What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More like "what did you do". I made nearly two dozen cabbage rolls, AKA Gołąbki, for supper tonight :yum:...and another night :yum: ...and two more nights tucked away in the freezer. :yum: :yum:

Attachments

• 20171006_215506.jpg
    20171006_215506.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 93
I had a very productive day off yesterday, even though it started off very badly.

On my way home in the morning two days ago, my cell phone decided to quit. It would intermittently power itself off, then would get stuck in a "boot loop", never finishing the boot up. If you removed the battery for a while, it would start to work again, but each subsequent crash occurred sooner and lasted longer until I couldn't get it to boot up at all.

I read in some forums that a trick to be able to get it to boot up long enough to be able to back up data to the removable sd card was to put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. That worked, but as soon as it began to warm up, the damn thing would crash again. So, there I am sitting at the kitchen counter, backing up files on my phone which was sitting on a baggie of ice cubes.

I went online to Verizon wireless and found out that I still owed $170 on the phone, and it was out of warranty. OK, so, at least I was able to save pictures and other files I wanted, but now I figured that I had to bite the bullet and after paying off the old phone, start paying off a new one (around $800) for another 2 years. :(

When I got home, my wife informed me that the attic furnace wasn't working, so I put a call into the service guys. Fortunately, it's very warm here so we don't need it fixed until the guys can show up next week. Plus, the basement furnace was working OK, and that can heat the house somewhat if needed.

Then, just as I was falling asleep, I hear my wife cursing like a sailor. Apparently, the clothes washing machine crapped out. I wasn't draining after the wash cycles. So I got up and looked into the error codes displayed on the machine. I found instructions on cleaning out a pre-filter and went ahead to try to clean it out. Lo and behold, a dime was jammed in the filter along with bits of scotch tape. I thought that would do it, but unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. So DW immediately began researching new washers to buy. I figured there went another grand or so.

Anyway, with all of these things going wrong, I decided to take yesterday off and see if I could get anything fixed. I first poked and prodded and did everything that I could to get the washing machine to work. Just as I was about to give up and go out with DW to buy a new one, I decided to check the output hose for kinks or clogs. Viola'! Another dime and more scotch tape were stuck in a small kink in the hose. Not only did the machine start working again, but instead of buying a new one, I made 20 cents. :)

Next, I brought my phone to Verizon to see if there was anything that they could do. After the kid in the store had no luck with it either, I started looking at new phones but got distracted by some home security camera systems. I asked so many questions that the manager eventually came over to help. I think he thought that I was ready to buy a big camera system, so as a courtesy he put my cell phone under an extended warranty for $11 a month, then put in a request for a replacement.
As soon as that was done, he went full court press on the camera system, but I explained that I already have one but will probably be back to buy one of the new cameras that have two way audio to add on to my system.

When I got home from Verizon, I got some yard work done, then took a look at the attic furnace. It appears that the igniter is shot, which is an easy fix. I wasn't about to mess with a liquid propane system like I used to with the oil burner in our old house, but at least I know that it won't be a big deal for the service guys to repair it.

By the end of the day, the washing machine was fixed, I had a new cell phone on the way, the yard work is almost all done (cored and aerated, just need to add seed), and the only expense will be the igniter repair.

Minus 20 cents.

Wow, Bucky T, that was some day off!

Today I need to catch up on some work - write a blog post, work on a written interview for a colleague and catch up on some reading of other people's blogs. I also have some transcription for a client that needs to get finished.

I also need to clean the kitchen floor and tidy up a bit as we are having our parents and brother over for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. TB is picking up the already ordered groceries after work today!

Listening to Rep. Steve Scalise on "Meet the Press" and getting ready to go fix the beds and get stuff out I need for the rest of my lunch for today. Have a chuck roast with carrots, potatoes, and onions in the slow cooker. Am going to fix some rice and gravy to go with it.

Getting ready for a noisy house this morning..

My grandson, his wife and their two small boys are coming to visit on a one day trip from the San Joaquin Valley..

I'll fix them a big breakfast and they will spend much of their day at the beach and going through the Aquarium before heading home..

Then there will be silence through out the apartment again... ;)

Ross

Not doing much today. I'm debating crawling under the house and fixing a leak, then working on clearing the upper pasture from some more hawthorn. I may also do some winter insulation and spray foaming to help stop some drafts we've lived with for a few years. So it should be a laid back day.

Or if I was smart, I would just lay in bed and debate these things until it is time to start the grill this afternoon.

SO's daughter (GD's mom) arrived from FL today for some RandR following foot surgery. I'm cooking up a pot of sunday ragu with a double batch of meatballs.

Getting ready to visit the Mummy-in-law for the Thanksgiving holiday. We'll spend the night and head home tomorrow evening.

Doing a large load of whites. Right now I have to go down and get them out of the machine. ...Well that job is done. Now to the kitchen. But first I have two surveys to do. I made ten dollars yesterday and the two today will give me another ten. So far I have made more than $100 in just a couple of months. And they are fun to do.

Pirate cut off all the meat from the smoked shoulder I cooked yesterday. Into the freezer for sandwiches down the line.

After the surveys, into the kitchen to clean the that mess up.

I have a batch of 15-bean soup with a ham bone, salt pork, veggies and a chipotle pepper simmering away in the slow cooker for DH's lunches this week. I also have a pot of posole verde simmering in the Dutch oven on the stove. Getting ready to make a quick trip to the grocery store while they cook.

Just came in from the studio where I nearly finished the fabric part of a sun shade for our breezeway area of the front of the house.

I made a 10-foot wide one for the back porch that we installed yesterday. It's going to make a BIG difference in knocking the afternoon sun off our sitting area.

Had some of the special fabric left, just enough for the front, so decided to use it up there.

I'd install it but I don't have all the hardware I need. That'll have to wait until I shop on Tuesday.

Shrek has decided he wants the deck screened in. After looking at kits I decided to put the idea on the back burner(over $4000 for materials, who knows on labor). Was meandering through the Menard's site...LIGHT BULB! Heavy Duty wooden screen doors are inexpensive...15 of them, hinged right I can accordion them back when not needed. I got the hinges, $135 minus the rebate of $135 = free and the cost of a stamp. I'll get the doors 3 at a time when they have the 11% rebate. Voila! a screen door porch and I can paint them wacky colors.

cooking up a batch of pear sauce, like apple sauce but with pears (and more to do tomorrow). Weighing out some garlic labeled by type, in net bags for a buyer. Trying to decide how many garlic we will plant this fall. Nursing some wasp stings from yesterday and trying with all my might to kill and not stun or maim them when they come inside the house because I don't want to suffer more stings.

Shrek has decided he wants the deck screened in. After looking at kits I decided to put the idea on the back burner(over $4000 for materials, who knows on labor). Was meandering through the Menard's site...LIGHT BULB! Heavy Duty wooden screen doors are inexpensive...15 of them, hinged right I can accordion them back when not needed. I got the hinges, $135 minus the rebate of $135 = free and the cost of a stamp. I'll get the doors 3 at a time when they have the 11% rebate. Voila! a screen door porch and I can paint them wacky colors.

It might be easier to screen in Shrek! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
bee-suits-018_square_upper.jpg

420_aerated_suit_round_veil_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom