What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am really peeved with our local TV station. Channel 4 forever since I can remember, has always broadcast the Boston Pops and fireworks on the 4th. For some strange reason (contract problems) not one station is showing them tonight. They are showing DC and Macy's fireworks instead. I don't live in DC or NY. I live in Boston. If it wasn't for Boston standing up to the British, there would be no 4th to celebrate.

Many years ago someone handed me a piece of paper. On the top was a picture of the American flying. Below it were the following words.

Some people call me Old Glory, others call me the Star Spangled Banner, but what ever they call me, I am your Flag, the Flag of the United States of America....Something has been bothering me, so I thought I might talk it over with you....because it is about you and me.
I remember some time ago people lined up on both sides of the street to watch the parade and naturally I was leading every parade, proudly waving in the breeze, when your daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his hat and placed it against his left shoulder so that the hand was directly over his heart....remember?
And you, I remember you. Standing there straight as a soldier. You didn't have a hat, but you were giving the right salute. Remember little sister? Not to be outdone, she was saluting the same as you with her right hand over her heart....remember? What happened? I'm still the same old flag. Oh, I have a few more Stars since you were a boy. A lot more blood has been shed since those parades of long ago.
But I don't feel as proud as I used to. When I come down your street you just stand there with your hands in your pockets and may get a small glance and then you look away. The I see the children running around and shouting....they don't seem to know who I am....I saw one man take his hat off then look around, he didn't see anybody else with theirs off so he quickly put his back on.
Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have you forgotten what I stand for and where I've been? Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea and now Vietnam. Take a look at the Memorial Honor Rolls sometimes, of those who never came back to keep this Republic free... One Nation Under God ... when you salute me, you are actually saluting them.
Well, it won't be long until I'll be coming down your street again. So when you see me, stand straight; place your right hand over your heart...I'll salute you, by waving back... and I'll know that...

YOU REMEMBERED!

If parents won't teach their children this, then I wish the schools did.

Last edited:
I am really peeved with our local TV station. Channel 4 forever since I can remember, has always broadcast the Boston Pops and fireworks on the 4th. For some strange reason (contract problems) not one station is showing them tonight. They are showing DC and Macy's fireworks instead. I don't live in DC or NY. I live in Boston. If it wasn't for Boston standing up to the British, there would be no 4th to celebrate.

Wow, I'm surprised. The Boston show is a big one. It seems it used to be shown nationwide.

If my map skills are adequate enough, I should be able to see the Macy's show from my hotel room. I hope it is good, because I've been stuck in my hotel all day.

CD

My Dad and I always watched the Boston Pops' "Pops go the Fourth!" We loved the music, guest stars and the fireworks. I loved that once the fireworks started there was no more talking, just the music and the show!

You may know this by now, or you might not see this till too late, but it is on TV if you have cable. It's not WBZ or CBS's fault that it isn't on their channel this year, it's because a different network has the rights since they are paying for the fireworks in lieu of NO fireworks. IF this is in time, here are the different ways you can watch the show:

How to watch...

Well our fireworks were cancelled (rain), I'm not complaining.. I'm such a homebody but we went and ate at the truck stop in Anderson... (before we knew they were cancelled) I know, a truck stop... the first time my fiancé said he was taking me there to eat I had my doubts, I was thinking greasy but it is so good! Fresh salad bar and huge sandwiches or you can go for the bigger meals.

Looks like I won't be going to my daughter's house for the BBQ after all. My foot and leg are so swollen, it is best if I stay home and keep my leg raised. That's okay with me. it is 85ºF. out and I have hematomas all over my skin. If I sit out in the sun too long, you can actually see the blood boil just beneath my skin. Following the shade means jumping up and down to move my chair to the shade. She is going to bring me a plate later on tonight. And her yard is going to be crowded with people anyway. I want a quiet day.

No, you can't see any fireworks from her house. Unlike the triple deckers here in Boston, you can't go sit on her roof to see the sights. She has a single family home. We ca go down to the waterfront and see them from there. If we are so inclined to do. Missing one year will not be a big loss for me. I have been to the concert and fireworks so many times on the Esplanade that it is old hat by now.

Nap time and time to get my leg up.

Sorry to hear about your leg, Addie. Hopefully you will be on the path to getting it all figured out when you go to the Dr later this week. Prayers going up for your health. PBS had some good fireworks last night as did NBC. Watched NBC's and taped both for Mom to watch. We watched the one's on PBS this morning after we got back from doing our running around. Will probably watch Macy's tomorrow.

Well our fireworks were canceled (rain), I'm not complaining... I'm such a homebody but we went and ate at the truck stop in Anderson... (before we knew they were canceled) I know, a truck stop... the first time my fiancé said he was taking me there to eat I had my doubts, I was thinking greasy but it is so good! Fresh salad bar and huge sandwiches or you can go for the bigger meals.

Merlot, sorry to hear your fireworks were canceled but glad to hear you had a good meal.

Truck stops can have the best food, good prices, and huge quantities. This is because they are catering to a clientele who need fast, good food and have pretty healthy appetites. My parents liked a particular truck stop outside of Reno. The truckers had their own private restaurant with a second for other customers; however, the food was the same in every way! I remember ordering a beef dip with a side salad. They forgot the salad and by the time I got her attention I was almost done my sandwich. We said to just take the salad off the bill but she said no, she would bring it AND take it off the bill. The salad was huge! And it came with saltines, dressing on the side and big chunks of cucumber, tomato, and onion. I ended up taking it to go.

I am prepping to put together our second pantry. This is actually going to be my "spice cupboard" and I can't wait! The only drawback is it has about 50 pieces and that isn't including the hardware! I will try to post pictures when I am done!

Truck stops can have the best food, good prices, and huge quantities. This is because they are catering to a clientele who need fast, good food and have pretty healthy appetites.

When living 6 years in Missouri, Jeannie and I drove to California and back on a frequent basis.. After about the 3rd trip we decided that truck stops were great for good food and reasonable prices.. Because the servings were large, we often shared a meal with no problem and even assistance from the wait staff.. Truck stops are great places..

Ross

Merlot, sorry to hear your fireworks were canceled but glad to hear you had a good meal.

Truck stops can have the best food, good prices, and huge quantities. This is because they are catering to a clientele who need fast, good food and have pretty healthy appetites. My parents liked a particular truck stop outside of Reno. The truckers had their own private restaurant with a second for other customers; however, the food was the same in every way! I remember ordering a beef dip with a side salad. They forgot the salad and by the time I got her attention I was almost done my sandwich. We said to just take the salad off the bill but she said no, she would bring it AND take it off the bill. The salad was huge! And it came with saltines, dressing on the side and big chunks of cucumber, tomato, and onion. I ended up taking it to go.
It's called The Meeting Place in Alta, WV (mistake when I typed Anderson earlier)
It's much better than all the chain restaurants around here. We are getting a Golden Corral soon and that's all people have to talk about. People are like buzzards circling their prey except in this case, humans circling and eyeballing the buffet :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying some peace and quiet. Have the house all to myself.
Maybe I can relax for a little while. Dare that phone to ring.
It's been a long weekend.

Had to block my nutty neighbor's #. Step one for peace.Well, until she tries calling me again.When she finds that out she will be at my front door again.:ermm:

Gave away my car this weekend to our adopted son. Mr. Munky was shocked I did that, until I told him the reason why.After that he said he would have done the same thing. They actually did us a favor. City law says no parking on the lawn.My garage is packed with stuff that's going into storage.The car needed a home.

Munky.

Have been dealing with Shrek health problems this past week, looking forward to going to work tonight. Shrek is fine, just have another doctors appointment on Monday.

Busy Day today. First it is off to the bank to straighten up some stuff regarding our mortgage and debit cards. Oh, and to drop off another box of giveaways to charity.

Then it is back home to bath Violet (thanks to her rolling in some "stuff" in the dog park yesterday) before taking her to the vet for her pain shot.

Then back to meet up with some people at the dog park before getting ready to go to a BBQ at a friends for a 50th birthday party

Jasper and I dug some taters and onions and pulled a ton of weeds. We filled his wagon. Then I got Zane and Jozelyn to do some painting on the chicken coop. FB_IMG_1499543168992.jpgFB_IMG_1499543515499.jpg

Enjoying some peace and quiet. Have the house all to myself.
Maybe I can relax for a little while. Dare that phone to ring.
It's been a long weekend.

Had to block my nutty neighbor's #. Step one for peace.Well, until she tries calling me again.When she finds that out she will be at my front door again.:ermm:

Gave away my car this weekend to our adopted son. Mr. Munky was shocked I did that, until I told him the reason why.After that he said he would have done the same thing. They actually did us a favor. City law says no parking on the lawn.My garage is packed with stuff that's going into storage.The car needed a home.

Munky.

I know it is a drastic step, but have you considered a restraining order against them? Or is she the only one? Or is it the whole family? It could be that the husband is unaware of her intrusion into your life. And I know this has been going on even before Mr. Mucky became so sick. Enough is enough! Have you considered a camera at the front door so you can see when she is there and you just don't answer? Personally, I am all for that razor fence. ;)

Munky, I had a neighbour like that. I ended up taking my van off the road (and parking it at my in-laws) for the winter so she couldn't ask to borrow it. Thankfully she was evicted before we got it back on the road in the spring to help with our move. I am now selling it because I can either walk (which is good for me to an extent) or take the accessibility bus (what TB drives but I am not on his route) to wherever I want to go.

I hope you can do something to rid yourselves of these people. Do you want my to send Monkey over to spook them, after all, she is a black cat and the namesake of the Honey Badger Munky!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom