What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...models that are a year or two old cost a whole lot less and you can have your carrier activate them...

This is a good point. You don't have to get the newest model. The differences are often minor or don't impact how you would use your phone. The new phones we just got are several models old and will suit our needs.

As a side issue, I find it bewildering that there isn't one standard phone format for the industry. A phone that works on the Verizon network won't work on the ATT network and vice versa.

We prefer Apple products but Android products are also very good.

If you're happy with your current provider's reception, stick with them or consider a low cost provider that uses the same network. You probably won't use a lot of data to start so you can get a lower cost plan with a small provider that uses a major network.

For example, you may already be in the ATT network but ATT plans are aimed at high volume users and costly. Consumer Cellular uses the ATT network but has much less expensive plans for low volume users.

That is exactly my situation... I have been trying to convince myself to make that change and have resisted for a couple of years.. AT&T bought out our original (1996) service years ago.. We pay $80 a month for service for 2 phones.. Love AT&T (have Uverse and internet) but, I just have to make myself do it.. Some day.. :rolleyes:

Ross

Okay.....

I relied on AARP to do this. I bought an iPhone SE despite never having an Apple product before, through Consumer Cellular. I bought a Caterpillar phone for DH (he will love it). So I am dumping Verizonwireless who has been my faithful carrier for eons. I know the iPhone will work with CC because I bought it from them. I think I bought a phone for DH that will be compatible, as in being an unlocked GSM phone, whatever that is. I trust I can tune in here for some future hand holding?:huh:

We've used Ting (uses the Sprint network) for about four years and have no complaints. You buy your own phone, either thru them or someplace like eBay. Himself paid about $200. for our original phones, around $240. for my "new" refurbished Samsung S3 this past spring. We don't spend much time talking on the phone, use texting mostly when making vacation plans (basically only three billing periods a year), and use our WiFi at home. On average, our two-phone bill runs around $30 a month total. Since January of last year our highest bill was $34.04 and our lowest was $22.15.

Okay.....

I relied on AARP to do this. I bought an iPhone SE despite never having an Apple product before, through Consumer Cellular. I bought a Caterpillar phone for DH (he will love it). So I am dumping Verizonwireless who has been my faithful carrier for eons. I know the iPhone will work with CC because I bought it from them. I think I bought a phone for DH that will be compatible, as in being an unlocked GSM phone, whatever that is. I trust I can tune in here for some future hand holding?:huh:
Because the phone is unlocked, it can be used with the SIM card of any GSM (Global System for Mobiles) carrier. This can be very useful if travelling. E.g., I can buy one month worth of service in Europe and use the SIM card that comes with that in my unlocked Nexus. It's sooooo much cheaper than any roaming plan my usual phone provider has. Last time I was in Europe, I had a locked GSM phone, so a SIM card from any provider other than mine wouldn't work. Some providers will unlock their phones for a fee, but may require you to wait until the phone is paid off.

Totally don't understand this stuff....Can I use my home based WiFi, and what would i use it for? Saving minutes? I still haven't got used to my somewhat new computer which is the size of a deck of cards...certainly can't fit a floppy disc in that!

Totally don't understand this stuff....Can I use my home based WiFi, and what would i use it for? Saving minutes? I still haven't got used to my somewhat new computer which is the size of a deck of cards...certainly can't fit a floppy disc in that!
You should be able to use your home based WiFi. You would use it to surf the net and to look at your email and maps and any other apps* you download. I don't think you can use your WiFi to save phone minutes. You save on data.

*Have a look at Our Groceries for both of you. I found out about that app here on DC and love it. So does the hubster.

You should be able to use your home based WiFi. You would use it to surf the net and to look at your email and maps and any other apps* you download. I don't think you can use your WiFi to save phone minutes. You save on data.

*Have a look at Our Groceries for both of you. I found out about that app here on DC and love it. So does the hubster.
+1, especially for Our Groceries ;) DH and I use it, too. It synchronizes your grocery list, and any other lists you want to create, between your phones and any other devices you want. Love it.

I loved that app and actually forgot about it when I switched phones, thank you for the reminder!

So I called my mom to tell her about a message I got on my DNA ancestry.com that related to her side and she was crying. My brother is due for a PETscan and insurance is denying it, why? Who knows. He goes to Morgantown WVU next week for his follow up with DR Tomay who the first time we met said he has 1 year and refused to do surgery because the mass is too near to his aorta. My mom is holding onto maybe chemo has shrunk the tumor and he will change his mind. Dr here said he was responding well to chemo. It just sucks, really no other words

Day 13 on the road. Started in NYC, with a day trip to Connecticut, then on to San Francisco, then to Ventura and Los Angeles. I'm in San Jose right now. Making a day trip up to Sacramento tomorrow. Thursday I go home, at least for a few days, to take care of some other customers.

I'm also ready to cook and eat some home-cooked food. Restaurants can make a salad bad for your health.

CD

Casey, that is an insane travel schedule! What part of CT were you in? I'm guessing down near NYC. We live up close to the CT/RI point. When we drive through CT, though, our absolute favorite, must-stop is a diner in Newtown named "Blue Colony" (Exit 10 on I-84), open 24-7, with the sweetest server named Stacy. She works there only part time now, so we schedule our trips so we can be at Blue Colony on a Tuesday, Friday or Saturday evening just so we can say "hi"...and leave her a big tip. ;)

I bet your crazy dog will be very happy to see you when you get home. Enjoy your home cooking while you can.

We are getting a couple hogs processed so I've been cleaning out the freezer. I found some venison that I forgot about. A whole hind quarter. Freezer burned and several years old. I cooked it up for the cats. I also found some venison ribs. Same way. Couple years old and freezer burned. I put them in the oven and cooked them up for my chickens. They love ribs. They pick them down to the bone. Like A bunch of vultures.
I can't believe I forgot that was in there. I love venison. I hate wasting but if the animals can eat it then its not a complete waste.

I'm waiting for our pork chops and gravy to get done so Mom can have breakfast. Yes, that's what she wanted today. Have some mashed potatoes ready and I'm going to heat up some peas in the microwave in a few. Breakfast for her and a brunch or early lunch for me.

I'm experimenting. Have some grapes with some age on them, plan to cook the heck out of them and hopefully make some semblance of refrigerator grape preserves/sauce. Will shmoosh them up with a bit of sugar, fresh lime, no pectin, except a bit of apple.

Last edited:
We are getting a couple hogs processed so I've been cleaning out the freezer. I found some venison that I forgot about. A whole hind quarter. Freezer burned and several years old. I cooked it up for the cats. I also found some venison ribs. Same way. Couple years old and freezer burned. I put them in the oven and cooked them up for my chickens. They love ribs. They pick them down to the bone. Like A bunch of vultures.
I can't believe I forgot that was in there. I love venison. I hate wasting but if the animals can eat it then its not a complete waste.
I will have to try that with our chickens! Last night the big dog got my fiancés leftover tbone and the 3 puppies got the rest of my ribeye and sweet potato!

I am nursing a summer cold, which means I am basically doing nothing between walks with Violet. With my immune system if I do too much I just keep getting sick and I am enjoying our new life too much for that. The good news is I am catching up on my sleep and think my insomnia is laid to rest for the moment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom