What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a fast run to the store. I went out with just a sweater on for warmth. I didn't even make it half way down the block. I make a fast turn around and came back for my coat. It was so hot this afternoon. Where did the heat go?

The heat probably went away when the sun went down. I know we had to have the a/c on yesterday, and the heat on last night. Crazy weather these days.

I still would have been completely traumatized if I had hit him. Just a little cottontail.

In the event you should ever hit one, tell yourself that it is just another rodent. I know, that sounds horrible, but it is better than you being traumatized.

On second thought, I am not too happy when I see a critter on the highway that never made it back to the family home either. We have so many squirrels living in all the trees that surround our building. A lot of them never make it back across the street and up the tree. Every day you see the DPW truck driving by to pick them up. During the celebration of 1976, the city planted trees on all the streets throughout Boston. I have to admit, the streets looks really pretty tree lined. But it has brought in a lot of small critters that don't make it to see another day.

I decided to clean my oven. Only I don't have any oven cleaner spray. So I went the old fashion way. I put a container of ammonia in the oven and hope it does the job partially at least. The inside of the two panes of glass are horrible. So I poured some ammonia down the vent holes. Then put a thick piece of folded paper towel over the bottom piece that I taped on and covered the top with tape so the fumes could do their job. Already the gunk is rolling off between the two layers of glass.

I am not planning on doing any baking, and it is warm enough outside so that I can open the windows to release any fumes in the air.

It is Easter Sunday. Why am I getting involved in heavy house work?

In the event you should ever hit one, tell yourself that it is just another rodent. I know, that sounds horrible, but it is better than you being traumatized.

On second thought, I am not too happy when I see a critter on the highway that never made it back to the family home either. We have so many squirrels living in all the trees that surround our building. A lot of them never make it back across the street and up the tree. Every day you see the DPW truck driving by to pick them up. During the celebration of 1976, the city planted trees on all the streets throughout Boston. I have to admit, the streets looks really pretty tree lined. But it has brought in a lot of small critters that don't make it to see another day.

We have squirrels everywhere, here, and I have to say that squirrels are stupid. They will run across the road, get all the way to the other side, hear a car, panic, and turn and run back.

I slow down when I see one near the road I'm on, but most people don't. I see a lot of flat squirrels, especially during mating season when they are more stupid than usual.

We have some ponds scattered around town for flood control, and ducks live in them. About once a year, I see a flat duck on the road. Did it not know it could fly?

I also stop and pick up turtles trying to cross the road from time to time, and take them back to the pond.

CD

My sister in law avoided a squirrel and totaled her car against a guard rail....so...then I choose not to swerve for squirrels. When I was very young, my dad driving, didn't slow down because he couldn't tell what was crossing the road, as I screamed, 'Dad it's a child', well he finally slowed down. I had my heart in my throat.

I'm taking cheese pictures and eating some very young brick cheese. It needs a few weeks but it is a lovely light balance of sour and salty, mild, delicious. Dh is happy about that cheese. DS said, 'mmmmm, grilled cheese would be good'.

My sister in law avoided a squirrel and totaled her car against a guard rail....so...then I choose not to swerve for squirrels. When I was very young, my dad driving, didn't slow down because he couldn't tell what was crossing the road, as I screamed, 'Dad it's a child', well he finally slowed down. I had my heart in my throat.

I'm taking cheese pictures and eating some very young brick cheese. It needs a few weeks but it is a lovely light balance of sour and salty, mild, delicious. Dh is happy about that cheese. DS said, 'mmmmm, grilled cheese would be good'.

I remember when I first moved to the town I live in, the population was about 5,000. It is now almost 150,000, but back then, I lived in the boonies. We had all kinds of wildlife, including coyotes.

One night, I'm driving down the road, and see a car stopped, and a woman walking towards a coyote. I slammed on the brakes immediately, jumped out of the car, and asked her what she was doing. She told me she hit a dog with her car.

"That's not a dog, it's a coyote, and you need to get back in your car, now!

She was going to try to help what she thought was a dog. That could have gone really bad in a hurry.

CD

I remember when I first moved to the town I live in, the population was about 5,000. It is now almost 150,000, but back then, I lived in the boonies. We had all kinds of wildlife, including coyotes.

One night, I'm driving down the road, and see a car stopped, and a woman walking towards a coyote. I slammed on the brakes immediately, jumped out of the car, and asked her what she was doing. She told me she hit a dog with her car.

"That's not a dog, it's a coyote, and you need to get back in your car, now!

She was going to try to help what she thought was a dog. That could have gone really bad in a hurry.

CD

Anyone should never try to help an injured animal. They should always call the authorities who know how to handle them and have the right equipment.

