What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand how you feel. A very close friend of mine was just diagnosed with lung cancer. They give him 5 to 10 years. Hes shutting everyone out and refusing treatment. He won't even use a nebulizer. Oh and he has informed us that he will not stop smoking. The only people who know of his condition is my wife a I and his girlfriend. He just turned 40. We want to help him cope but he just gets mad.

Your friend is just not ready for others to know and offer help. He is still in shock from learning himself and still processing the information. Just let him know you are there to help when he is ready.

This afternoon my son and I went on a mile and a half hike in natural bridge Kentucky. We took the more difficult trail up and easy way down. It was hard but it reminded me how much I enjoyed going on hikes in a Boy Scouts.FB_IMG_1498698674275.jpgFB_IMG_1498698690280.jpg

I understand how you feel. A very close friend of mine was just diagnosed with lung cancer. They give him 5 to 10 years. Hes shutting everyone out and refusing treatment. He won't even use a nebulizer. Oh and he has informed us that he will not stop smoking. The only people who know of his condition is my wife a I and his girlfriend. He just turned 40. We want to help him cope but he just gets mad.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but are you sure it's years, lung cancer is generally more like months, especially without treatment. Both of Craig's brothers died from it, 1 a current and continuing smoker, and the other just shy of 10 years quitting. Sorry to say, but neither of them lasted more than 6 months after diagnosis, even the 1 that chose to treat.

medtran, all cases are different. My Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer when he was in his early 70s. The doctors removed 1/2 half of a lung and Dad continued on for another 4 years. He had been a smoker from age 14 until they found the cancer. Ultimately, it was liver cancer that got him in the end.

medtran, all cases are different. My Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer when he was in his early 70s. The doctors removed 1/2 half of a lung and Dad continued on for another 4 years. He had been a smoker from age 14 until they found the cancer. Ultimately, it was liver cancer that got him in the end.

CG: I realize all cases are different. I see all kinds of medical problems every day I work. Lung cancer survival rates are not good. General 5-year survival rates are below 50% for Stage I non-small cell cancer, and below 35% for small cell cancer, and go down drastically depending on how advanced the cancer is when found. Your dad was lucky to live so long and he did have treatment, i.e. surgical, so it must not have been too advanced when found. And was it really liver cancer or lung cancer that had metastasized to the liver? If left untreated, it won't be years. And if they aren't offering surgery, that's not good.

When patients hear the words "you have cancer," their minds tend to flip out and the vast majority don't comprehend what the healthcare provider is telling them. I went to doc visits with my oldest BIL, he didn't even realize what the doctor was saying and how advanced it was even a couple of weeks after his diagnosis, and he was a very intelligent man. Same with my mother when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I told her to make another appointment for a week or 2, and take 1 of her friends with her to the doctor, as well as have him call me (I lived over 1000 miles away). Same thing with patients that got a cancer diagnosis when I was still working in office. We always suggested they bring someone with them to the next office visit.

Farmer Jon: Somebody really needs to have a heart to heart with your friend and get the facts. My 1 BIL didn't want treatment either because he had seen Craig's other brother go through chemo. But, as he started to get really, really bad, he decided he wanted to try chemo after all. By then though it was far, far too late, he passed away less than 2 weeks later. His girlfriend (a nurse) and I had both told him when he was diagnosed that he needed to be sure about refusing treatment because if he waited it would be too late, we told him that repeatedly at first. In his case though, I found out when I started going with him to doc appointments that it really didn't matter, chemo would have just made him miserable and maybe given him a couple more months.

Regardless, your friend is, at some point, going to be dependent on his girlfriend, you, your wife, his family if he has any, and/or paid caregivers, so it does concern and affect more than just him whether he likes it or not, and somebody is going to have to give him some tough love after he gets over the initial shock and has time to process.

We each have our thoughts on how to handle cancer..

When my wife was told that she had inoperable cancer she told her doctor that she did not want treatment, that she would accept her fate.. Our daughter had recently had a second baby boy. Her doctor told my wife that if she would accept treatment, she "might" live to see Christmas with her family (this was in September).. She took a series of chemo treatments.. The effect that chemo had on her was that she became unable to eat.. She lost all interest in life, didn't want her grandchildren to see her.. Long story short, she starved to death, in and out of a coma until Christmas day.. She asked me what day it was and I told her that she made it to Christmas.. We told each other goodbye and she closed her eyes and shut down.. It took her 3 days to pass.. She made it to Christmas, but at what cost to a vibrant wife, mother and grandmother??

My point, if any, is that we each must decide how to handle the situation and loved ones must respect that decision..

Ross

Last edited:
Wishing I was sitting in the yard with Jethro Leroy Dog and howling at trains. It is so much fun.

That does sound like fun! That's why I love going to the dog park - animals seem to come up with the best games! The only one I am not so fond of is when the pups (and there are a lot of them of all shapes and sizes) play "Hide behind LP's nice long flowing skirts and play WWE!"

I know, stop wearing the long flowing skirts! :LOL:

I am working on getting the last boxes out of the great room so we can actually see how great it is! :)

You're welcome. I truly understand what your going through.
I've lost my last youngest brother not long ago he was only 48. That after we just lost Mom to Dementia.

Yes O/T is Occupational Therapy. Plus others that he attends. Were on the road a lot. It's ok, it's paying off.
Mr. Munk is recuperating from a stroke he suffered after he had bypass surgery. He's been doing great. It's been a tough road at times. He's doing it. I'm very proud of how far he's come.

Munky.

Yup, we all went along on that trip with the both of you. If prayers are said to work, you and Mr. Munk are certainly the recipient of many of them. Prayers, your tenacity and his determination to overcome certainly brought wonders for the two of you.

I have to admit, we all laughed when you went after that nurse. It was because of you that he got the very best care. "Don't mess with Mrs. Munky!"

I got the call I've been waiting on for the last week. They need me to fly to NYC tomorrow. I have some cars to shoot (a few sweet ones in the mix) over the next few days up there.

Then, here comes the whammy I didn't see coming -- next stop, Los Angeles. Let's toss in San Diego and Oakland while we're at it.

I just got the parts and repaired my new Treager, too. I can't use it till I get back.

BTW, I'll probably be flying from NY to LA on the 4th. I'll go for a late flight. I've done it before, and you see fireworks shows everywhere from 30K up.

CD

Sounds Awesome, CD! Have a safe flight. I have watched fireworks from a sailboat but never from the air.

Munky, I wasn't around for your tough time but know that I continue to pray for you both as you continue on the path.

Our area rug finally arrived and it is everything I hoped for and more. The colours are just right for the room and the pattern is simple but classy. It is very soft and the price was very right! Violet is happy she doesn't have to lay on the floor when Monkey has stolen the living room bed! :LOL:
Taren+Beige%2FBrown+Area+Rug.jpg

Last edited:
LP Mrs. Munky was really fierce when she was fighting for Mr. Munky and the care he received. That is how she got the title under her name, "Honey Badger". I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of her anger when she is fighting for a loved one.

I love that rug. Now everyone can have warm feet.

My son hooked me up with a survey company. For every thousand points I earn, I get paid $10 in cash. It is sent to my PayPal account. $20 in there already, and I have been doing these surveys for less than a month. They keep me busy and out of trouble. But there are some days I just can't sit at the computer for more than five minutes. Yesterday was one of those days. I was in so much pain, I even considered calling 911 for the ambulance. But I finally was able to get some sleep for at least four hours. Then it was off to Winthrop and they took care of everything. Feeling so much better now. Neuropathy is no fun to deal with. The odd thing is that I only have it in one leg. My bad leg that has the skin graft on it. When I am sleeping, it seems to want to act up and I start kicking the air. Pirate will wake me and make me take my medication to calm the leg down.

Back to my surveys. Need that easy found money.

Thanks, Addie, for filling me in. I am glad Mr. Munky had a Honey Badger to fight for him. I had to do that for my Dad many times.

I am glad you like the rug. I might get a smaller version for our foyer

Thanks, Addie, for filling me in. I am glad Mr. Munky had a Honey Badger to fight for him. I had to do that for my Dad many times.

I am glad you like the rug. I might get a smaller version for our foyer

Glad to be of help. A rug for the foyer will be one more place for the your "Babies".

Yeah, Mrs. Munky is someone you don't want to mess with. I keep meaning to ask her about her wacky neighbors that expected her to jump at their every command.

Angel Flight

We flew a cancer patient home that we have flown before. He was so wiped out by his treatment that he slept the whole way to his home airport. I really felt sorry for him. He has the same thing that took my late wife.

Spike as usual, came by with Teddy. We are expecting thunderstorms. Evidently Teddy sensed that and when it came time to leave, he braced his feet on the tile floor and Spike had to drag him out the door. Like most dogs, thunderstorms are not a favorite of his. Finally, once Spike got him out the door and into the hall, he picked him up and put him inside his shirt all the while hugging him.

Spike told me that when he gets him into the house, Teddy will run up the stairs, jump up on Spike's bed and burrow his way down to the bottom of the bed under the blanket. Then when Spike gets upstairs, he will hold him real close until Teddy knows it is safe to get down and go to his own bed.

Spike is having a sandwich for his supper. Teddy is having rare roast beef, minus the bread. Poor dog. He is so spoiled.

We flew a cancer patient home that we have flown before. He was so wiped out by his treatment that he slept the whole way to his home airport. I really felt sorry for him. He has the same thing that took my late wife.
You must feel both glad with being able to help and yet sad that your first wife went through so much while she was sick. I swear I'm going to start calling you SousAngel. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom