"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #14541
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Is that where you work? Don't mean to pry, but just confused why you wanted to contact them and how it helped you get things done.

I hope you get a chance to usefully use that extra time. Are you making good use of the free time? How?
She had to contact them to get her old gov't insurance cancelled because she has new insurance now. She mentioned it yesterday... right in this thread I think. It shouldn't be too far back.

I just finished lunch, a BLT and the rest of the oyster stew.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #14542
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Is that where you work? Don't mean to pry, but just confused why you wanted to contact them and how it helped you get things done.

I hope you get a chance to usefully use that extra time. Are you making good use of the free time? How?
I began my federal service many, many years ago with the FBI and then, later, at a secure naval facility. I haven't worked for Uncle Government for a long while but Buck did for his entire career. As a result, I was covered by his health insurance even after I became a widow. Now I'll be covered under Glenn's plan.

I've been retired since 2009 and only work when I wish. Yeah!

As for using my extra time, I have been "playing" in yeast dough making English muffins. Trying out a new recipe or two or four.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #14543
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I can give to you some very good Romanian not so nice names if you wish.

Who is Pirate and Spike?

With love,
~Cat
The Pirate is my middle son and Spike is my oldest son. My youngest son is Poo.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #14544
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
She had to contact them to get her old gov't insurance cancelled because she has new insurance now. She mentioned it yesterday... right in this thread I think. It shouldn't be too far back.

I just finished lunch, a BLT and the rest of the oyster stew.
Oyster stew! dang it. I've had such a hankering for some lately, but the local stores aren't cooperating. I LOVE oyster stew! I want/need some now!

I see why patience is a virtue, but... Grrrr.

By the way, Pac, thanks for the update. I missed the original situation somehowl

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #14545
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Because there was an el-cheapo fridge in the apartment that was more than 30 years old and the same with the stove...the owner replaced the stove. He agreed to replace one or the other. His el-cheapo fridge now sits in his garage and I bought my own up to date fridge. A nice Whirlpool that is perfect for us, the shelves are tempered glass and come out to wash.

My deep freeze is another story, it's almost 50 years old and runs like a top. The brand is Coronado!
Mass. has a law that all landlords have to provide a safe, in working order, stove for every residence. And that includes the selling of a house. I lived in one apartment where the pilots on the gas stove kept going out. He was trying to tell me that I was blowing them out. He kept fiddling with it and nothing helped. When I insisted on a new stove, he threw a tissy fit. I ended up calling the Health Dept. and the Housing Inspection Dept. He got a hefty fine. Had he cooperated in the first place, he could have found a working safe used stove. As a result, he was forced to buy a brand spanking new one. Residents have to provide their own fridges. Although some apts. come with one.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #14546
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1! I buy a few pounds of turkey necks and roast them with root veggies to use to make about 2-3 quarts of stock. Yum!
what about chicken feet? what are they good for, stock? anything?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #14547
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
what about chicken feet? what are they good for, stock? anything?
Ask Frank Z. There was a post about voodoo chicken stock a while back.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #14548
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Really! Coronado? Never heard of it.

I thought about buying a smallish freezer, but my final thought was that I needed to be able to live within my means. I mean, think about it. How would I ever use all of it up? That would be wasting food, and Mom would not approve.

It's a challenge, living within my means, but I'm starting to feel proud of myself that I'm actually able to do it and still enjoy the foods I crave.
I have the same problem Z. I have been doing very little cooking for myself. I find myself buying more for what I can make for my kids, than for myself. I went shopping this morning and as Spike was putting the groceries, he kept asking, "What's this for? You never bought this before?" I never buy salt pork, brownie mix, and so many other foods in my cart. They were all for the kids and their requests. Two months ago I bought a family pack of chicken thighs, two large steaks, and a family pack of Italian sausages. Most of them are still in the freezer. When preparing them for the freezer, I made them up in packs of twos. Most of the time I only eat one. I am going to have to change my ways of preparing meats for the freezer.

I bought a round loaf of Italian bread. I toasted one piece and cut it in half. Sliced up a tomato, and with mayo, made myself a sandwich. I then cut the half sandwich in half again, and could only eat half of that. One chicken thigh with a small baked potato. More than enough for me. My freezer never is empty though. I wish I knew why I can't eat a full meal like other folks.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #14549
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Really! Coronado? Never heard of it.

I thought about buying a smallish freezer, but my final thought was that I needed to be able to live within my means. I mean, think about it. How would I ever use all of it up? That would be wasting food, and Mom would not approve.

It's a challenge, living within my means, but I'm starting to feel proud of myself that I'm actually able to do it and still enjoy the foods I crave.
Apparently Coronado were made in the beginning by Admiral and sold in Gambles stores. We got ours from a friend who upgraded to a larger one, he sold it to us (it was already 25 years old then) for $20, 22 years later it's still humming away.

The small freezer allows me to go in with 5 friends every year on a grass fed beef. We trade around until we are all happy with the portions we have. It's a yearly party with us cooking up and eating the t-bones that night.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #14550
Master Chef

That sounds like a great party!