What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I totaled my car in August, the insurance company low-balled me with an amount for the car. I did some online research for the same car/year/model and sent links to the insurance company showing higher prices. They came back with $2,500 more to give me the price I had justified.
KBB shows current market value from $6900 to $8900. Locals dealers are getting over $9000 for their 2009's.

KBB isn't relevant. The key is how much would you have to spend if you went out to buy that car today. Used car prices online are your evidence of how much is fair.

I just took a look at my left leg. The ulcer has shrunk more than half. If I can get that leg healed in the next two weeks, it will reduce my pain level so much. With the three on my right leg, I wouldn't wish just one of these on an ex husband if I had one. Saline Solution. Just fancy words for salt on an open wound. And I have three of them. Oh so much joy. But I still have both legs. I keep my mind on the good news.

I managed to kill a deer and a car before 6 am this morning. I'm fine, Subaru took a big hit. Been on the phone with tow companies, Insurance Agents, Car Rental...have had about 2 hours of sleep since yesterday at 2 pm. Should know tomorrow if it's totaled or not.

Sorry about your car, but I'm very glad to hear you weren't hurt. We see a lot of deer where I live, and I've had a few close calls myself, but have been fortunate so far. Unbelievable the damage they can do. :ohmy:

I managed to kill a deer and a car before 6 am this morning. I'm fine, Subaru took a big hit. Been on the phone with tow companies, Insurance Agents, Car Rental...have had about 2 hours of sleep since yesterday at 2 pm. Should know tomorrow if it's totaled or not.
Oh no, Princess! I'm sorry to hear that but glad you weren't hurt. My in-laws live in deer country and one ran into their SUV once. Take care.

Still have not heard from the Body and Paint guys. Was hoping they would call today while I was home and awake.

PF, did you find out what they are going to do with your vehicle yet? Hoping for the best.

I wanted to try a new pizza crust recipe. I downloaded a Serious Eats recipe for a NY style crust. Mixed up the dough and popped it into the fridge overnight for dinner tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

If you're interested, they developed and tested recipes for three different types of crust: NY style, Neapolitan style and Sicilian-style pan pizza.

The Pizza Lab: Three Doughs to Know | Serious Eats

Looks like they are going to total it, almost $6000 in damage.

If you have a $6000 vehicle with a weak transmission, bad tires and looking at many future repairs, then $6000 isn't a bad deal. If you have a $6000 vehicle and you've just sunk $5000 into the transmission and another $3000 into new tires and other repairs, then $6000 isn't a bargain.(we had the second situation, and damage but not totaled) How do you feel about the insurance?

If you have a $6000 vehicle with a weak transmission, bad tires and looking at many future repairs, then $6000 isn't a bad deal. If you have a $6000 vehicle and you've just sunk $5000 into the transmission and another $3000 into new tires and other repairs, then $6000 isn't a bargain.(we had the second situation, and damage but not totaled) How do you feel about the insurance?

It's a 2009, we paid cash for it used in 2010, (<20,000 miles). We have kept tires on it and maintenance every 6 months. It was running great until it stopped a deer. To replace it with the same year Subaru it will cost ~$9000. I am going to be using that as a bargaining chip with the insurance tomorrow. I have confidence in my insurance company, we've been with them for over 20 years.

It's a 2009, we paid cash for it used in 2010, (<20,000 miles). We have kept tires on it and maintenance every 6 months. It was running great until it stopped a deer. To replace it with the same year Subaru it will cost ~$9000. I am going to be using that as a bargaining chip with the insurance tomorrow. I have confidence in my insurance company, we've been with them for over 20 years.

I hope your negotiation works out well for you. That is quite a spread between $6000 and $9000. Sounds like a great plan. Don't be afraid to go for more than one bargaining chips/advertisements of Subaru's at the $9000, if that is what is available at this time. Best of luck.

I have never gone car shopping alone, but had to when we got rear ended a couple of years ago and they totaled my car. Either a parent had always gone with me or Craig had. He was under a time crunch with a job that had to be done and the other driver's insurance company had finally given us a decent settlement for my car. Craig and I had discussed general parameters and had looked at what was available so off I went. Of course I get to these places and they no longer had the car we had been looking at in their ad and started the hard sell on me. I'd call him, nope. Onto the next one, nope. Finally, I got to one that actually has the car in the ad. Craig isn't far away so he comes to take a quick look, okay with him. I go to do paperwork and watch the price get higher and higher. Do you know some places actually try to charge you more when you are paying cash than financing because they make money off the financing? Apparently that is common down here.
Besides all the dealer junk fees they try to charge. After about the third phone call while being at this one place to Craig and the price they want being several $1000 more than advertised, I'm frazzled and upset, I know Craig is about to lose it with me and them, so when the salesman comes back with a # that is lower, but still not even close to what Craig and I discussed, I lost it, started crying, told the man I was sorry I had wasted his time, gathered up my things, started to get up to leave. He told me wait a minute, let's talk some more and I'll go back to my manager. Asked me what our top # was, which was advertised price plus tax, plus salesman commission, with a little extra for the dealer fees, not anywhere near what they wanted but some. Certainly not more because we were paying cash instead of financing. They ended up taking what we offered. Got a 2 year newer same exact car with not quite 10,000 miles more on it than my old one (really low mileage as I don't drive a lot) for $1500 more in cash than what insurance gave us.

I don't know if it was the crying, which wasn't deliberate, I was just worn out, done and over the whole thing, or getting up and obviously upset and really going to leave, or that it really was a fair offer, or a combo of all 3, but I sure was glad it was done.

Oh, our totaled car was 5 years, 6 months old when the guy hit us. Bought new and just paid off 6 months prior.

Last edited:
Sometimes those tears of a woman can bring about a miracle. When are men going to learn that women know how to use the weapons God gave them? ;);)

Glad to hear the happy ending medtran. Good job!

Princess, I am sorry to hear about your accident, the deer and your having to deal with the insurance. I barely missed a family of deer at night on the highway from Regina to Rapid City SD. Sending you big hugs.

Back
Top Bottom