"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #14751
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Katie, do you use the boxes that the Post Office provide? No matter the weight, it is just a flat fee for postage. I regularly mail a package to Georgia every few weeks and always use their boxes. I even purchase and print out the label right at home. The P.O. program has the recipients name on file and all I have to do is type in her first name and the rest just shows up and fills in automatic for me. All I have to do is check which size box I am mailing. I pay for the postage through PayPal. I love the system.
No, Addie, I rarely use the boxes provided by the post office. That's usually because, and in this case, the items are way too big to fit in even their largest box.

I do all my postal service mailing online in a manner similar to what you've described. I'm able to print out my addressed label, pay the fee and the mail carrier picks it up at our door. I hardly ever go to the post office, especially this time of the year when it can be a real madhouse.

Another reason I do it this way is due to the postal shutdowns, our local post office (about 5 houses down from us) closed well over a year ago and the nearest one (about 15 miles away) has very, very limited hours and days that it is open. The next full service post office in about 22 miles from us. Except for our little neighborhood facility, the other two are in a direction I hardly ever go.

I'm an efficient packer and try to send things that are not too bulky and don't weigh a lot. For example, we'll see some of the grandchildren in Georgia for the holidays and I've purchased some dumbbell weights for one of the grandsons. Good year to deliver something like that rather than mail it.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #14752
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Home, I'm home! Drive was dry. Shrek missed me, I started missing him this morning.
Glad to hear that you made it safe & sound.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #14753
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Got home from work and cleaned out my cottage cheese container Fibber McGee cupboard, replacing and recycling all the mishmash plastic containers with a really good deal I got from Dining Downloads. Half price Rubbermaid containers, all stackable, with snap together lids. I checked today, now they're all back up to full price.

DH highly doubted that I could get all the Rubbermaids into the cupboard. Ha!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #14754
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Got home from work and cleaned out my cottage cheese container Fibber McGee cupboard, replacing and recycling all the mishmash plastic containers with a really good deal I got from Dining Downloads. Half price Rubbermaid containers, all stackable, with snap together lids. I checked today, now they're all back up to full price.

Feels good, right? I got all new plastics and forbade Shrek using them in the microwave, not a one of them is discolored, melted or warped.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #14755
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
Taking it easy today. Woke up with a migraine and all the lovely side effects to go with it. May do some laundry later, we'll see how I feel
Hope you are feeling better by now, Toffi. Not fun. :-(
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #14756
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

I just did that recently. Oy...the mismatched orphans I found. I love when everything finally matches up in nice stackable storables.

I'll have to check out Dining Downloads.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #14757
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Feels good, right? I got all new plastics and forbade Shrek using them in the microwave, not a one of them is discolored, melted or warped.
Yes! DH keeps opening up the cupboard and marveling. Nothing tumbles out. He initially told me I'd made a really stupid purchase, and that he couldn't believe I bought them. How could I not? 42 pieces! They were half price!

He gets to bag and cook his own crow.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #14758
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

I just did that recently. Oy...the mismatched orphans I found. I love when everything finally matches up in nice stackable storables.

I'll have to check out Dining Downloads.
Sadly, Cheryl, it was a one day deal, and the price went back to regular, but Dining Downloads (a direct link to Amazon) does have some amazing deals. You usually have just one day to get them. Great deals on Kindle and regular books too.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #14759
Master Chef

Thanks for the info, Dawg, I'll have to check there often for their deals. I'm a container fanatic.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #14760
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, I've spent more time than I wanted to on the phone and 'puter. Got a call yesterday eve from the realtor who's selling Mom's house, she heard a noise in the finished basement, went to look, and there was a spewing of water. She turned off a valve, and the spewing stopped. She gave me phone numbers for a trusted water cleanup guy and a plumber. I called them, things should be righted shortly.

I live several states away, and really appreciate the realtor's quick actions and recs. What a mess this could have been! And the 'puter wouldn't allow a contract scan with a signature. And of course, my printer ran out of ink.

Small towns are awesome. I am amazed that they accepted my nonsigned contract for the cleanup, and are so honest and helpful. My realtor is around my age, but I plan to adopt her.