was so embarrassed. He hates falling down in public. But then who doesn't?

Ironing the Easter table cloth I picked up at the Goodwill yesterday. I am working really hard on bringing the Holidays into the house for Mom. Had a green table cloth with shamrocks on it for St. Paddy's day, got a really pretty one for their anniversary, and now I have the one with Easter bunnies on it.

Ironing the Easter table cloth I picked up at the Goodwill yesterday. I am working really hard on bringing the Holidays into the house for Mom. Had a green table cloth with shamrocks on it for St. Paddy's day, got a really pretty one for their anniversary, and now I have the one with Easter bunnies on it.

I love sitting at a table with a tablecloth on it. I had one for Thanksgiving. It was more for fall though. Colored leaves on it with matching napkins. My SIL was afraid to use the napkins. He insisted he wanted paper ones. I didn't have any. So he carefully would wipe his mouth.

The last time I used it, he commented that the table looked like you were eating at a B&B for a romantic weekend.

I love sitting at a table with a tablecloth on it. I had one for Thanksgiving. It was more for fall though. Colored leaves on it with matching napkins. My SIL was afraid to use the napkins. He insisted he wanted paper ones. I didn't have any. So he carefully would wipe his mouth.

The last time I used it, he commented that the table looked like you were eating at a B&B for a romantic weekend.
Everything is washable, that is what I tell my Mom when she spills on herself or the tablecloths. I just love dressing the table for her--flowers in antique vases, tablecloths, place mats, antique linen napkins, napkin rings. We have heart-shaped napkin rings for Valentine's Day, Shamrock ones for St. Paddy's Day, Poinsettia ones for Christmas. The little things mean a lot to me these days. Besides, what am going to do with all these linens?

OK, I have some pics. Please excuse the bad quality - I've needed a new camera for ages now (we won't talk about how bad I am at taking the pictures).

The shadowbox is meant to hang on the wall and is each "room" is 8" wide x 5 1/2" deep. The kitchen is at the bottom, then the living room obviously, and the bedroom and the bathroom is under the roof. The rooms aren't completely finished just yet. I have to wait till the 1st in order to get some tile for the bathroom (which will be pink, by the way - really goes well with that paper) and some stain and varnish for the bedroom and living room floors and trim.

I usually go up to my friend's house on Sundays and she generously lets me use her supplies for everything else while we work (or swear) at our miniature houses.

The other house is one I'm trying to make into a shabby chic house and unfortunately, I'm really succeeding at that!:LOL:

So far I've done the kitchen, but it came out way, way pinker than I wanted. So I may change that completely.

The bathroom came out nice. That piece of paper you see in it is the tape wire that will go up the back of the shower when I'm done. I'm putting a sink up against the back and I need the tape wire so I can put a light over the sink. The shower's a little rough, but I think when I'm done, it will look nice.

Attachments

• shadowbox.jpg
    shadowbox.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 122
  • sbkitchen.jpg
    sbkitchen.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 125
  • sblivingroom1.jpg
    sblivingroom1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 112
  • sbbedroom.jpg
    sbbedroom.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 126
  • sbbathroom.jpg
    sbbathroom.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Sorry Addie. I was just figuring out how to load pictures. Here is the other house I'm working on - kitchen, bathroom, and shower stall:

Attachments

• arthurbathroom.jpg
    arthurbathroom.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 122
  • arthurkitchen.jpg
    arthurkitchen.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 121
  • shower.jpg..jpg
    shower.jpg..jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I thought I'd add one more picture and this is the shadowbox living room with the chair in it. Obviously, there will be more furniture in this room than a chair (when I'm rich LOL), but I wanted to see how it went with the room.

Attachments

• sblivingroom 2.jpg
    sblivingroom 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Got home from Ohio yesterday. Still exhausted. Could have used another dumpster and another week. received_10154129426266017.jpg this is the garage. The basement looked the same way. Just me my wife and one of my wifes other aunts. For Thoes of you who don't know we went to Ohio to clean out one of my wifes aunts house because she got put in a nursing home. Mouse crap everywhere. It was crazy. It still looks like we didn't do anything. I filled a 14x8x4 ft roll off dumpster all by myself while the girls sifted through everything.

Got home to find the dog had killed 2 chickens and beat up a few more. Went and Got some fence to make a dog pen. Have to pen her up now. It will be 80x30 so plenty of room. She got the taste for blood so don't have any other choice. She will be able to run at night when the chickens are in the coop.

On a brighter note I stopped at tractor supply and found out they had a 75% off sale on chicks so I got 30 more.

Got home from Ohio yesterday. Still exhausted. Could have used another dumpster and another week. View attachment 26485 this is the garage. The basement looked the same way. Just me my wife and one of my wifes other aunts. For Thoes of you who don't know we went to Ohio to clean out one of my wifes aunts house because she got put in a nursing home. Mouse crap everywhere. It was crazy. It still looks like we didn't do anything. I filled a 14x8x4 ft roll off dumpster all by myself while the girls sifted through everything.

Got home to find the dog had killed 2 chickens and beat up a few more. Went and Got some fence to make a dog pen. Have to pen her up now. It will be 80x30 so plenty of room. She got the taste for blood so don't have any other choice. She will be able to run at night when the chickens are in the coop.

On a brighter note I stopped at tractor supply and found out they had a 75% off sale on chicks so I got 30 more.

We once had a dog that had a spirited nature, is a nice way to put it.She wasn't a year old yet. Still in training.I let her out one night to do her business.She didn't come when I called her.Called her name for hours.When she finally did decide to mind hours later, she came home winded, sweaty.I didn't know why until the next morning.
She had gotten into the sheeps pen and had ran one in particular around until it died.
Living around all kids of livestock.That was a huge NO-NO!
The owners knew by the condition of the lamb that it wasn't done for food.It was done for sport.She didn't eat it.

We apologized profusely.Offered to pay for the damages and the value of the Lamb.They were gracious about it. Declining our offer.We told them that we were going to find her a more suitable home. Did just that.She needed running buddies and a job she could call her own.We placed her with a loving family that truly wanted her.It all worked out.

Our other neighbor had the same problem as you.Their dog did the same thing as yours.What they did that worked was to tie the dog on lead.Stop it right at the chicken coop.They then tied the dead chicken to the dogs collar for a few days until it reeked.Broke the dog from going around the hens for life!:LOL:
Hell, it would work for me.:ROFLMAO:

Good luck. :)

Thats normally what I would do but I was want here when it happend. M y teenage son was doing chores. He discarded the dead birds. If it happens again she will have one tied around her neck.

Thats normally what I would do but I was want here when it happend. M y teenage son was doing chores. He discarded the dead birds. If it happens again she will have one tied around her neck.

Mine would have done the same thing. Take care of business.
Or in my case our son's would have said "Quick!, Mom's home early! Hide the evidence!" LOL!!!! Just kidding...

Just got through with breakfast - had to get fasting blood work done this AM, so had breakfast late. Going to Wal-mart and grocery store after The View goes off.

Back
Top Bottom