What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got out of jury duty one time with a note from a doctor saying I was going through daily radiation treatment for cancer. Extreme measures, but I think it was worth it. :LOL:

My last jury duty call, I got picked for a panel of about 100 people. It took two full days to whittle it down to a jury and back up jurors. I got dismissed at the last minute.

After I was dismissed, I was able to do some Googling. It turned out the accused was a serial rapist. :ohmy:

He was found guilty.

CD

I have to say it. It's not been a hardship so I've never tried to get out of jury duty. Most everyone can do that, one way or another. The truth is somebody has to do it and I've been happy to serve as an American citizen. Now, at my age I've paid my dues.

Last edited:
Last year was the closest I ever came to actually being seated on a jury, since it was the only time my number ever came up. I would have gladly served.

It was interesting to at least go through the preliminary voir dire process, and see first hand how it works.

I am one of those strange folks who would love to be picked for jury duty but have never been called. My Mom served in a local case regarding a murder. The jury was sequestered for almost 10 days with a verdict of guilty on all counts. I was a teenager and was so jealous.

I said I was strange. :rolleyes:

I don't have time for jury duty, although I've always been curious what it would be like to serve.

We just got back earlier tonight from Jr and his GF/ and now most happily, our new Daughter's wedding this weekend. She is the nicest woman and is a perfect partner for Jr.

While they don't live that far away, I don't drive and Dx doesn't have good night vision for driving, we stayed at a nearby motel. Indoor swimming pool. Did I get to check that out? Anytime? NO, no frivolity for me.

What was the last thing we did before coming home today? Dx goes, the grands are napping, how about we rake the back yard leaves while the parents are out running post celebration errands this afternoon. Uh,ok, I guess. And since this isn't/ wasn't abut me or us, that's what we did. Then when the 2 kids woke up we took foto's while tossing them into piles of leaves. (Screams and laughter caught on video too.) And the parents have one less something to tackle soon too. I think I'll just call this partly a working vacation, as much as it was a very joyous party weekend.

I got called once. It was for Springfield. Now Springfield is located in the western part of the state. At least an hour's drive by car. I call the number on my notification and asked them if the T had a bus that went by there. Can I catch the bus in front of my house? The man asked me a few more questions and then tells me, "Lady, tear up the notification. I have already crossed your name of the list for this trial and all future trials, no matter where they are taking place. You will never get another notice for jury duty."

I did get called again years later. I brought the notice to Winthrop and they gave me a for letter stating medical issue. Then I turned 70 and do not have to serve.

Having worked in a law office, I know what is involved in serving on a jury. In this state, the rule is "one trial, one day." HA! It never turns out to be one day. It is the luck of the draw. And at that time you got paid the grand sum of $7.00 a day.

I've served on 2, 1 a criminal case and the other a civil case, and was picked for a 3rd criminal case, but after we all drove into the city, went thru the hassle of parking and getting into the courthouse, etc., we were informed the defendant took a plea. I've also not been picked for 3, 1 more than likely because I had a prescription for a strong narcotic at the time because of an injury and that's what the charge was about, i.e.not having 1 but having the drug, the second because a family member had been involved in a similar situation, and the third because I was at the tail end of the pickings for that pool and you could tell the attorneys had their picks because they just sort of went through the motions with the last 5 or 6 of us when they were asking their questions.

I don't mind serving on a jury, but I do mind having to drive downtown in the traffic, dealing with the hassle of parking at the courthouse and getting into the courthouse.

I've never minded serving on a jury but, our court is too far away, considering commute traffic, so I have opted out using the age thingy..

Its amazing how often I use the age card.. It works when I have to interact with just about any business..

"I'm late 70's and not too well"... "I understand sir and will do all I can to take care of your problem"... I love that stuff... ;)

Ross

My sister served on a murder trial. It lasted for more than two weeks. Guilty. The next time she got called it was for a wrongful death. Drunk driver vs dead pedestrian. The next time she was called it was for a drunk driver again. Only this time she got dismissed immediately when she stated that she had just buried her son only two months ago due to a drunk driver.

Then she was in the hospital at the time. She called from the hospital and the person who answered asked her how long she was going to be in there and what was her medical problem. All she would tell the other person was that she was waiting to go up to surgery. The other person kept asking about her medical condition. Finally my sister asked to speak to her supervisor. Her supervisor came on and in less than ten seconds, the problem was solved. No jury duty that time. Or ever again.

I was called up for jury duty last year. Wouldn't you know, the trial was the same day as my disability hearing - the one that took two years to get and for which you need to provide a good reason not to attend.

So I called, explained the problem, and was excused immediately. If I hadn't been, I was just going to let the judges duke it out over who got me that day.

I'm sad that I've never been called for jury duty and now that I'm disabled, I can't do it. I've always been fascinated by the law. Oh well, can't have everything.

I have a pot of lasagna sauce simmering on the stove. We're leaving Thursday to spend several days at my in-laws in Michigan and we make dozens of freezer meals for my FIL while we're there (my MIL is in a nursing home). I'll save some here for DH's birthday lasagna dinner in November and freeze some to take with us. My plan is to make a pasta and veggie dish and stuffed cabbage rolls with the sauce we bring with us.

Seems like you were just there, GG...cooking, portioning, and stocking the in-laws freezer! Time sure does fly. Have a good time and be safe in your travels. I hope the folks are doing as well as can be expected. :)

Seems like you were just there, GG...cooking, portioning, and stocking the in-laws freezer! Time sure does fly. Have a good time and be safe in your travels. I hope the folks are doing as well as can be expected. [emoji2]
We try to go 3-4 times a year. We haven't been since last spring because DH did an internship at a local shipyard in August, which is when we usually go.

I'm hoping there's some fall color left, and that we'll have time to go to an apple orchard for cider and doughnuts :yum:

We started puppy-fying the place today. I put the cat's food dishes back up on her scratching post. She was quite indignant about it, too. She liked having Violet's spot by the kitchen but we don't want the puppy eating cat food and it is easier just to put things back the way they were.

Monkey was also put out because we washed the covers on all the pet beds. They are all put back together, but I guess she is missing Violet's smell. She is sleeping in one of "her" cardboard boxes right now instead of a comfy clean bed.

I am also trying to make some semblance of order in the kitchen. TB finally got my pull-out shelves installed to make getting things like bowls and pots out of the bottom shelves easier for me. Only one got installed because the other is too small. We need to take it back and get the correct one, but that won't be happening this week.

I emptied out the freezer because we are moving it out of the kitchen (yay!) into the storage room once the power has been moved for it (his brother is an electrician and is doing it on Saturday).

In all it has been a productive day and I am hoping to get a good sleep. After all, only 3 more sleeps until a puppy takes over! :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom