What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my favorite cold cuts is olive loaf but when I eat the deli brands it spikes my blood sugar.

Today I mixed up an experimental batch using a 20 ounce package of ground turkey, Morton's curing salt, various spices and a cup of whole stuffed olives. I wrapped the mixture in plastic wrap to form a chub and will let it cure for a day or two in the refrigerator. Next I will rewrap it in aluminum foil and toss it into a slow oven to bake.

We'll see!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have a toaster oven also and was wanting to fix some cream cheese muffins but all my pans are just too big to fit in it. So, I think I will get some o the silicon pans and cut them in half. But, I think I will wait and see how your experiment turns out first.

It worked slick. The kitchen shears went through it like buttah. It now fits in the toaster oven perfectly. I'm going to cut the mini 12 meatloaf pan in half next.

I always use a pan underneath anything silicone as they can tend to be a bit floppy otherwise. Ask me how I know.

Thanks to GG for the encouragement!

Last edited:
It worked slick. The kitchen shears went through it like buttah. It now fits in the toaster oven perfectly. I'm going to cut the mini 12 meatloaf pan in half next.

I always use a pan underneath anything silicone as they can tend to be a bit floppy otherwise. Ask me how I know.

Dawg, I saw these done on The Kitchen a while ago. They'd be great in your new custom muffin pan......:yum:
Mini Broccoli Quiches with Prosciutto Crusts Recipe | Katie Lee | Food Network

Must be wildlife day at the Dawg house today. Earlier this morning, I looked out the window, and thought, wow, that's a really big dog. Except it wasn't a dog, it was a big doe. Just a few minutes ago, I was watching a squirrel trying to outwit the baffle on the bird feeder. Another dog ran up with an eye on the squirrel. Except this dog was a beautiful red fox. After the fox ran back into the woods, the deer returned, and meandered through the neighbor's backyard.

We get a lot of animals here, but usually at night when they can't be seen.

Kewl! Glad it worked out well for you! :clap:

I just came home from Kroger. I've been thinking about making saganaki lately (Greek fried cheese) so I put it on the grocery list and DH went to the store yesterday. It turned out that, because it isn't selling, their halloumi cheese (sheep's milk cheese that can be grilled or fried) is on clearance for two thirds off! So DH got two packages yesterday and I went back today and bought the last three packages they had. They're vacuum-packed with expiration dates in January and February next year. Yum :yum:

Thanks or the info. Where do you get your silicon pans?

Thanks or the info. Where do you get your silicon pans?

I don't remember! It's been eons. It might have been from a kitchen store in MI. I think they're pretty common now, maybe Walmart, Target, BB&B, or Amazon would have them.

Regarding silicone pans, you can also get the individual silicone cupcake baking liners and do as many as you want. I have my 6-week bran muffin batter and I put a couple of the silicone liners on my toaster oven pan and bake them to perfection! I have to spray oil on them to get them out easily but otherwise, it works great!

I am sort of in a stupor today.

Back in December of 2012, I applied for disability. I had a 2nd hearing last November and one letter from my lawyer in February. And then nothing until last week. Boom. Just like that. Last Friday I got a letter from the judge, saying I was approved, Saturday I got a letter from Social Security saying they're going to call me on Tuesday, and they did. Today I'm starting to come back to earth a little bit. I've gone from living on food stamps and $200 a month to having more money in one chunk than I've ever had before in my life. But as always, it's a good news, bad news type of thing.

Good news: My application for federal disability was approved!
Bad news: My rent is going to go up by 7 times the amount I'm paying now.

Good news: I get my first disability check around June 21.
Bad news: No one seems to know when all the back checks come in.

Good news: I still qualify for food stamps.
Bad news: They will be cut to $16 next month. On June 4th (see above).

Good news: I thought I would just save my food stamps for a year on my card and then use them all for one month's purchase of food.
Bad news: I have to use them all up in three months.

Good news: I get a lot more money than I thought for the back checks.
Bad news: I have to do something with it within 30 to 60 days or it goes against me as income.

Good news: The judge sent my lawyer a letter stating that she was charging too much and she has a limit she can't go over.
Bad news: One of the women living here had the same lawyer who went behind her back and took some of her social security money.

Good news: My medicare starts next month.
Bad news: I have an appointment for my eyes in the middle of June and I don't know if it's covered now.

My whole morning today has been spent on the phone and tomorrow (lucky me!!!) I get to call the Housing Authority, Social Services, and Social Security. I guess the good news is I'll eventually get used to having a phone growing out of my head. :LOL:

Oh, I just remembered I need to call the IRS, too. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom