"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #14661
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
I have made another card for Sabrina. I try to bring her nice things when I go to see her and the children.

Now I am relaxing to here.

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #14662
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Don't beat yourself up, SB! You were good all week, nothing wrong with a treat, and 5 Guys is a sometimes meal! Back on the wagon tomorrow.
Absolutely. It isn't at if you decided to go crazy with the carbs and calories. Next time you go to a new restaurant, split a dish with hubby or your daughter. Then when you get home you can check out the nutritional values. Or maybe see if they will allow you to order from the children's menu even if you have to pay full price.

I have done that many times as I get overwhelmed when I see too much food on my plate and then I can't even start to eat anything. I don't mind paying the full price as long as I know the serving is something I can handle.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #14663
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Five guys just opened up recently in town, we went to check it out for supper tonight. All was good until I got home & looked up the nutritional info. almost 700 calories in a small burger & 1/4 order of small fries! argh! I was doing so good all week!!!

If you deduct your normal calorie allowance for dinner the "overage" is really not a big deal.

This is a marathon not a sprint, just keep putting one foot in front of the other!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #14664
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,308
I had a bowl of chili with beans, sour cream and cheese then a bowl of chocolate ice cream for dessert. Was positive my blood sugar would be sky high this morning...it was 97.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #14665
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
That's very colorful, Katie. I'm sure she'll like it for her room.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #14666
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a bowl of chili with beans, sour cream and cheese then a bowl of chocolate ice cream for dessert. Was positive my blood sugar would be sky high this morning...it was 97.
That is great news!! Every once in a while, I am convinced, we need treats to keep us sane!
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #14667
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you deduct your normal calorie allowance for dinner the "overage" is really not a big deal.

This is a marathon not a sprint, just keep putting one foot in front of the other!
Thank you! That is a very good way of putting things in perspective.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #14668
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Absolutely. It isn't at if you decided to go crazy with the carbs and calories. Next time you go to a new restaurant, split a dish with hubby or your daughter. Then when you get home you can check out the nutritional values. Or maybe see if they will allow you to order from the children's menu even if you have to pay full price.

I have done that many times as I get overwhelmed when I see too much food on my plate and then I can't even start to eat anything. I don't mind paying the full price as long as I know the serving is something I can handle.
Good food for thought, thanks for the advice addie!
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #14669
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's very colorful, Katie. I'm sure she'll like it for her room.
I'm sure she'll keep it as a decoration for a while but when she's ready to use the polish, all she has to do is to pry/peel the bottoms of the bottles from the hot glue inside the calyx. Her "blossoms" will be gone but she can have colorful nails.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #14670
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I could have sworn I had a box of brownie mix in the cupboard... so I'm sitting here debating going to the town store to pick up a box. I was really looking forward to some brownies today. Perfect timing really, since my Brownies have a bye week today. Some kind of "brownies" today would be nice.

I just returned from the city where Giant Eagle was having a sale on lobster tails. Perfect timing, since I will need a couple soon.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.