What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH came home on a lay-over from work (no pick-ups for 2 hours) - because he wanted to be with me. Well he is....playing computer games at his desk with his back to me, sitting at my desk playing here at DC. :LOL:

DH came home on a lay-over from work (no pick-ups for 2 hours) - because he wanted to be with me. Well he is....playing computer games at his desk with his back to me, sitting at my desk playing here at DC. :LOL:

Together time:rolleyes::LOL:

Apparently there is more to my heritage than just Swedish and German and more to James's than Welsh, German, and whatever else he is. We evidently have some vampire blood mixed in, since it is 6:00 a.m. and we are just getting ready to head to bed. We are horrible about that anyway, as many of you already know, but it has been so hot lately (a/c needs repair) that we can function better at night with the cooler air. :rolleyes:

PF, I have a question that I know I could ask my doctor or the PT department. But I would rather not.

I used to walk EVERYWHERE. It just never occured to me to take transportation if I could walk there in 30 minutes or less. I loved walking. Even on Sunday mornings, my husband and I used to take three or four hour walks.

With all the heart attacks I have had along with my now bad leg, walking leaves me gasping for breath and with chest pains. Is it possible to overcome this so I can walk at least more than ten feet? It is the heart thing that bothers me the most.

I also have arthritis in both hips and at the base of my spine. Joint replacement is out of the question. They want to save any needed surgery in case something important happens. :huh:

PF, I have a question that I know I could ask my doctor or the PT department. But I would rather not.

I used to walk EVERYWHERE. It just never occured to me to take transportation if I could walk there in 30 minutes or less. I loved walking. Even on Sunday mornings, my husband and I used to take three or four hour walks.

With all the heart attacks I have had along with my now bad leg, walking leaves me gasping for breath and with chest pains. Is it possible to overcome this so I can walk at least more than ten feet? It is the heart thing that bothers me the most.

I also have arthritis in both hips and at the base of my spine. Joint replacement is out of the question. They want to save any needed surgery in case something important happens. :huh:

Addie,
Do you have a pool near you where you could go and just walk in the water at your own pace? Some pools set aside time and lanes for this. Where I go we can pick our depth and the lanes are 25 meters long. I have worked my way from 6 lengths (150 m) to 12 (300 m). But you can do whatever your body will take and at your own speed. I have met so many people doing this as well from different age groups and degrees of body symptoms.

I too can't walk much on land, but this mild resistance in the water builds my stamina....and I feel good emotionally too! And my PT and doctor both recommend it highly. (I am actually just getting ready to head to the pool!)

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Addie,
Do you have a pool near you where you could go and just walk in the water at your own pace? Some pools set aside time and lanes for this. Where I go we can pick our depth and the lanes are 25 meters long. I have worked my way from 6 lengths (150 m) to 12 (300 m). But you can do whatever your body will take and at your own speed. I have met so many people doing this as well from different age groups and degrees of body symptoms.

I too can't walk much on land, but this mild resistance in the water builds my stamina....and I feel good emotionally too! And my PT and doctor both recommend it highly. (I am actually just getting ready to head to the pool!)
I hope that helps!

I do. In fact there are two pools in my community. And they do have a program for the elderly and handicap. I had completely forgotten about them. Will look into it next time I go to Winthrop. One is at the Y. An olympic size pool. And another at the middle school. I will opt for the Y. No stairs to contend with. And I know my health plan will pay for any costs and provide transportation. Being only 4'8" tall, you know which end I will be at. Although I do know how to swim. Thanks. :angel:

I do. In fact there are two pools in my community. And they do have a program for the elderly and handicap. I had completely forgotten about them. Will look into it next time I go to Winthrop. One is at the Y. An olympic size pool. And another at the middle school. I will opt for the Y. No stairs to contend with. And I know my health plan will pay for any costs and provide transportation. Being only 4'8" tall, you know which end I will be at. Although I do know how to swim. Thanks. :angel:

I agree with LP's suggestion, this would be perfect for you. You can start out as big or small as you can handle and just increase it a little each time.

Same with walking...out to the street and back. Time your self, 10 minutes. Walk for 5 minutes, turn around and come back. As you build your stamina, you will get farther away in that 5 minutes. When you are accomplishing a city block, go for 10 minutes, then 20, then 30.

I cannot give any better advice than to find a really good pair of walking shoes.

Elder Service Plan is looking into it for me. As they would provide all the transportation and absorb all the costs, it has to go through them. The PT Department and my PCP will make an evaluation of my ability to withstand any stress on my heart. That is the main concern. I am really excited about this. Aside from building up my strength, it also gets me out of the house doing something that really interests me. three heart attacks last year did do some damage to my heart. Just adding to what was there prior. :)

You have all seen those ads about Avandia doing damage to the heart? Well I was one of those folks. I had just had a quint bypass and was feeling really good heart wise. Then the leg ulcer reared it ugly head and I had to go to rehab so they could put a vacuum pump on my leg around the clock. That meant bed. The doctor there changed my medications. Including my diabetes ones. He put me on the Avandia. While there I was on that medication, I suddenly couldn't breath and had some serious heart pain. It lasted only a couple of seconds. About six months later the reports came out about the damage caused by the Avandia. Since then it has been downhill with my heart.

Now I could register for part of the settlement set up by the pharmaceutical company. But any monies I might receive would have to go to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. You see, what Medicare doesn't cover is picked up the MassHealth. They pay my premium for Medicare and any costs not covered by Medicare. ESP pays the rest. So any winnings, bonus money from the Lottery over $600, etc, goes to the Commonwealth. They want their money back. So it is an exercise in futility. Ticks me off big time. :mad:

Oh... I'm sitting here with the window open, letting the breeze in. I did a load of laundry, but I'm being lazy on getting it in the dryer.. lol. I didn't get much sleep last night, so I feel kind of sluggish.

Trying to figure out where I can see the eastern horizon so I will be able to see the moonrise of the largest full moon in 2012. Will probably drive down to the shore of Lac St-Louis.

Slept fine last night, just want more. I'm going to feed the cats, watch the Derby...
Rats! I missed the Derby! I love watching it. Actually it is probably better that I did miss it....this is something Dad and I really enjoyed together and I would probably be watching it through a lot of tears.

DH and I took all our pop cans, juice bottles, etc. to the depot ($22.00 worth!), took a pile of paper, cardboard and plastics, cans, etc. to the recycle bin, looked at a new cell phone for me, got our order of gluten free bread, had fish and chips at one of our favourite places, bought the dogs a new toy basket (I fell onto the old one and broke it...I was okay though!) and picked up my anti-biotic for my dentist appointment on Monday (need to take it as a precaution for my knee).

Now we are catching up on Nakita!

Rats! I missed the Derby! I love watching it. Actually it is probably better that I did miss it....this is something Dad and I really enjoyed together and I would probably be watching it through a lot of tears.

DH and I took all our pop cans, juice bottles, etc. to the depot ($22.00 worth!), took a pile of paper, cardboard and plastics, cans, etc. to the recycle bin, looked at a new cell phone for me, got our order of gluten free bread, had fish and chips at one of our favourite places, bought the dogs a new toy basket (I fell onto the old one and broke it...I was okay though!) and picked up my anti-biotic for my dentist appointment on Monday (need to take it as a precaution for my knee).

Now we are catching up on Nakita!

It wasn't a big surprise, the Derby I mean, a horse won...:rolleyes:

I'll be watching the Preakness and the Belmont, too! I love watching the horses run. It's the only sport I get excited about and I really don't care who wins. I just like to watch the horses.

I'll be watching the Preakness and the Belmont, too! I love watching the horses run. It's the only sport I get excited about and I really don't care who wins. I just like to watch the horses.

I'll be watching the other races as well. I don't know why I didn't remember the derby was on today. I have watched it with my Dad since I was little. I love horses and I too don't care who wins. Though I kind of like some of the jockeys and often route for them! :LOL: It is just such a regal sport. I love show jumping and have also been to the Cloverdale (here in BC) and Calgary Stampedes.

Back
Top Bottom