What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Researching recipes for Mexican style empanadas for GD. I was going to use the Cuban picadillo recipe but she likes neither olives nor raisins.

You've mentioned your poor eating habits before Addie - also that you control your diabetes by 'diet alone'. I'm curious as to how? Especially with all those cups of coffee with added sugar during the day...?

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I told myself that if I could just have the sugar and half and half in my coffee, I would give up all sugared foods. I also keep my carb intake low. One of the reasons I lost so much weight so fast. I have kept that promise. I use a small salad plate to eat from. Most of my foods are veggies. I love carrots (too high in sugar, so it is limited) broccoli, and a lot of other veggies. They fill most of my plate up. I have a small helping of meat with them most of the times. Over the years my A1c has gone down, down, down. It is presently at 6.1.

I am the baker in the family. When I make a cake or pie, I never. and I do mean never , not lick the beaters or take a small piece "just this once." So many times when I am with someone who offers me something to eat that I know I can't have, my response is always, "No thank you, I am a diabetic." Then of course I get the 'my uncle has diabetes and he eats cake, pie, you name it, all the time'. "I am not your uncle. No thanks." Like I said, I have kept that promise I made to myself a long time ago.

Today if I were to pick up a crumb (something I have done) from a piece of cake, I would find it so sweet that it almost makes me sick to my stomach. I never get a craving for any sweets. One day I took a small bite from a Mounds Bar. I had to spit it out.

It hasn't been easy. But I have successfully gotten my diabetes under control. I am no longer on any medication for it for more than five years. Even my doctor is very happy with what I have been able to accomplish. (Except for my fast weight loss.)

I still don't eat very often. One meal is all my stomach can handle in a 24 hour span. Not enough to get the nutrients into my system. If I didn't have Poo here, I would probably eat even less. He reminds me when I haven't had enough to eat or when I ate last. I had my Vargus nerve severed. That nerve tells you when you are hungry. So I never get hunger pains. The main reason I eat is because I miss the act of chewing.

Last edited:
Addie, you may not be on medication for diabetes, but it sounds like your nutritional status is not very good. That probably contributes to difficulties you have with pain, weakness and healing. You would feel a lot better if you ate more regularly, whether you're hungry or not.

That depends on which state they live in. Medicaid has never been funded at the level it's needed.

Absolutely. Texas legislators hate medicaid. But, then again, when it comes to adults without health insurance, we're number one! For uninsured children, we came in second, but we'll work on that. We hate second place.

CD

I've been playing with "DeepArt": https://deepart.io/#

0ff297e92aac3ab1aca85a82c48091c7.jpg

915dd42b0cf4dcaec44ea25449c81a57.jpg

That's awesome! I just saw a couple of those on FB. A friend of mine did one with her cats. :)

It is late at night and I have been working on a spread sheet. Unfortunately it has been 15 or more years since I have work on one. I look at it using the View button. No lines at all show. I need to have the lines print and be visible. I have to turn over the spread sheet every month. What do I click on at top to get the lines for the rows and columns to show even when printing? I am not getting much help from the Windows button.

Anyone have the answer for me?

It is late at night and I have been working on a spread sheet. Unfortunately it has been 15 or more years since I have work on one. I look at it using the View button. No lines at all show. I need to have the lines print and be visible. I have to turn over the spread sheet every month. What do I click on at top to get the lines for the rows and columns to show even when printing? I am not getting much help from the Windows button.

Anyone have the answer for me?

I can only sympathize with you. There are discussion boards dealing with your issue, but you have to bother with registering a name a password just to ask a question there. That's a hassle, but sometimes worth it. Anyways, you might as well start here, right? ;)

What software are you using for the spreadsheet Addie? Excel? OpenOffice Calc? LibreOffice Calc? Google Sheets?

Open office calc. It came with the computer and I thought I like it until I spent an hour trying to get the gridlines to appear and print out. I enter my sugar readings and then print out the last two pages to turn into Winthrop so they can enter them into my chart.

Open office calc. It came with the computer and I thought I like it until I spent an hour trying to get the gridlines to appear and print out. I enter my sugar readings and then print out the last two pages to turn into Winthrop so they can enter them into my chart.
I have Libre Office Calc, but it should be the same.

Click the icon for Print Preview, if you can find it. If not use the menu: File | print preview.

Once the print preview is open, find the icon that says "format page" (or maybe just "Page") and click it.

A window with some tabs should open. Choose the tab called "Sheet". There should be a section with the label "Print". Tick the box that says "grid" or "grid lines". Click okay. Click the print preview icon or close the print preview from the file menu.

Addie, you may not be on medication for diabetes, but it sounds like your nutritional status is not very good. That probably contributes to difficulties you have with pain, weakness and healing. You would feel a lot better if you ate more regularly, whether you're hungry or not.

Most of my difficulties are from heart and circulation problems. I had most of my stomach removed. It can't hold a lot of food. And because most of the nerves that control the actions of the stomach were severed, I don't digest it in a hurry. I have a gastroenterologist that sees me about twice a year. He's thrilled if I eat anything at all. There are some foods I simply cannot eat. Any raw produce is at the top of the list. All veggies get cooked! that is a must.

And I think I will stop drinking so much coffee. I am on my last cup until the first of next month. Time for tea. I use less sugar when I drink that and I don't use milk. Coffee it is sugar and half and half. Fewer calories also when I drink tea.

Have you tried using Splenda and half&half in your coffee? That's what I use, but I'm on insulin also, so my diet is probably loads different than yours.

Most of my difficulties are from heart and circulation problems. I had most of my stomach removed. It can't hold a lot of food. And because most of the nerves that control the actions of the stomach were severed, I don't digest it in a hurry. I have a gastroenterologist that sees me about twice a year. He's thrilled if I eat anything at all. There are some foods I simply cannot eat. Any raw produce is at the top of the list. All veggies get cooked! that is a must.
Still, eating poorly doesn't make any of that easier to live with.

casey, as Cheryl said before I am my Mom's caregiver. She had hip replacement in October of 2015, then in June of last year she had an aneurysm. But I started being her caregiver in February of 2015 when she had a bleeding ulcer and passed out. Luckily I was there and was able to call 911. While she was in the hospital her Dr told me he didn't want her living alone anymore, so in I moved.

Have you tried using Splenda and half&half in your coffee? That's what I use, but I'm on insulin also, so my diet is probably loads different than yours.

Yes I have. I have tried them all. They all leave a metallic taste in my mouth. After going through just about every product on the market, that is when I made the promise to myself.

What software are you using for the spreadsheet Addie? Excel? OpenOffice Calc? LibreOffice Calc? Google Sheets?

Thank you TL. I printed out your instructions. I am one happy camper. Watch me do my Happy Dance. Well, almost, Hard to do with a gimpy leg.

All I know is that it worked!!! Yea.

Back
Top Bottom