Anyone should never try to help an injured animal. They should always call the authorities who know how to handle them and have the right equipment.
One day, I was driving home and came across a cat in the middle of the street that had been hit by a car. It couldn't move but was still alive. Several other cats were sniffing at it. I was afraid they might be hit as well, so I pulled over. It was obviously suffering. I happened to have a cardboard box with a lid in the car, so I got the cat into the box lid and took it to an emergency vet. They told me it had head and other internal injuries and asked me if I wanted them to try to save it. I asked if they could euthanize it, so it wouldn't suffer anymore, and they did.

rr, I cannot believe the intricate work that you're able to do. I'd be ALL fumble fingers if I tried building a dollhouse - even when my fingers worked good. Kudos to you on the nice job.

Thank you, but there's really no intricate work on the windows. The outside and inside trim are two pieces of trim 18" long. I just mitered the outside trim and glued it together, and then cut the inside trim to fit. I didn't even glue the inside trim - just cut it a shade too long for the space and force fit it in there. I figure the paint, stain, and/or varnish will keep them in place.

The lower part of the windows are also lengths of trim cut to size.

My kitchen window ended up a wee bit crooked, hopefully not to be seen under the curtains. I gave that its first coat of paint a little while ago and will give it a second coat in a few minutes. Then everything gets varnished.

I did a typical dumb Kelly-thing last night. I forgot I wanted to varnish the trim for the kitchen and glued it in. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to try and varnish the trim when it's already in the kitchen. Live and learn and learn and learn and learn...

We have some ponds scattered around town for flood control, and ducks live in them. About once a year, I see a flat duck on the road. Did it not know it could fly?

CD

When I moved up to the hills, we used to have quail on the roads I'm used to the crows on the road that fly off as you drive up on them, so I didn't really slow down. Naturally, the quail didn't move and I came to a screaming halt. All they did was look at my truck and I had to get out and shoo them out of the road. All I could think was, "And people have to hunt these things? Why not just use a car?"

Anyway, I learned city driving when I worked in a small town in California and had to drive down the main street. We always called the people there "birds" because they'd wait on the sidewalk for your car to come right up even to them and then walk out into the street in front of you without looking. Just like birds swoop right in front of your car as you're passing.

I leaned out the window once and told some teenagers who did that, that if I wanted a hood ornament, I could find one better looking than them.

I did a typical dumb Kelly-thing last night. I forgot I wanted to varnish the trim for the kitchen and glued it in. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to try and varnish the trim when it's already in the kitchen. Live and learn and learn and learn and learn...

Have you thought about making a checklist?

Taxes done and filed! I was so freaked out with my first attempt, I had to leave them alone for a couple days. The amount we were supposed to be paying in was ridiculous. Went over them again today, and found a small error and fixed it. Then when I tried to make my CC payment to Tax Act, on the very last screen, it kept bumping me off. At least 20 times. It finally took. I can be pretty adroit with "salty" vocabulary, and believe me, it was used.

Just hung a couple of 36" LED shop lights (the fixture looks like a fluorescent fixture). They replace a couple of old ceramic fixtures each with a 100 watt bulb. WOW what a difference!

Each fixture gives off twice the light in a very bright white.

Just hung a couple of 36" LED shop lights (the fixture looks like a fluorescent fixture). They replace a couple of old ceramic fixtures each with a 100 watt bulb. WOW what a difference!

Each fixture gives off twice the light in a very bright white.

Where did you hang them Andy? I have my almost too bright kitchen lights on a dimmer. It helps when you don't feel like deep cleaning. :LOL:;)

I guess I neglected to mention that. In my basement/storage area. One is on one side of the room near our freezer, the other is across the room near our pantry shelves (and other things, of course)

I'm a freak for bright lighting. Drives SO crazy. I always opt for bright over dim lighting.

Last edited:
Made some parmesan cheese. Dh went for milk this morning and an elderly (more elderly than Dh) said, he had 1 gallon of 2% while Dh had 4 of them. Man said, you must really like milk. Dh said, you must live alone. Man asked, why 4. Dh said, it is 4 lbs of parmesan cheese (it's really only 2 or 2.5 lbs). Man said, you must make cheese. Dh said, no, my wife does. Man said, you must like parmesan cheese a lot. DH, yeah. I laughed.

I'm fighting off being sleepy. I still have 2 1/2 innings of baseball to listen to but I'm tired. Did the daily load of laundry (Christmas-themed cotton throws), ran the dishwasher, swept the work area of the kitchen and shook the rugs, washed down half the kitchen cabinets...and didn't call out for supper! :LOL: By the time I'm done listening to the game I bet I end up with my second wind. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom