"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #14211
Certified Pretend Chef

Got home from dinner with friends. I had been recording the Red Sox game and was able to watch it from the beginning. What a great finish!

Red Sox are going to the World Series!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #14212
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The Ogre just woke up......He's especially growly this morning, I'm going to suggest a pain pill.....
Perhaps a nice strong cup of tea might help next time. Might consider hemlock tea.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #14213
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Perhaps a nice strong cup of tea might help next time. Might consider hemlock tea.
Oh, it was close...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #14214
Master Chef

I'm nursing a headache. Guess I'm still worn out from cheering through a really exciting game on Saturday. Got a little worried when we started out on the losing end of the score, but then took the lead midway during the 3rd quarter, leading for good just a few minutes into the 4th. Ohio State beats the Hawkeyes 34-24 to hand Urban Meyer his 19th consecutive win!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #14215
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Trying to wake up...I have a normal blood sugar and am very happy about that!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #14216
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Trying to wake up...I have a normal blood sugar and am very happy about that!
That is a great way to start the day!

I would not be too concerned if it runs a little high in the morning. First thing in the morning your body tends to gear up for the day and any stored "sugar" is released to get you moving. Sometimes my fasting blood sugar runs 15 or 20 points higher than it should. This is a weird disease, just when you think you have it down to a routine your body can toss you a curve or in my case a new wrinkle!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #14217
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That is a great way to start the day!

I would not be too concerned if it runs a little high in the morning. First thing in the morning your body tends to gear up for the day and any stored "sugar" is released to get you moving. Sometimes my fasting blood sugar runs 15 or 20 points higher than it should. This is a weird disease, just when you think you have it down to a routine your body can toss you a curve or in my case a new wrinkle!
Oh, I know! But I had a handle on it and was doing great with FBS between 90 and 110 for a long time with diet and Victoza. Then it started creeping up and I ended up back on metformin, high dose Victoza and more cholesterol medications. I was still trending up...

I got a sinus infection and the Urgent care doc put me on high dose antibiotic for 20 days...my blood sugars are starting to bottom out on me. I think the whole time I had an underlying infection of some sort, that is now abating with the antibiotic. And I have been feeling better overall with more energy than I have had in ages.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #14218
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Putting my feet up and taking "5" before I decide what project I want to do next.

I spent the greater part of the morning moving plants from the outside to indoors in anticipation of cooler/colder temperatures.

I accumulated many new plants this summer and some of my established plants had "babies" so I have way more than last year. I wound up assembling my indoor greenhouse and placing it at one of my front studio windows. I used to use the greenhouse in my big old house that Buck and I lived in because I had so many plants there, too.

After I got the greenhouse situated and put what, so far, plants I want there, Bella and I planted pansies in the window boxes at each of the three studio windows and replaced the portulaca (moss rose) in the two strawberry pots that flank the outside corners of the studio with pansies, too. I can't wait to see their smiling faces peeking out of the strawberry pot balconies.

I took the dusty miller out of the window boxes, put it in several pots and will propagate it during the winter for spring planting. Looks like I'll have the greenhouse filled in no time.

I still have a few plants to bring in and am on the fence about bringing two in because they're so large. I'm formulating a way to allow them to stay outside with little or no adverse effects.

It's such a beautiful day here - sunny, about 65F, clear, light breeze, next to no humidity - that I don't want to waste it being inside more than necessary.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #14219
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Doing garden work here too, in anticipation of the upcoming frosts. Pulling up the toms and cukes. I'll have to dig up Alix's green tomato mincemeat recipe, made it last year and it was outstanding.

Hmm, just saw Somebunny's green tomato mincemeat, may make a combo of both!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #14220
Executive Chef

Just finished making a batch of salsa verde with the volunteer tomatillos. It's good, but not as good as my Mexican neighbors, I will have to get some pointers from her. Also whipped up a batch of ginger snaps, dough is chilling and I will bake them after dinner, speaking of, its almost time to get started on that. DH changed the dinner plans and as requested stir-fry.