"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #14631
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
Just got off the phone, talked to my brother, sister in law, and my older sister! Christmas is now sorted! My brother and his wife are hosting again this year, they have 4 boys, aged 7,4, and the twins are 2 1/2 so it's much easier for us to go to them than the other way around. Hubs and I are 5 hrs west of their farm, my older sister is 3 hours east from them, and my dad shares a yard with them. My mom and stepdad will be invited, but I doubt they will come. The last time they visited was just after the twins were born in May 2011. I mean, it's my mom and stepdads choice, but it makes me sad.

Either way, hooray! We have plans made, and I can start shopping :)
(((Hugs Toffi)))

It probably cuts down on the drama. Might be an idea to invite your mum when your dad won't be there.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #14632
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Just got off the phone, talked to my brother, sister in law, and my older sister! Christmas is now sorted! My brother and his wife are hosting again this year, they have 4 boys, aged 7,4, and the twins are 2 1/2 so it's much easier for us to go to them than the other way around. Hubs and I are 5 hrs west of their farm, my older sister is 3 hours east from them, and my dad shares a yard with them. My mom and stepdad will be invited, but I doubt they will come. The last time they visited was just after the twins were born in May 2011. I mean, it's my mom and stepdads choice, but it makes me sad.

Hooray! Let the shopping begin!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #14633
Master Chef

Quote:

Yay! Sounds like you are the one to do your best to get the family together. That can be tricky, huh? Happy shopping, and make some time for you, too.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #14634
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs Toffi))) It probably cuts down on the drama. Might be an idea to invite your mum when your dad won't be there.
Thanks tax lady :) my mum and dad get on quite well, they've been divorced for 25 years. Mom can be rather passive aggressive, so less drama definitely!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #14635
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Yay! Sounds like you are the one to do your best to get the family together. That can be tricky, huh? Happy shopping, and make some time for you, too.
Family is super important to me :) Dad is on dialysis now 3 days a week, so we shall go to him, instead of everyone coming here. Lots to coordinate, but fun too. I solemnly swear I will take a bit of time for a good cup of coffee and a book over the next 6 weeks
Old 11-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #14636
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Rob's gaming store is having a big gaming event with proceeds going to charity. They are having a bake sale again this year and apparently what I made last year was a big hit, especially the mini pies out of my pie maker. Those mini pies were an afterthought to use up some apples.

Tonight I made 18 mini apple pies, salty sweet butter pecan cookies and 2 batches of brownies. When it is all cooled, I'll package it all up. My shirt looks like I rolled around in flour, LOL!

My new pastry mat is AWESOME, I don't know how I lived this long without one, makes rolling pie crust a breeze.
I agree pastry mats are great and also a rolling pin sock or cover. The rolling pin cover allows you to use less bench flour, less flour equals a tender result.

Could you share the recipe for the salty sweet butter pecan cookies?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #14637
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I agree pastry mats are great and also a rolling pin sock or cover. The rolling pin cover allows you to use less bench flour, less flour equals a tender result.

Could you share the recipe for the salty sweet butter pecan cookies?
I wish that I could take credit for the recipe, but I can't! The owner of the game store is crazy over these, I've had a ton of compliments every time I've made them.

Salty-Sweet Butter Pecan Cookies: King Arthur Flour

I've used all butter instead of half shortening and they came out fine. The "aging" of the dough overnight is part of their magic.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #14638
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Earlier start than usual for a Saturday. We were up at 6:30. Had showered and had breakfast by 7. Glenn's already on his way to his son's house to help with some of the last construction work on his huge two-bay garage. Not your typical 2-car structure. It's commercial-size, which will allow Kenneth to pursue his car business on the side when he wishes to.

I have some dough in the bread machine doing it's first rise before I turn it into French bread. As of last night I had orders for 28 loaves. I'm helping a friend who teaches at the area university. His class is going to London next month and they are raising spending money for their trip. They've created a very upscale bake sale concept tailored to people's Thanksgiving meals. All the goodies are to be delivered to the customers on Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

They just started selling their items this last Wednesday and if I've already gotten orders for 28 loaves by now, I imagine I'll be quite busy by delivery time.

Today is more of a "test" for me so I can determine how much time I'll have to set aside to fill multiple orders. I have two bread machines, each of which can process dough for 2 loaves. In theory I can make 4 loaves in a relatively short time if I stagger their start times.

It's fun for me and the bonus is the awesome way the baking bread makes the house smell.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #14639
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
And when you are putting presents under the family tree, put one for yourself. Just label the "To" part and leave the "From" part blank. It tells others you are valuable to someone, even if they don't know who put it there. Let folks think you have a Secret Santa! Anyone who can get the whole fam damily peacefully together deserves a special present.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #14640
Chef Extraordinaire

I dropped off the Peter Pumpkin Muffins this morning, rushed back home for that first cup of coffee. After I had collected myself, I went back to the church The Fair is held in the basement and it is not a big room. It was jammed to the walls. What a great crowd. I stayed long enough to buy a cup of coffee. I usually buy at least one item. But not this time. It was just too crowded. If I feel up to it, I may go back later. They have a food table that you can "take out". So I may get a small potato salad. Or Cole Slaw. Maybe both! Aside from what I bake, I always try to spend a few dollars also. I consider it part of my tithe.

Right now I am trying to figure out what I can eat right now that is fast and easy. I didn't eat at all yesterday and I do need to get something into me.